ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO : Cleaning geeks

Hey :approve:

Need to clean my vee wheels as they are looking awful.

I've used various cleaners in the passed and currently use AG wheel cleaner. It's not good enough.

Basically what i'm wanting is an acidic concentrated solution which will bring them up like brand new. I'm not going to be using it very often as i'll get them looking spot on them seal them so it's easier to clean in the future.

I've used a really good one before but can't remember the name and I don't think you could buy it in the shops.

What's the best product I can buy on the market and where from?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i use hydrochloric acid diluted with water. leave on for a VERY brief time then wash off with normal suds and jety spray. don't do it very often mind...

result = new wheels :)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Jay said:
wonder wheels watered down.

Like jay says , or try fairy power spray ,leave it for 5 mins to soak . Thats what i use on my 182 wheels all the time , then i power wash off or just hose off if you don't have a power washer ,best stuff i've used so far . Get yourself a good brush as well , these brushes from Halfords really shift the s**t and get right into the wheels , wonder wheels from Halfords also .

ALLOYWHEELBRUSHSmall.jpg

BMW E46 330i Touring
Yeah, Wonder Wheels is about as strong as it gets, burns your fingers to buggery... the pastry baster thing they pass off as a brush with it is rubbish though.

Fiat Coupe 20vt
Meguiars Hot Rims, is also very strong another of those that takes your breath away and burns your fingers. I prefer it to Wonder Wheels though as the foam clings to the wheel.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
wonder wheels is the shiznit...i tried every wheel cleaning product and wonder wheels was the only thing to shift the dirt!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Brick acid patio cleaner from B&Q every time. Don't leave it on for longer than 1 minute though.

Seems alright, is there any easier way of applying it? I spent about 10 mins each wheel and they came up alright but nothing special. Cleaner than I've had them I admit but I still think they may soon need a refurb. If so I think i'll be going for the black look.

Does anyone concentrate the wonder wheels with water in a spray bottle and spray it on like AG wheel cleaner? or is it better to leave it un-concentrated?

I bought a 1 litre bottle and I seemed to have used a fair bit already. I did use a spray on wax after I cleaned the wheels to seal them but they looked worse after I waxed them (came out with little bloches on them).

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Try polishing them with megs scratch x or autoglym super resin polish then you could either seal them with AG extra gloss protection or just apply some wax after the polish .

I polished one wheel up with AG SRP but didnt really make much difference.

I'm gonna sand blast the b******s :)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^ pmsl . Seriously , try the megs scratch x if that doesn't make em shine nothing will . Do you think the blotches might be under the lacquer ?It definitely sounds like the wonder wheels has attacked the lacquer .

Most probably, they are on the rear wheels. Gives me an excuse to refurb them soon as there are some kurb marks on them anyway. They have looked better.

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
superfastdan said:
Brick acid patio cleaner from B&Q every time. Don't leave it on for longer than 1 minute though.

Im kinda hoping your having a laugh here.I use that stuff all the time for its intented purpose and i sure as hell wouldnt put it anywhere near my wheels!!!!!!

I needed a good 'acid based' cleaner for my alloys once as they had brake dust baked on that hadnt been washed by the previous owner.. so I bought a spray, and I went to do the 1st wheel and gave it a good old pump and just as the spray came out the wind changed direction and I took a mouth full of the stuff!! and all my teeth fell out a few days later! :(

soon: 172 Cup
I needed a good 'acid based' cleaner for my alloys once as they had brake dust baked on that hadnt been washed by the previous owner.. so I bought a spray, and I went to do the 1st wheel and gave it a good old pump and just as the spray came out the wind changed direction and I took a mouth full of the stuff!! and all my teeth fell out a few days later!

PMSL!

106 GTi
Yeap - though I decided to get the proper Megs spray bottle for it, think it is 4-1 strong or 10-1 weak. The dilution ratios are on the Label. I use it under the wheel arches and on the tyres as well as the wheels.

Rich said:
Can I test it on your car Butter?

My cars fucked so go ahead!

DIng in side, 2 kerbed wheels, new bumper where someone hit me and to top it off the bodyshop did a great job at washing it with a gritty sponge! Swirl city! Now where can I find a good detailer? ;)