ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO!!!!! - EL CAPPY TAN SLARTY

Mate my email just bust, lucky i copied it.......

reply to you:

"Hello mate,
he is very interested, but his only concern is the ECU. Since its running fly by wire, what ecus could you use? of could you convert it to a mechanical throttle with a potensiometer. Some pics of the ECU and plenum and throttle assembly would be great pleas, and any of the really techy bits that might feature on it...although its only a turbo. oh, and he is also interested in the turbo bottom end and gearboxes.....do the boxes bolt straight onto the f4r and existing clio shafts and mounts?

Would you be able to use the homologation ecu with it? i.e. use it as a base setting and tweek it from there? or is it impossible to use that ecu?

Cheers so much mate!!!!!

Ben"

Hi Ben m8

(this is the reply I sent you via email)

The important bits are..

exhaust manifold and turbo, inlet manifold and boost aware map sensor (ps, the turbo is the excellent Mitsubishi TD04 -10) water cooled too.
compressor can be uprated if required.

I would use the standard throttle body from the 172 and suck through with a blow off valve in vircuit (dump valve)
the homologation ecu I think you can forget, unfortunately.

heres my thoughts and plans re control electronics.

keep standard ecu for all major car features...
either mod the existing map sensor to not see boost and use a boost r****d unit on the ignition and an extra injector in the intake (pwm controlled)

or... use a cable throttle body - off ANYTHING - as suck through with any aftermarket boost capable ecu - ie - emerald m3d. this would be as WELL as
the original ecu.

boost control is available with a PWM valve (the valve is already there !) but a small micro would be needed to control it.. a simple map of load v rpm would be used to control boost.

I could make and supply the boost power control no probs.

keeping the original is probably the first approach though.

Re the 6 speed gearboxes, I am hoping that they will fit with no mods (they will bolt straight on no probs (the shafts may be the tricky part, maybe not), but will have to play that by ear...

Joe

CHeers! got it...

emerald would not be ablt to work with fly by wire would it.

could you keep the original inlet mfold and adapt the map sensors etc? or would it still be easier to put the 172 throttle on the turbo plenum, maybe the MK1 cable throttle would be the easiest solution.

CHeers! got it...

emerald would not be ablt to work with fly by wire would it.

could you keep the original inlet mfold and adapt the map sensors etc? or would it still be easier to put the 172 throttle on the turbo plenum, maybe the MK1 cable throttle would be the easiest solution.

cyl 4 - gearbox end.

if using the emerald, I would convert to direct drive.. not cable..

ie, I would drive the throttle body motor (a stepper I believe) from the pedal input.. the original ecu would think it had control over the throttle body motor, but it would be disconnected.

a simple circuit to convert pedal postion to throttle flap position would be made.. the emerals would see it as a normal throttle position sensor... clever eh LOL...

No messy cables, and the throttle plate follows the pedal position fully.

using this method it is possible to add aftermarket traction control too.

Joe

oh, re the original inlet manifold.. no, it would interfere with the outlet pipe of the turbo.

also, do you have left hand drive or right hand drive in HK ??..

left hand drive would be an easier conversion as the brake master cylinder res is out of the way for the down pipe.

on a rhd clio, it would need a bend in the downpipe or a remote res fitting, but the downpipe can be manufactured easily.

Joe

there UK spec cars.

RE this "I would drive the throttle body motor (a stepper I believe) from the pedal input.. the original ecu would think it had control over the throttle body motor, but it would be disconnected."

dont quite understand.....are we talking if we changed to a cable or direct drive? Whats your idea of direct drive?

Cheers mate, im not a turbo person really.....having never worked on one. But most workings and theory i understand. bar some electronics, i really am a simpe carb and clockwork guy, even though im 20....oooer.

ok, heres what I mean by direct drive..

at the moment, the ecu controls the position of the throttlebody butterfly plate by driving a stepper motor.. it computes this from the position of the throttle pedal and the load.

what we do is... (this is only to use with an aftermarket engine management)

put a black box (magic piece of electronics) fed from the throttle pedal.. we then use throttle pedal info only to control the position of the throttle body butterfly 1:1.. halfway on pedal is halfway on butterfly etc..

now the pedal and throttlebody plate are working together, the ecu no longer has control.

we leave the feed from the throttle pedal into the existing ecu, but the output from the ecu to the throttle body drive motor is disconnected.. the existing ecu thinks it is driving the plate, but it isnt.... our little black box is.

now, to use this with an aftermarket ec just needs a normal throttle position sensor driven from the throttleplate drive motor shaft yep ??

Joe.

oh ok mate!!!
were talking simple servo action.

didnt know that the ecu took load into acount though....i thought it was already 1:1

Cheers

oh ok mate!!!
were talking simple servo action.

didnt know that the ecu took load into acount though....i thought it was already 1:1

Cheers