ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO of everyone whos done the ph1>ph2 dash conversion.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Going to be doing this very soon, have started with the plastics etc. Now I've taken apart many an interior and put them back in and can dabble in wiring to an extent as well so thats all fine. I've also read Robs comprehensive guide. Just a couple of questions.

Have any of you swapped the metal cage that the dash bolts too? Or are they the same?

Anyone managed to get new stickers for the rear window switch to become a door unlock and the recirc to become the rear window switch? I know it'll annoy me if they aren't right!

I'm also thinking that I might just use a bit of the loom for the hazard switch rather than gluing the 2 switches together, anyone got a wiring diagram/pic of that to save me the hassle of working out what wire does what?

Cheers
John

I swapped the cage to one from a cup as I had it, from looking at them there wasn't any obvious differences (I didn't look hard tbh)

I.drilled a hole through where the heater switch was for the cig lighter lol, so I can't help.

Just glue it, piece of piss ;)

Hope my answers help

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Grand, if theres no point changing the cage then I won't be doing that! Saves untangling a lot of wires! I plan to get all the switches working with the dash off and then put it altogether. The luxury of having spare cars!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
TBH I'm only doing this cos we've got all the stuff and in April it'll be 10 years since I started looking at a ph1 dash, time for a change! The ph1 dash doesnt bother me really

Dash didnt rattle, however the rest of the car did.

This was before, you can hear the whole thing rattling lol
[video]http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v1/y2/r/5l8_EVv_jyW.swf?v=10150956733995170&ev=0[/video]

Oh and to hear the rattling not just me pretending to drive you may want to skip to over half way through

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
FYI there is a small mistake in my guide somewhere but it's from so long ago I can't remember what the right way is.

Infact, there's two in the same place.

It's to do with the wiring of the AC panel, I show it one way in a picture, but the text disagree's, also, I'm quite sure the heated rear window button doesn't work.

FYI, if you keep the ph1 panel handy, turn the key to second stage of igniton then test the wires with a multi meter whilst you press the buttons you'll get the answers you need.

If I buy another ph1 this year I'll do the conversion again and update my guide anyway.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Double FYI, if you put the ph2 dash in with care, it'll rattle a LOT less.

Buying a pack of those J clip thing because you'll need some is also a good idea.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Cool cheers for that. Yeah figured I'd it with my multimeter if needs be but if someone had already done it...

Got a ph2 and a ph1 so easy enough to compare and contrast!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If you do it, could you post a picture of the connector, and then what wire you moved where, most of mine is right, I know it, I just know there's one mistake (possibly two) somewhere and it's too long ago to remember. Drives me mental.

If someone local wanted it done I'd jump all over it so I could fix the guide and get it all working perfectly.

Oh, and make sure you get Ady to make up a sticker for your new unlock button ;)

(you end up with two buttons for lock/unlock rather than just one, because the ph1 item is a rocker switch and the ph2 is done with relays the ph1 doesn't have).

I bet you end up massively happy with it though, I know I was when I finished mine, such an improved car.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Ah yeah I bet Ady could do something with it. Aye, I've been trying to find a ph2 button that is a rocker but none of them are anywhere!

Yeah I certainly will take pics, whilst you say the guide isnt 100% its still better than going in blind!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah I was a bit annoyed though because I rushed the guide and rushed the dash, I got it all in before i had it 100%, then ended up pulling that AC panel about 8 times. I thought I'd amended it right, but I've had a few PM's to say I haven't.

I'm pretty sure the switches are just in series within that panel, so if with the ph1 and ph2 panel, you figure out which wire goes live when you press the rear heated window button, and the same for the other button, then you'll know what wire goes where.

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
Rob, did you notice you have to "double click" the a/c button to get it to turn off an on?

I think it's to do with the ph1 having a latching switch, whereas the ph2 is momentary....

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I did actually mate, thanks for reminding me. I was going to look at changing the switches over on the board to make it work. But yeah the ac does need double clicking. Does your heated rear window work Ben?

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
Honest answer Rob...i THINK so. I've only needed it once and it did seem to work...that said I've no idea if it has the same double-click issue as once it was clear I don't know if it turned off or not.

On my V6, there's a red light in the clocks which lights up when rear windscreen heater is active...is that there on a ph1 or not?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
That's awesome Ben.

That light isn't there in the ph1, no. Tbh if I did it again I'd be half tempted to try and splice a ph2 interior loom in, whether it'd work I don't know.

John, depends how competent you are really? When I undertook mine I was just someone with a tool kit, the dash, and a silly idea. Now I know quite a bit more both car wise and electrical wise, so I think I could make a better go at it!!!

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
Well then, in that case I would say it definitely switched on when I hit the button. Whether it needs the old double-click treatment or not I can't confirm at the moment.

172 cup
Sorry for Digging up an old thread, but anyone know if its possible in anyway to wire up a phase 2 airbag just for the passenger?

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
I don't believe so Jack. Not easily anyway but I guess where there's a will there's a way. From memory there's no mounting points that the phase 2 airbag can mount on to. Obviously this is pretty critical and a MAJOR safety concern.

benkay

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Ph2 + Audi S3(8V)
Phase 1 doesn't fit under phase 2 dash I know that much for sure.

Norris1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
I'm not going to worry about airbags, but has anyone got the ph2 hazard switch working?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm not going to worry about airbags, but has anyone got the ph2 hazard switch working?

See my guide, you basically cut two switches up (take the face from the ph2 unit, and the rear from the ph1 unit, some plastic glue), and it all works nice as pie.

Is it possible to repack the Ph.1 airbag into a Ph.2 moulding?

Can't see why not. The ph1 cover is only riveted on.

You'd need fecking balls of steel though, air bags scare me at the best of times.