ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fao Quick 1.8 16v owners

One of my mates has just bought a valver, totally standard apart from k&n. Hes wanting to know how to get the best out of valver, without dropping a 2.0 bottom end in(will be done in time not yet) So I thought this would be best place to ask. So any ideas on the best way to approach this project would be appreciated.

He used to own a 2 litre nova, but has seen the light.

Cheers

If he is planning on dropping in a 2.0 bottom end at some point, I would have thought headwork would be best approach. - Port, skim etc

I have also heard a lot of good things about cams, as the valver engine isnt too torquey as standard, but he should definitely get it chipped at the same time for maximum benefit and to stop lumpy idle.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

All depends on the youths budget really.

With decent cams, headwork, manifold, chip, decent airbox, and a 2.0 it will be a flying machine!

But ur looking at a couple of grand at least!

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Like BBs literature says. The best performance mod is to restore power by changing all filters (dont forget fuel filter) or cleaning any that are non standard (like K&N etc). New plugs, maybe leads. Oil change. Service really. At least that way you wont be down on power through service items.

Then use 10K boost or equivalent stuff to decoke etc and use a good fuel system cleaner to clean injectors, valves etc like STP, Redex or Redline.

Should at least restore the car to factory as new performance or near enough.

My car has Magnex inc decat, BMC CDA which I think is the only IK to use other than a viper (NA for 16v at the mo) and a chip from BB pushing out 147 bhp according to BB rollers. Some people arent getting much more from their Stage 2 mods inc cams.

Been having a bit crack with the lad tonight, and on the way home he put it into third and there was nothing. car was going into gear but no movement, towed it home. Think clutch might of went, hes only had car six days.

Is it complicated and expensive to put a new clutch in???

well the lads got plenty of greenbacks, money isnt an issue, just the chew on! He also had nitrous in the nova, has kept that when sold the nova. Do the valver engines respond well to nitrous, anyone had any experience with it on their valver?

Cheers for the help lads, Think me mate is phoning up k-tec, to see what the crack is with their turbo conversion.

If you really want only to go faster, then the 2.0 F7R bottom end is the way to go. I almost did it myself, but the deal fell through at the very last moment (breakers actually lost the bottom end!).

The previous owner of my Valver had some work done to the head and cams - and the car definitely pulls better than a standard Valver (ask Smoothed Clio ;)). Not massive power gains, but then these cars can vary a lot anyway. Mine made about 10bhp more at the wheels than most standardish Valvers did at a recent RR day - although some like BenJs only mildly moded green one was just 1bhp behind. Go fathom! The graphs showed that my torque didnt tail off at 5000rpm like most Valvers though - just carried on at max level to the red line (effect of cams I guess). So the effect is basically to make the car even more prone to surge in the post 4500rpm power band.

But head work is very expensive, especially compared to the 2.0 bottom end. Theres little extra power/torque with the 2.0 - but its spread lower across the rev range, like 60% of max torque at 2500rpm for a Valver and 85% torque at 2500rpm for a 2.0. So a 2.0 will pull a lot better out of junctions etc where you would have to change down a gear (and waste a second) in a Valver.

My advice would also be to stick to standard wheels for best low down acceleration, possibly with smaller radius (and cheaper) 195/50/15 tyres. I went back from 16s and really noticed the difference. Handles better too - less grip, but more feel and adjustability on the limit.

BMW 320d Sport

LOL I thought everyone had forgotten about my little accident on the rollers!:(

It was running 100 jets no problem on a progressive controller and was a lot quicker than normal. Just that the rollers were the sort that increase the load to get a reading rather than letting the car spin them up. Hence it bogged down the nitrous and blew the induction tract apart as well as cracking all four pistons. Oh well you live and learn...