ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO RICH-D, viper rr day

dont understand this viper thought for the price 250 plus it was an almost guaranteed big bhp improver..if you only get 2-3 bhp increase then what is the point? i want pure bhp increase not an induction kit that sounds nice? and the price for 1bhp is a no no!!!! will the kit work better when you have an exhaust? magnex plus this set up correctly how much bhp should i see at the fly?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

The Viper may only have shown a small improvement at peak in this case, but as I said in an earlier post the test conditions were far from ideal.

But... the peak power figure is not the whole story...

Look at the before & after graph >>>

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1071009571__SilverRSC_standard_vs_Viper_Comparison_01.jpghttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1071009571__SilverRSC_standard_vs_Viper_Comparison_01.jpg

We literally just stuck the Viper on, the standard airbox was still in place, the car was very hot after doing a few runs up already and the ECU wont have had any time to adjust to suit.

Now BenR tells me he has tested a Viper in the past and seen gains of 6bhp at peak, but a more impressive increase in both power (up to 10bhp) and torque in the mid-range, which ties in with the results above, even though it was not the best comparison in the world.

However, my car runs the Viper all the time so the ECU know whats going on and it runs very well with it fitted, so when mine was on the rollers 2 weeks ago, I had easily more power & torque in the low & mid range than any other car there, modded or not!

Here is a comparison of SilverRSCs standard run from last time vs my Viper run from last time >>>

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1071010077__SilverRSC_vs_RichD_Comparison_01.jpghttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1071010077__SilverRSC_vs_RichD_Comparison_01.jpg

(cant compare this time with last time, as readings were all higher)

Think where the car needs the extra grunt most, and it aint for a split second as you touch the redline! ;)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by aledw on 09 December 2003

Anyone RRd a Viper + R-Sport ECU yet?
No...

But, Chris n nics Cup was run last time out and that has an R-Sport ECU, a de-cat, a zorst and a normal induction kit.

This is me vs him >>>

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1069969730__RichD_vs_chrisnnic_comparison_01.jpghttp://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1069969730__RichD_vs_chrisnnic_comparison_01.jpg

Again, check out my mid-range (particularly the torque) in comparison and my only mod is the Viper on a 4000 mile old car!!!

Would love to try my Viper on chris n nics Cup to see what happens...

Rhys How can you say the viper kit improves the power and accept the rolling road figures yet do not accept that the figures you got for the inlet manifold are correct or am I getting confused with the results posted. Were all the results that you posted run on the same day at the same rolling road.?.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Nick,

The problem is that all the cars that re-ran again on Saturday were getting higher figures than they were when they ran 2 weeks earlier, so we are not happy comparing cars run on different days!

For example, SilverRSCs mk2 172 is totally 100% factory standard and when he ran first time it made 144bhp @ wheels, which is a figure we expected to see. However, when he ran again this time with another 500 miles on the clock he was getting 156bhp @ wheels peak, with more power & torque across the range, but the plots look similar, so in effect they just moved up the scale!

All the comparison graphs I have done above were done back-to-back on the same day...

p.s. same RR was used both times!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

We re happy that the figures from the first RR day are pretty spot on, but the figures from last Saturday are way too high!!!

Theres no way on this planet a totally boggo 172 with only 1500 miles on the clock has 156bhp @ wheels.

It was a much colder day this time though, so as well as the air being colder & damper, the ground temp was a lot lower and seeing as the rollers are sunk below the floor this could well be whats causing the mis-reading!

Any thoughts Nick???

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

p.s. Id be more than willing to let you use my Cup as another guinea pig!

Its also a hell of a lot easier to get the inlet manifold off on the Cup, as I had a look and the lack of aircon makes it much less hassle than on a 172.

Also, do you think its worth doing the exhaust manifold too?!

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

"Theres no way on this planet a totally boggo 172 with only 1500 miles on the clock has 156bhp @ wheels"

I prefer the word standard mate!! ;)

320d M Sport

my standard 172 made 152 remember, that was same rollers... im startin to think its all horse sh*t to be honest

Quote: Originally posted by N.Hill on 10 December 2003

Rhys How can you say the viper kit improves the power and accept the rolling road figures yet do not accept that the figures you got for the inlet manifold are correct or am I getting confused with the results posted. Were all the results that you posted run on the same day at the same rolling road.?.
Back to back runs with the Viper, so clear gains. Same with when we tested Richs Cup last week with Viper and open throtte body.

Been trying to call to talk about results but no answer....!

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 10 December 2003

It was a much colder day this time though, so as well as the air being colder & damper, the ground temp was a lot lower and seeing as the rollers are sunk below the floor this could well be whats causing the mis-reading!

Any thoughts Nick???
No no no! Definitely was warmer! It was between 2c and 5c on the dashboard temp. gauge first time. 6c last time. Ken said it was colder 2nd time, but he was wrong.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 10 December 2003

my standard 172 made 152 remember, that was same rollers... im startin to think its all horse sh*t to be honest
Yup... I am losing all confidence in rolling roads...

Yours was 152bhp last time, then 143bhp this time, although it aint running right at the moment!

thanks alot guys for giving me the info i needed..cant wait to get the viper...what aboujt warranty issues? is anything goes wrong do you think it wise to take the viper off when it goes into the garage or would this bugger everything up as i am wanting to get the car rolling roaded? cheers..

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Just whip the Viper off if your dealer aint keen on mods, its only a few mins of a job!

Can just swap to the standard and then back again, no probs.