ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO - suspension experts

ok we're trying to figure out how to soften my coilovers up that came on my car. the front have been figured out but the back has a different set up. here's some picture's of the back. bottom and top. anyone know what does what. presuming the top does rebound? but the bottom set up, never seen before? any help please?

top-

ohlinstop2.gif

ohlinstop1.gif

and bottom -

ohlinsbot1.gif

ohlinsbot2.gif

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
Yeah looks like the top is rebound adjustment mate. Not sure on the bottom part, perhaps bump adjustment? Have you tried turning it?

The only problem with the Ohlins damper is that they are monotube design (shim stack) and the valving determines the damper characteristics. Wont be able to soften them up a whole lot mate as they are probably valved for a nice smooth track.

Half stripped mk2 172
Yes mate as gary said, i think its bump adjustment, have a play and see what happens. Why do you want to soften the adjustment, is it really that hard that you cant live with it, cos if i was you i would leave them as they are.

Vince

run115 said:
Yes mate as gary said, i think its bump adjustment, have a play and see what happens. Why do you want to soften the adjustment, is it really that hard that you cant live with it, cos if i was you i would leave them as they are.

Vince

yes its damn hard!

c'mon knowledgable fred.. wats you input?

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
Fred2001Dynamic said:
i guess LEDA is better than Ohlins too??

On the road yes :rasp: haha. If Ben was running leda's then he would be able to set them to exactly how he wants...the range of adjustment is massive and this is due to the twin tube design (technology ;) haha).

If the Ohlins shim stack was valved for the road the they would perform better than the leda's but they would be a compromise. Simple fact is monotube dampers have a very limited range of adjustment....the valving is determined by the shim stack. Need i educate you any more freddie boy? I thought they taught you this in college, or are you still learning about welding? :rasp: ;) lol

Lionel Richie
how do you know what the shim stack setup is? you been on the phone to ohlins or something?

i guess H&R are crap as well then? (monotube incase you didn't know ;))

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
H&R's are good mate, they have carried out extensive testing to get the shim stack valving correct for fast road/light track work. I would buy a set any day of the week.

Anyways, we have gone a little off topic now...I think you will agree that the problem with the ohlins is that you wont know what the shim stack is valved for unless you have the spec from the original owner or perhaps send them back to ohlins. I was just saying chances are they are valved for the track not shitty UK roads :)

Let us know how you get on Ben :)

hiya, thanks for ya help. we gonna turn em down tomorrow and see how they feel. did the front. tried them today , feels a lot nicer. i still have teeth. lol