ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO Those With Existing Safety Devices Roll Cage, Msa Eligibilty

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Hi All,
Although it is allowable to have harnesses up to 10 degrees above horizontal, this is not recommended for Frontal Head Restraints (FHR's) such as HANS. It is recommended that harnesses are angled between 0 and -20 degrees for FHR’s, with a maximum of -45 degrees allowable.
To clarify - 10 degrees above horizontal is not acceptable for FHR, (rather than 'not recommended'.)

clio 182
As others have already said, I'm not keen on the harness bar position seems rather low. And also how it bolts to car is crap in my opinion. Would much prefer to see it sat on mounting boxes that welds to the sills and floor.
That's what I always do when I build cages.

IMG_20170318_194026.jpg

20170205_151014.jpg

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
cant imagine the boxes doing anything but adding a deformable structure where you wouldnt want one. reinforcement to the chassis with plates seems much more sensible, and also in keeping with bluebook guidance.

clio 182
It may be in keeping with the bluebook regs as you say but just having a reinforcement plate that looks like it's being welded in by a gorilla welded to the floor on the front legs will still allow the floor to flex somewhat, the box also ties in the sill equalling a more ridged mounting point.
Same goes for the rear arches, I've fitted a few cages into cars that have previously had a cage in that just bolts through and the arches have been totally deformed where it's been gunned up to meet the cage.

Not having a go, simply putting across my opinion as many have already. As you say it's all within regs but we all have different ways of looking at things.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
I always put a reinforcing plate in first, larger than the base plates/boxes etc as one comment I was told by a scrutineer years ago was the boxes had just seen welded straight to the floor and when it crashed it pierced through the floor.

Those harness bars also look a little low for my linking. I don't think they would suit my harness position at all. My current SD rear cage has the harness bar much higher.

Well excellent service from Safety Devices. Daniel has been a pleasure to deal with. My old cage was collected Monday, and I had my new one delivered today! Lovely quick turn around.

Now to finish cutting the feet out!!

eec2f1fcf809336764fc2cd0f33378c6.jpg

4f01a5426b12ef190701c0b95786fff0.jpg

e09f1ea80b99bc9c215fdf57cd0b5515.jpg

46e6ee04704e3be2be550ee0c7fb42f5.jpg

@SafetyDevicesDaniel

Any pics of the tab you cut out of the dash bar

Hi All,

Following on from post #120 / #136, I thought I'd follow on with more explanation on cutting the steering bar.

It turns out the steering column support bar in our development vehicle was cut before arriving with us, however I have included photos to show how we rejoined the structure on the second vehicle.

We suggest removing the section of steering column support bar using a cutting disc. It's then possible to install the cage for the final time (after test fit and welding/painting of plates) and replace the dashboard before finally inserting and welding the joining stub.

It is possible to weld around the outside of the stub end nearest the steering column, before welding the other end from the outside edge of the end plate as shown in the photos.

The joining stub will be included in all kits.

The steering column support bar in its original form (photo DSC07816)

The bar cut and removed (photo DSC07817)

The replacement stub in position (photo DSC07821)

The stub in position welded at both ends (photo DSC07822)

Attachments

• DSC07816.JPG
    DSC07816.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 578
  • DSC07817.JPG
    DSC07817.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 531
  • DSC07821.JPG
    DSC07821.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 563
  • DSC07822.JPG
    DSC07822.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 540
Right,

Safety devices

Why the f**k are all the mountings different.

This cage could of so easily been mounted to the original points.

8 hours work to cut out and install new ones for no reason!!

Hi Fraser,

The R022 roll cage is a brand new design for the Clio MK2. The R017 roll cage was originally designed for vehicles with trim; however R022 is designed for a fully stripped vehicle. As a result, all of the mounting points have been optimised to suit the new cage layout and to bring it in line with our current design standards.

We have also taken the opportunity to add additional body reinforcing plates to the fitting kit which need to be installed to satisfy the MSA National Homologation requirements.

Thanks

Daniel

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Who has had their new replacement cage? Have they now moved up the harness bar so that the cross diagonal doesn't foul the harness straps?
Hoping to get my cage out in the very near future, but I don't want the harness bar that low on the new one, I want it like their demo cage / like our existing cages.
@SafetyDevicesDaniel

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
I have the new rear cage RO22 and the harness bar is low. The same as Hyperhatch's Clio

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Who has had their new replacement cage? Have they now moved up the harness bar so that the cross diagonal doesn't foul the harness straps?
Hoping to get my cage out in the very near future, but I don't want the harness bar that low on the new one, I want it like their demo cage / like our existing cages.
@SafetyDevicesDaniel

I've been waiting to see what's going to happen about this also, don't like the idea of having the harnesses so low. Think I'll drop Daniel/SD a message and see

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
The height of the harness bar isn't really the issue, it's the diagonal that goes through it.
It's stops you from mounting the harnesses correctly to suit the hans devices as the harnesses need to be tapered together for the hans to work correctly.
downloadfile-2.jpg

See how the new cage has the harnesses tapering away from each other and foul the edges of the harness.
20160611_205355.jpg

Original cage had no fouling and harnesses fit correctly.
This is how the new cage should be too.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Considering the issue SD have had with the old cage and designed a new I doubt they've made a balls up. I've used my cage with harnesses and hans and it was fine

Could you do me a favour and sit in the car with a hans device on, belted up properly and get some one to take a pic from directly behind you to see how the belts are in relation to both you in the seat and to where they are mounted onto the harness bar that would be much appreciated.
Cheers

getikte

ClioSport Club Member
Just out of interest what's to stop the new front section marrying up with the old rear? I bought the top spec r017 rear cage before all this kicked off with the hope of adding he front section. I really like the cage and given all the issues raised on here reg harness bar and hassle of cutting old cage out for new I'd love to avoid that but have the new front section. Could it be modified to work?

Image of my cage below. Double cross with harness bar b pillar mounts and tunnel brace.

Screenshot_2017-04-26-12-14-14.png

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I don't believe it can I'm afraid, the new cage is wider and a tighter for to the shell of the car than the r016/7 cages.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I have the older style rear cage, but have no plans to compete in anything. Is the older style front cage being reduced? I was hoping to add this over next winter.

Hi Guys,

Following on from previous comments, I can confirm that Safety Devices now have a small selection of 2nd hand track day / not for competition use roll cages available for purchase.

These cages can be purchased directly through our online webshop.

If you require any further information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Daniel

Attachments

• DSC08823.JPG
    DSC08823.JPG
    283.8 KB · Views: 384
  • DSC08841.JPG
    DSC08841.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 397
  • DSC08852.JPG
    DSC08852.JPG
    271 KB · Views: 391
  • DSC08855.JPG
    DSC08855.JPG
    274.6 KB · Views: 453

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Hi Guys,

Following on from previous comments, I can confirm that Safety Devices now have a small selection of 2nd hand track day / not for competition use roll cages available for purchase.

These cages can be purchased directly through our online webshop.

If you require any further information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards

Daniel

Great idea.
Nothing for Mk3 Clios though. :(

Clio RS 197
Is that the case? On the safety devices website for the RO20 cage, it now says "not for competition use". I've checked with Mark Fish and apparently the same issue applies...

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Finally got round to removing my cage yesterday so it's ready to be collected. I have emailed @SafetyDevicesDaniel with the information they needed.
I have also asked if I could have the harness bar at the same height as my original cage so that my harnesses don't get fouled by the diagonals.
My car looks naked now
20170712_161421.jpg

Clio 172 (CUP)
Finally got round to removing my cage yesterday so it's ready to be collected. I have emailed @SafetyDevicesDaniel with the information they needed.
I have also asked if I could have the harness bar at the same height as my original cage so that my harnesses don't get fouled by the diagonals.
My car looks naked now
View attachment 193678
Did they accept the request for the harness bar, as I'll be requesting the same? Cheers