ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO...valver owners

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i am pritty sure i will be getting a valver soon....hopefully.
if possible could people post info on running costs etc as i wanna try and calculate whether i can afford it.

petrol (how many miles to a tank)
i heard the worst time for problems is between 80-100,000 miles is this true
all information if possible please

cheers neil

BMW 320d Sport

I used to get 250 miles to a tank with a bit of luck. But dont buy a valver if you want fuel economy, and expect it to use a litre of oil every 1000 miles. At least it runs on normal 95 RON unleaded unlike a lot of modern cars. An 80k miler could be alright - cambelt and clutch could have been changed. On the other hand the owner might have had a quote for them and decided to sell, and thats more likely. Neither job is easy to do unless youre a good mechanic and youve got a lot of time on your hands. Like all mk1 Clios, people tend to sell just before the major service and the big bills come up at 72k.

Quote: Originally posted by Freebone on 16 January 2005

petrol (how many miles to a tank)
i heard the worst time for problems is between 80-100,000 miles is this true
all information if possible please

lol - thats about right between 80 miles and 100,000 miles is about right!

Clio 182

Basically what Nick said, Theyre ok on petrol if your not hammering it. I get about 70/80 miles to a tenner on average. They do cost quite a bit to run and you need to be prepared to graze your nuckles for ANY job on them, lol

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

so would i really need to be prepared to put all my spare cash into if needs be as i do have a very expensive mountain bike to keep up together and also other interests...

so even if i am buying a minter i should expect problems around 80 - 100,000 miles

Yer pal, if you just want a car to drive and to be quite quick then I prob wouldnt go for an old valver because at the end of the day theyve all been driven hard pal.

Like Nick said,

Fuel - around 180 miles to £20,
Oil as nick said a litre every 1k.
Servicing - cam belt around £250
Clutch prob similar,
General service not to bad,
Insurance depends on your age,
Tax - £165 a year.

If you enjoy spending a good few hundred on your motors then expect to pay for stuff, however if your not that bothered then you could be getting bills that you might not want!

Danny

or u could look at it another way -

if u go for an older valver then theres likelyhood of all the problems have already happened and been sorted out

Valvers are NOT cheap to run but, nevertheless, they are fantastic cars to drive and are a lot quicker than than most cars on the road.

Ive had mine for a year, bought on 63k and now on 72k and the only things that have gone wrong with it are a new clutch & cable and ball joint that was highlighted at service. As said, petrol is ok if you dont have a heavy right foot, but it still aint great.

If you do go for one, then make sure it has a proper service history and question the owner to find out about any work that it has undergone, Clutch, gearbox, suspension, cambelt etc, as none of this is cheap to replace if it goes wrong.

granny shifting below 3k I can push 280 miles to a tank at last count it cost me bang on 37 quid to fill up with a very empty tank (orange light on). However a good service history or enthusiast owned clio is essential if you pay peanuts you get a monkey basically. I made this mistake and bought one with 82k on the clock and since then I have had the clutch replaced, a couple of clutch cables, speedo cable, new radiator, ball joint, wheel bearing, sunroof, discs all round and it needs an engine mount doing lol but dont let me put you off, just make sure you get a good one and dont buy the first one you see.

Have fun!

Pete

i bought what i thought was a very good conditioned valver on 82k miles for £1625 which was well within my budget. But after 1 day the big ends seized on its first motorway journey :( (not sure if the previous owner could have known about the fact the oil pump was going to seize?). So it cost me a further grand from the first day.

Ive spent about £150 in oil since buying it 6 months ago (£70 filling the engine and the rest topping it up! :S), i get about 25mpg on average (mixture of hammering it and taking it easy). I only got this car because i really wanted one for years and years. if youre desperate and willing to make sacrifices (ie having no money for a social life :p) then go for it. If your a little put off but still want one, then just make sure its a minter. Spend more now rather than later imo.

That may sound negative but at the end of the day I love my car :) Ive spent alot repairing it but now that everything is repaired, it should last for ages. Ive seen these engines go to 150kmiles!

Not cheap to run, drinks fuel but worth every penny. Get on some B roads and give it some hammer, the smile on your face will make all those visits to the petrol station worth while :D

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

well ihave an rt right now, and am getting around 290 to a tank, i do really wanna valver, have for a long while, but i drive to uni 5 days a week,bout 40 miles a day, do you knowledgable owners think even if i get a minter that i will be struggling with problems.

not worried really bout money for a social life, more for my bike.

I dont have many problems with my valver, in twelve months ive had to replace the battery and a clutch cable so just over £100. Its done 90k but is mint. As long as you buy one thats been looked after i think you should be fine.

The Jinx

I dont think youd have any problems if you bought an absolute minter mate. Older ones can actually be better as theyve had most of the major jobs done.

The Kirmanators is such an example, and mines getting there. Kirmanators spent a small fortune getting his tidy, but once in that condition they shouldnt cost much more than any old car to maintain. The biggest problem is so many have been neglected or not given enough love.

Im sure many 172s will turn out the same, if owned by non-enthusiasts.

Edit to add: In terms of reliability mines been great, very little broken. Only stuff Ive forked out on is stuff I knew it needed before I bought it or stuff that Ive had done for peace of mind.
[Edited by Swervin_Mervin on 1/17/2005 12:34:32 PM]

190 BHP Willy 2

Paid 1150 for mine with 96k on the clock - have had it a year now, drive it fairly hard sometimes and have had no problems - apart from having to change the brakes.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Get arround 400 miles per tank as you dont have to drive above 4.5k all the time, only when you want to.

Oil usage isnt a litre a month either. Last work on my car was done at 72k when cambelt was changed and also got clutch done. Nothing apart from oil changes since and on 96k.

The Jinx

Dont know the other 2 but Kirmanators is a minter and Im sure all the NW boys would tell you so. I reckon it must be a virtually new car underneath!

Its also a quick un for some unknown reason.

Mine doesnt use a litre a month. Ive just recently changed the lot after 6k miles and it had hardly used any. I tend to get about 250 from a tank but my commute hardly warms the car up properly and is generally quite heavy stop/start traffic.

I reckon I could see 300 on a longish run. The trick is not to floor it at low revs. It sounds nice but doesnt shift and drinks the fuel. Best to ease it up to 3.5k before flooring it, or changing down to get suitably high revs.

[Edited by Swervin_Mervin on 1/17/2005 1:33:58 PM]

megane coupe F7R

Mine has hardly cost me anythin in 2 years and its now got 137k on the clock. If you drive it below 4k you will get £80 to a tenner but if you nail it everywhere everyday you will probably get 60 to a tenner and you will have to buy a litre of oil every month. They are a good car if looked after and they are reliable. Only costly when they break due to the fact every engine part is so hard to get to when it needs fixing. Therefore you pay alot to garages for labour. If you are good with an engine then its as cheap to run as the next car really. Renault quoted me £800 for a clutch to be fitted!! It cost me £100 for the clutch from renault and 2 days off the road.

It doesnt need a litre of oil a month but you can see that it uses it, however I like the oil to always be at the max level so like to keep it topped up!

Swervins right the kirminators is a very good car and in fact so are most of the older motors off this forum as i would think anybody interested enough to go on the forum likes to take pride in their cars! So i would say if you are going to buy one then look here first!

They cost as much as you would like them to cost in some respects and some of the work doesnt need doing but if your like me for peace of mind and getting the best out of the car you get it done!

Danny

Quote: Originally posted by Matty on 17 January 2005

Get arround 400 miles per tank as you dont have to drive above 4.5k all the time, only when you want to.
:eek: you got a diesel mate? lol

Think the best ive had is 280miles to a full tank, not thrashin it all the time just sittin on the motorway @ 80mph

Naples 16v

Ahh I love reading all these passionate replies....Realise Im far from the only besotted Valver owner. What tha f**k sort of auto affrodiziac did renault put in these cars?

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Commute on Bypass for half my journey and a/b roads the rest and get around 360-400 depending if ecotek is on or off. That is the warning light plus another 40 miles as always know I have about 40 miles or so when the light comes on. Then about 40 quid to fill up.

They are great cars if you look after them. Replace bits as they need doing rather than because you feel like it and they are cost effective. When stuff wears out, replace with better. Thats what I did since buying with 44k, 52k later I have:

Replaced oil/filter every 6k (20 quid for duckhams semi oil/filter change at National Tyres)

Brakes replaced with Tarox G88 all round when old were knackered (easy to fit apart from new rear bearings)

new front wheel bearings 26 quid each plus 70 quid labour

Coilovers 480 quid including fitting (FK Automotive)

Clutch 48 quid from GSF and 200 labour (cable done at same time and cost about 15 quid)

Alternator, 80 quid plus 150 labour

Cambelt change doneat BB at 72k for 137 quid

Waterpump found to be corroded and changed at same time.

Dizzy cap and rotor arm changed 1 year ago as all contacts shot 25 quid

New battery last year 40 quid with 4yr guarantee

Tyres 50 quid each in 195/50/15 for eagle f1s

Spark plugs, Champion Eons at 20 quid a time.

Stuff that didnt really need doing include a BMC CDA kit (although had to get rid of K&N that car came with) Magnex Decat to match the Magnex car came with, BB Chip, Magnecor leads and Supersprint Manifold. Also leather interior, Willy spoiler.

4 years of Valver ownership and loving it.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i just dont know what to do. i dont wanna get one then find i cant afford to run it, firstly i have to see what i can get for mine, then have to work out insurance etc....

you guys are really helping though, making my decision real tough..cheers

more opinions welcome.........

Clio 190bhp Hybrid

Always wanted a 205 GTI but thought I woudl only be able to afford the 1.6. Then plumped for the Valver at group 11 insurance and 5K for a 5 years old car with 44k miles on it. Worth getting only if you can afford the insurance, Think mine was 500quid region when I got it at 26 and isnt much less with 3 points and 2 claims 4 years later.

Look afetr the car by doing the odd thing now and again and tehy are fine. Found 10k boost helped, as does a fuel system cleaner every 5-6k. Little jobs like spark plugs, dizzy cap and rotor arm, plug leads, headlight bulbs, switch replacement, brakes etc are easy. Anything engine related is a nightmare through lack of space.

Did my first oil change 2 weeks ago as always got it done at National Tyres who charged 15 and now 20 quid for teh whole job. Only did it because I got Castrol Rs cheap and wanted to use Forte additives. Oil filter is just ridiculous to get at and came undone a little so lost a bit of oil over a week until I got back under the car.

So if I was you I would check your insurance, then check motors. If the clutch is heavy it shouldnt be. They are heavyand people get used to them but that is because they tighten up as they wear until they eventually go. A new one will be noticable lighter but still heavier than a normal car. Check this and cambelt depending on age and milage and they are the two most expensive jobs to steer clear of. Check for noises and squeaks too. Rattes couild be from trim but knocking from mounts, bearings or something worse.

Vee dub

If the valver has been well looked after and maintained, it should be fine to take to uni etc. As long as its serviced and oil changes are done it will be fine as your clocking up the miles. You wont look back if you get one!

Tom

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

i was thinking about ivegota16vs one, seems in good nick, will have a look on the weekend i expect..
if its ok to drive to uni how come you drinve you 1.2 to uni....lol

hows you were you been anyways