ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO Valver Strippers + Restorers

One thing ive learnt is never by a new car, without selling the old one first.

Since the Cup arrived a once very loved Valver has been sat on my drive for nearly 9 months, filling up with water and molding. Ive been telling myself week after week, "this weekend ill do her up to sell" but never got my finger out my arse to do it.

But now ive realised i dont actually need to sell her. Dont need the cash, ive spent far to much time/money in the past to justify a sale and i want a project to keep me amused for a while.

Not into the "max power" scene, so i started last night, Stripping her down and preparing a true racing automobile. Ive sort of got the an idea of what i want, just need some advice on which direction i should go from now. Stage 1 Complete;

Removed all seats
Removed carpet
Removed sound deadening(expect piece that goes behind dash)
Removed trimmings(door cards, centre console, rear cards etc)
Removed spare wheel

All im left with is a dash and an empty shell. should i rip out the piece of deadening which goes up behind the dash? i had a feel up behind the dash and its soaking where the foam has soaked water up there. I think to get this out the dash has to be removed which i wasnt sure was worth it or not?

I also got some power to the battery but wish i hadnt. Indicators started flashing, horned started hooting on and off, alram started going haywire, dash lights were going mental so i think its "a bit water loged" lol More work to sort, can i just let it all dry out? will it work after? or will the electics be damaged and need re-wiring? She did fire up first time tho, and was running, but scraping noise coming from cam belt side, maybe tensioner? sounds like a seized bearing of some sort, any ideas?

Stage 2 - Cleaning, restore all borken/worn parts, etc
Stage 3 - Engine Restore(maybe something special later on)
Stage 4 - Race it.

All help and suggestions aprieciated. Mark.

19 16V

Cam belt / aux may have gone porous. A new idler and tensioner wouldnt go a miss. You can get the kit from Renault with idler tensioner and belt for about £90.

Yes take out the sound proofing. Make a custom dash if you can as the OE weighs a fair bit.

You will not need to re-wire it unless it was submerged in water. Alarm will be going loopy because of the lack of power, you need to see your instructions unless it is an OE effort; if it is I can provide you with a link on how to remove it.

The Jinx

Id weld the sunroof up as well. Youre actually doing what Im planning to do to mine in a couple of years if/when I get a newer car.

My long term plan was to keep mine as an out and out trackday car. Consequently the roof would get welded up. The sunrrof weighs a ton ysee and you shouldnt get anymore leaks!

Good luck!

dust!!! hows it going m8?! long time no speak!

You got the cup back yet?? And good call on the valver work! should be interesting!!!!

You can race a clio in the bathtub........

Dont tell me your 19 is a model and you get to play car driver whilst mommy scrubs your back.

I was thinking about the sunroof removal. Had another dodgy idea: remove the whole sunroof unit, get a 16v scoop(the bonnet vent scoop), some perspex and get someone to mold me a roof scoop(rally style) to replace the sunroof! lol But the unit does need to go.

I hope the elecs arent buggered, really not up for re-wire a loom. :cry: But that link will help...ill PM u. How could i go about making a custom dash?? Wouldnt know where to start! And i thought it would probably be the tentioner. When you say porous, does that mean theres a chance the belt may snap from rotting?

Connor - Ello mate, yeh not been too bad. Urself? Got her back in the end, but sadly selling soon as need something faster. Thinking about Scooby Version 6 Sti or even the Type R model. Need something a little more tunable, need a turbo. Whats been happening with your beast? Anything new in mind? Phone me, we should meet for a drink.

Mark.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 22 April 2004
You can race a clio in the bathtub........Dont tell me your 19 is a model and you get to play car driver whilst Chris H scrubs your back.

;)

Aye im alright cheers matey! Cant believe ur selling the cup for a faster car!!! ur the same age as me to! im not happy :p hehe, dont suppose u got any spare jobs there mate?? I need a better job!
& nowts been happening with mine, still not repaired, got a few quotes now tho, should be back on the road by end of may all being well!!!!
Ill give u a bell for sure mate!

I wouldnt hold out for a job if I were you Connor as the company doesnt actually trade anymore...

Mark, good luck in getting a faster car. Maybe you can get something that can keep up with the Cerbera...

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

check it on your hand first though to make sure its not to hot for the little tiger,safety first!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

defo have a look at the scrapping noise because it will get pricey if anything breaks. maybe the water pump,belt tensioner(cambelt or aux)or alternator has partially seized.

*update*

So far ive got it all properly stripped and cleaned up now, inc roof lining! The scrapping noise was the belt tentioner, once we got it off i was spinning it in my hand and it was locking up, lucky. Got that changed. The belt had actually frayed and cracked where it was too close to the engine and rubbing as it went round. dodgy.

Purchased some new seats and harnesses, sparco sprint + 3 points. Fitted the harnesses but need to get the subframes ordered from somewhere. Got the seats from GPR London. very good service, recommended.

Also got a new rack supplied + fitted by a mate for a ton, wow. Makes such and massive difference to the cars whole feel, really happy with that. 4 new yokos which are sweet, A539 £37 a corner all in. So its coming along now, just need to give her a mini service, get the exhaust fitted with decat next week at K-Tec and shes away.

Had a few little tear-ups. Dont really notice the increase from stripping till after 60, pulls a lot better then. but started suprising a few bigger motors. Bit of a sleeper as shes standard except exhaust. Not sure what to do next tho...

lower/ uprate suspension and chip the beast..if the buget allows...cam and pulleys :)

invest in some overalls and a helmet :)

post some pics ...am interested in this....i will be doing the same to my valver next year.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Sounds sweet, I find the driving position is much improved with bucket seats as the standard ones are too high for my liking. Next step maybe get yourself a half cage? Its one of the things on my shopping list, along with a whole load of other things.