ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO Valver/Williams Drivers

Who has an induction kit and who uses a Panel Filter and your reasons why??

[Edited by Justy on 06 January 2005 at 12:26pm]

TT 225

Panel Filter, unless its a closed induction kit it will suck hot air in due to the position of the kit in the engine, thus decreasing power instead of increasing it by sucking in cold air.

Polo GTi

I have a K&N Panel filter on my Willy 3 no reason why, but its gotta be better than the Motor factors paper one, and they cheap enough

Clart

ClioSport Club Member

ive got a k&n just for the noise. will swap it for an ITG panel in an original air box this summer...

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Its so marginal its silly. I have a pipercross induction kit, notice no change to standard appart from a MUCH better noise.

It made 136.5 bhp on the rollers so I lost a whole .5bhp due to the induction kit.

I have a closed induction on the MR2 but that was already there so cant say what effect that has over an open one. Except it doesnt make the sucking noise!

TT 225

Oh, and yea as above, IK make a nice noise, but my car is too loud as it is, drives me mad in the mornings

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

panel filter!

induction kit sucks too much hot air in. iv tried am all, standard, panel, k&n, pipercross, BMC. id choose standard box with panel filter everytime if it is for performance.

190 BHP Willy 2

K&n induction kit for me. Just for the sound and i dont think there as bad as people make out. IMHO of course ;)

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

if ur sat with engine running its especially bad. generally its not too bad in the winter with the cold air, but in summer its like driving through mud with an IK on i thought!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Dust on 06 January 2005

I use panal filter and slightly modded box with extra 60mm cold air feed.

Does the job.
IMHO I think that the panel filter is supposed to give you better low end performance but modding the air box with the cold air feed is supoposed to help get back the higher revs power that you would get from an open air filter........... I think :confused:

So this way you get the best of both!

[Edited by Red_Willy on 06 January 2005 at 1:10pm]

Clio 182

Viper Here, because the last owner put it on. Lol!

Cant be all bad, as its made near on 150bhp at a few rolling roads now with just a viper, decat and magnex.

i got a viper on mine but only cos its f**king freezing at the mo, come summer ill probably put the OE airbox with green filter back on. It made 139.1hp on the rollers with standard box, would be interested to see what it is with the viper on...

I have K&N panel filter and HAD but still own an open K&N IK. The airbox is much better, picks up from low revs and just feels generally better. Miss the noise tho in a way, but my exhaust note is better than listening to the K&N anyway... or the stereo...

The Jinx

I had a K&N IK. I now have an ITG panel filter.

Strangely enough, apart from the whistling you get with the IK, its just as loud with the ITG. Its got better low down response. And it makes a supersonic fighter jet type of noise now. A bit like a supercharger whine, but behind all the normal 16v engine roar.

Its cool.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Yup, itg panel filter in the stnd airbox for me...Ive tried Viper and the car had a K&N when I bought it....for noise and performance the panel filter does the job best IMO!

i have a pipercross induction kit and its only on coz thats wats was on when i got it also i have the standard air box just never been arsed to swap them over mite do it see wat the differance is although it runs ok and im happy with it so

megane coupe F7R

Ive got a pipercross ik. plenty of air feed pipes sort out the heat problem. But only when ya moving at a good speed.

172 Exclusive

I have a Hill Power cold feed induction kit and i find that works for me very well coupled with a cold air feed sitting where the fog light used to be definately alot better than the pipercross filter that i used to have.

But should hopefully have 4 little socks soon

Currently got a k&n panel filter and it seems to be the best ive tried.

Ive also had a K&N IK and the HP IK with heatshield/cold air feed - didnt notice much between them but didnt seem as good as the std airbox. Id be interested to try a Green Cone IK as theyre a bit bigger than the K&N and i miss the noise...maybe with a few air feeds itd be a nice compromise?

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 06 January 2005

Currently got a k&n panel filter and it seems to be the best ive tried.

Ive also had a K&N IK and the HP IK with heatshield/cold air feed - didnt notice much between them but didnt seem as good as the std airbox. Id be interested to try a Green Cone IK as theyre a bit bigger than the K&N and i miss the noise...maybe with a few air feeds itd be a nice compromise?
i doubt it m8, stick with the airbox, its cheap and the best solution by all accounts.

The Jinx

If you want more noise try removing the ducting from the airbox. Mine hasnt got one so maybe thats why mines still quite loud.

I use standard box with cotton filter, although a regularly changed paper filter is just as good as a cotton filter for performance (as demonstrated in unpublished scientific papers). The only advantages a cotton filter gives are that they can be used for longer without changing and are not effected by humidity.

Testing an IK on a RR is about as much help as a chocolate fireguard. The temperature of the air going into the car must be above 60 degrees. Pointless.

2.0 175dci rs meggy

ITG panel Filter - used to have pipercross induction kit but fitted to itg due to poor performence at slow speeds when hot

BMW Z4 2.5si Sport

For the first 3 yrs of Willy ownership, I used a k&n induction kit... Purely cos it was on the car when I got it.... Cos some people said that panel filters in original airbox was better, I got one off ebay for £5 complete with green panel filter :D Obv much quieter with the filter, and my best 1/4 mile time was with the filter, not induction (but cos they were yrs apart etc cant take it that its better).... 163bhp was obtained on rollers back in 2002 with the induction (and decat magnex) - no rr fig as it is now...