ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

fastest car here

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 27 December 2004

And our old Clios probably cost a lot less than a Noble, or a Scooby or an Evo or whatever. And thats the whole point. We just do it for the hell of it. Some people want a hide interior and cup holders. I want a car that is faster than anything else Im likely to encounter and damn the creature comforts.

Hey Nick your getting flustered there ;)

Your right in some aspects, some people with clios can be fast, then again there are also the majority of people who cant drive them well and its only the car that flatters their mistakes.

But i do agree with your last statement where you want a fast car and damn the creature comforts, ok it costs considerably more than a clio but hey, 0-100 in mid 11s is pretty good for 25k new dont you agree? And then there is also room for improvement on that (and the fact that out of the box its quicker than an E46 M3 helps also), but the down side is that it costs more to run, as with the more exotic cars (ferrari for instance, a 355 will cost you 1500 quid for a minor service and 3k for a major :eek:) not cheap but damn it looks good :D

Tony

BMW 320d Sport

Tony, youre spot on mate, 0-100 in 11s is tidy without a doubt. Plus of course everything costs more money once you start tuning. For example, Im usually in the 15-20mpg range, and couldnt hit 25mpg even if I tried, but thats the price you pay for a fast car.

The thing Im trying to get at, is that ok you might buy a Scooby for 25 grand but thats just your baseline...you have a duty to tune it as far as you possibly can, if you claim to be a car enthusiast. I love Scoobys, dont get me wrong. The people Im getting at is those who splash out the most money on what they think is the fastest car or whatever Evo tells them to buy, and then leave it at that. I remember going for a test drive for a laugh, in a bug-eye Scooby WRX when it was new and I was gutted. It was like wading through treacle compared to my Clio. Modding and tuning rules.

williams and trophy

lol....never really wanted to go as slow as a std scooby..........so i havent taken 1 for a spin...the boredom would kill me

BMW 320d Sport

OK then Ill scan in my slips, two from Santa Pod and two from York. First two at the Pod, it depends on what you think is better, the ETs both round to 14.1 but the slightly longer ET has the better terminal of 100.48mph

The York pair are a similar thing (but better runs overall) - 14.059 @101.62 is the better pass, but the other one has my best ever terminal speed 103.51mph after 14.28 seconds, which is roughly 0-100 in low 13s Id say. Pretty damn quick in anyones book.

http://www.nick-read.demon.co.uk/quarter mile times 2004.jpg">

Quote: Originally posted by Nick Read on 29 December 2004

The York pair are a similar thing (but better runs overall) - 14.059 @101.62 is the better pass, but the other one has my best ever terminal speed 103.51mph after 14.28 seconds, which is roughly 0-100 in low 13s Id say. Pretty damn quick in anyones book.

dont mean to be rude but your saying it took you a second to get an extra 3.5 mph? unless u changed? surely it would have been quicker to stay in what you were in rather than change....

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Your starts seem to be very good @ the Pod Nick, surprised you didnt run quicker...was it the infamous Pod headwind or did you tweak the car before York?

BMW 320d Sport

Docter Fox, not rude at all mate...its a good question, about something that a lot of people misunderstand. We all know as drivers that when youre doign 40 and put your foot down, youre quickly up to 60. And when youre doing a ton on the motorway and you put your foot down, things dont happen so fast!

Its a question of aerodynamics mainly. At high speeds, the power that was adequate for 0-60 sprints and hooning about town is just not enough. Just look at something like a WIlliams which according to the published figures does 0-60 in 7.6 but 0-100 is over 20 seconds! If the rate of acceleration were to continue in a linear fashion, youd have a ton up in 12.2 seconds. So the reality is that the rate of acceleration roughly halves between 60-100 as it does from 0-60.

This is roughly the case with almost all cars. Those that do 0-60 in 4s tend to run 0-100 in 9 to 11 seconds. Mine does 0-60 in the 5s and 0-100 in the 12 to 13 bracket Id say. When youre doing a hundred already an extra 2 or 3 mph really can take a couple of seconds, even in a high powered car.

Martin -that day at the Pod was something like 30 degrees C and the strip was well sticky. Thus I couldnt really go wrong at the start, just dial in 5500 revs and dump the clutch. Only problem was that it was that sticky that I could actually feel the tarmacs pull once up to speed. The car itselfs been running a bit weird all this year, various problems with engine mounts, manifold joints, boost was turned down for some time awaiting a remap, heat management issues etc, that needed sorting out. They are all done now, but during 2004 I was mostly running at 200- 215bhp while sorting out all these different things.

Oh and before I forget, YES that Metro was for real. You can find it at the Strawberry Fields pub in Southend. I reckon whoever owns it must work there. And it had those stripes BEFORE Evo showed that Cup with Gordini stripes on it a few months back.