ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Faulty speedo, help please!

Clio 172 Phase 1
Hi all

I have a 2001 phase 1 clio sport 172 track car

The speedo has suddenly stopped working. Does anyone for sure where the sensor is? And what part I actually need?

After searching the net, some say the abs ring some say the gearbox!

Thanks
Graeme

15MAS

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 & 911 turbo
My understanding is ph1 is the gearbox, standing at the front of car, down the left hand side of the coolant bottle look down and you will see the sensor to the right of the manifold, it has a metal clip on heat shield, wire coming from the top, should be easy to spot. Swapped mine tonight. Got one for 8.99 from eBay. Have you tested the speedo itself by holding the trip computer button down whilst turning the ignition on, send the dials into a test mode.

15MAS

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 & 911 turbo
Well I fitted a new sensor last night. Went for a test run for ten miles and it worked perfectly having previously only occasionally worked. Today it stopped working again, but is working the majority of time. When I removed the old sensor there was oil deposits on the tip, is this normal? I will have another look tonight, can't imagine it was a poor connection as it seemed it was a straight forward plug in job.

172 Cup
My speedo stopped working when my old gearbox was on its way out, i just changed the box and works perfectly now. That was a 172cup btw