ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Federal RSR 595 tyres falling to pieces

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Annoyingly I forgot to get a picture of mine, but all 4 of the ones from our clio have started to seperate after only around 2K of use, they still have loads of tread left, but there is a broken line appearing on all 4 running across the tread.

But a quick google found plenty of other people having the same issue:

federal2.jpg

The outer layer of tread is splitting in two with a big crack running across the tyres, looks like someone has hacked across the tread roughly with a knife, on all 4 tyres.

Mine if anything are slightly worse than the one in that picture.

Anyone else on here had it?

Such a shame as they are great tyres other than these reliability issues (there is another well documented problem with the shoulders falling apart and the tread peeling away from the edge)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've seen this on Kumho V70's before, but only at high-temps on a heavy M3 in track use.

What are they on?

My girlfriends daily driver clio.

They done a few trackdays at the ring, only one of which as dry and where they didnt get particular hot (we only drive there at 8 tenths really) and a few sessions at spa where they got used fairly hard but we werent actually out on track a massive amount, I wouldnt even call it a full trackday really in terms of the normal amount of use our tyres get.

I have certainly worked 888/A048/MPSC all MUCH harder than that and for a lot longer on the same car with NO problems.

All 4 have done the same thing. Its clearly a tyre fault.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
All 4 have done the same thing. Its clearly a tyre fault.

For sure it's a tyre fault, we attributed the Kumho failure to the extreme weight/load.

Doesn't sound like they should be falling apart from your usage, perhaps upgrade to something else - the Toyo/Yoko are a different league. Although if it's a DD I wouldn't be putting 888s (or similar) on until the spring.

Quick google too: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32973437&postcount=20

Seems you're not alone !

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
For sure it's a tyre fault, we attributed the Kumho failure to the extreme weight/load.

Doesn't sound like they should be falling apart from your usage

Indeed, normally the wear on 888/A048/MPSC is without any failures, just slowly wear out.

perhaps upgrade to something else
Cant find a better all round tyre yet, 888 are nowhere near as good in the wet for example.
Rainsport fall apart in literally 20 mins or so of my driving in the dry.
etc

The Toyo/Yoko are a different league.

They are better in the dry, although we tend to use MPSC for dry which are better again.

Although if it's a DD I wouldn't be putting 888s (or similar) on until the spring.

She runs different wheels on it for daily use anyway normally, we use these just for damp trackdays normally, but as they are so good for allround use we used them on our ring/spa trip so we could leave the same tyres on wet or dry and be quite good at either rather than taking specific wets or dries like we do on most UK days.

Indeed, shame they are unreliable, as they are great tyres, quite unique in the extent to which they are all rounders.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Someone on MX5 forum tried some of the "cheaper" 595's available online and laptimes were down by over a second.. swapped to a set of UK purchased ones from a know retailer and found the time again.. same wear on both sets..

I'm still thinking that maybe there is a dodgy batch about maybe?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Someone on MX5 forum tried some of the "cheaper" 595's available online and laptimes were down by over a second.. swapped to a set of UK purchased ones from a know retailer and found the time again.. same wear on both sets..

I'm still thinking that maybe there is a dodgy batch about maybe?

I forget who I got these from now, but it was one of the major uk based retailers and not some random off ebay.

They work great, I dont believe there could be another version of the same tyre a second faster than these TBH, certainly if there is I want to buy some, lol

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Seeing all these reports online about it stopped me from getting a set for my car :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Seeing all these reports online about it stopped me from getting a set for my car :(

On performance as an allrounder I would recomend them to anyone, but based on the fact they might fall apart, it makes me less likely to do so.

That said, a small crack like they have isnt going to make the slightly bit of difference to how they drive, it just depends if it stops at that or just keeps on opening up more and more over time.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Can you just not return to Federal? I did with Michelin and got a new tyre in return (after 3 months of waiting\tests etc).

TBH im not sure I could be arsed with trying to work out who I got them off (I buy quite a lot of tyres) and asking for a duplicate receipt (I never bother to keep them) just to send them all off to federal for them to no doubt say it was down to them being used on track and hence not covered which I am pretty sure is going to be their response, at which point im out of pocket for removing them, posting them and dont have them anymore to use etc.
Plus out of curiosity Im probably going to carry on using them as im intrigued to see if they get worse or not, if they just have this crack and then stop its not a problem really as its only in the tread, not in the structure of the tyre, and in which case I will probably still use them again, as I do REALLY like their blend of dry/wet performance

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
On performance as an allrounder I would recomend them to anyone, but based on the fact they might fall apart, it makes me less likely to do so.

That said, a small crack like they have isnt going to make the slightly bit of difference to how they drive, it just depends if it stops at that or just keeps on opening up more and more over time.

If I drive my car it gets driven hard and on long motorway journeys so the cracks put me off big time. Haven't heard of anyone getting a blowout yet but it be constantly nagging at the back of my head :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If I drive my car it gets driven hard and on long motorway journeys so the cracks put me off big time. Haven't heard of anyone getting a blowout yet but it be constantly nagging at the back of my head :(

I dont believe there is an significant risk of an immediate failure like that, as I said its only in the tread itself, its not right down into the construction of the tyre.
Obviously anyone who has the same issue though needs to make their own mind up as I am not any sort of expert on the subject and am not telling others what to do, but I personally am going to continue to use them and just keep a close eye on them.

Thats a real shame! Mine were fine, did a few thousand on them, track day and a ring trip. I hope they sort the issue as its probably the best tyre I have ever run, I looked at getting them for the 350z but they dont do them in the correct size, unless i loose width.

Always liked these tyres federal make, i just think they look awesome ha. Never known anyone to run them though.
480_480_fz201.jpg

Trafic 140dci
I'd heard alot of rumours of this, but not actually known anyone who it had happened too, was gonna buy a set of these when my A048's wear out as my budget doesn't allow for A048's anymore lol.

Looks like it will be R1R's for me as i'd rather not take the chance of this happening.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ive submitted a "contact us" form on the federal site, pissing in the wind im sure, but figured for the sake of 2 mins it was worth telling them what has happened, will let you know if I ever hear a response!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
We have only had 1 complaint at work about RSR's and it was down the the owners fault in what happened, sent them back to Federal for them to inspect/run tests/whatever else they do.

I know over in Australia there are a lot of complaints but their RSR's are different to the UK RSR's.

I'd heard alot of rumours of this, but not actually known anyone who it had happened too, was gonna buy a set of these when my A048's wear out as my budget doesn't allow for A048's anymore lol.

Looks like it will be R1R's for me as i'd rather not take the chance of this happening.

Ask Rhys, he would notice if his had fallen apart.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
We have only had 1 complaint at work about RSR's and it was down the the owners fault in what happened, sent them back to Federal for them to inspect/run tests/whatever else they do.

I know over in Australia there are a lot of complaints but their RSR's are different to the UK RSR's.
What did Federal do/say?

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Wow that's weird! There is an increasing number of user in the NL but i've never heard of anything like this (yet).

If you continue using them i don't think it'll be pleasant with this in the back of your head...
never know when they're going to fail and how.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Don't worry about it the crack will wear away as not deep.

The max5 boys use these & have never had a failure.

clio 200 F4Rt
my Federal FZ-201 track tyre has a 'split' in it like that. upon closer inspection its not that deep, so i have continied to use it.

It survived 10 laps of the ring recently.

Will be interesting to see what Federal come back with.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Thats a real shame! Mine were fine, did a few thousand on them, track day and a ring trip. I hope they sort the issue as its probably the best tyre I have ever run, I looked at getting them for the 350z but they dont do them in the correct size, unless i loose width.

Always liked these tyres federal make, i just think they look awesome ha. Never known anyone to run them though.
480_480_fz201.jpg

In the dry awesome, wet forget it ;)

The RSR is used by the FWD boys in time attack & they recommend them, for the money nothing comes close.

Cracks wear down, http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=103108&#entry1230744

Last edited:
603216_456574201060790_1373988802_n.jpg

The edge literally fell off round anglesey. I thought it had been catching on the bodywork, but after swapping tyres side to side the other did not have any wear or anything similar at all. Never had a tyre go like that over the past 5 years on track... has to be a failure in the compound IMO

Fiat Coupe
A friend runs these on his Coupe, and also had the cracking problem. His tyres are current back at Federal being inspected, hasn't been an update yet but will post here when there's some news...

I can imagine useless in the wet.

And foxy that is shocking!

That went from a completely normal evenly worn tyre to that in about 12 laps. Thought it was a geo issue but the rest of the tyre is immaculate and evenly worn. Swapped the fronts left to right and ran all day without issue or anything similar. I was going to contact Federal about it but I never bothered and its time I don't have at the moment. Will probably use a different tyre next time

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
had heard about this... didn't realise it was just a line in the tyres like that

I have this happening for YEARS on loads of different sets of 888's on all different cars. I thought I was going over something at Bedford like a grate or track join or curb when the tyres were hot and that it was cutting into them!

carried on using them... never had any problems

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Porkie, they also have been reported to have problems on the shoulders of the tyres coming apart, like foxy on here had.

Going to just keep using them, as they are the best all round tyre I have ever found, and just see how I get on!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Once this line appears do they actually fall apart?

It would appear not from further searching online I have done and others I have spoken to, its only if they start going on the shoulders that they actually come to pieces.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Had no issues with mine Chip, I have done LLandow twice, Donington 4 times and Cadwell all on the same set.

Have you inspected then recently?
Until I took the wheels off the car to get these tyres moved to a different set of rims, I would have said the same as you mate. Was blisfully unaware.

Will get some pics of mine at the weekend to show you.

Homo spec mazda
My back two have a small split in them as described by chip but I always put that down to the previous owner spinning it on a trackday, god knows but from what I've read they are still safe.

Clio 172
Have you inspected then recently?
Until I took the wheels off the car to get these tyres moved to a different set of rims, I would have said the same as you mate. Was blisfully unaware.

Will get some pics of mine at the weekend to show you.

Mine will most probably be coming off this weekend as I have an MOT due next week and they won't pass with the tread on them.

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
Ive done 2000 miles on mine and havent noticed anything suspicious. Will have a closer look next time Im home. But as for using them, I'm with Chip. Until a better all rounder appears, I'm going to keep using them under a watchful eye.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
My Federals are fine. They have been on the car since August and show no signs of cracking or splitting. I've had problems with Toyo T1-R's cracking more than once. They didnt wear particularly well either last time I had them on the car.
I had to replace the front tyres for last MOT which were R1-R Toyo but wasn't able to buy any more as they weren't available at the time so compromised with the Federals. I'll keep an eye on them now after seeing the thread.