ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Few problems after recent upgrade

F82 M4
Alright folks,

So I'm having a few problems since my recent upgrade. I've spent the past full day trying to resolve them to no avail. I may re-format and start again.

I've gone for the following -

Intel i7 4790k
Asus Maximus VII
Corsair Pro Vengeance 2400mhz
Asus Phoebus Sound card

from

Intel i7 2700k
Asus P8Z68 V Pro
Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
Soundblaster Z Sound card

Firstly, the 4790k is HOT. I know they are supposed to be quite hot, but on Prime95 I'm getting just under 96c... It's hooked onto a H100i, and all is mounted properly and thermal paste is used correctly. Looking at the web apparently there's been a bad batch of 4790k's? But then again a lot of other people say to ignore Prime95 because Haswell hates it.

Next, my desktop has gone choppy since the upgrade. I use a 144hz monitor and it feels like 60hz sometimes, when I drag windows around it can be really juddery. I use Dual link DVI, and have SLI 680's. I never had a choppy desktop before because I used to play around with my desktop all the time and love how smooth it was. Now that's gone it's really strange and I really can't put my finger on it. Although when I first enabled SLI my PC blue screened. When it rebooted and I enabled it again it worked...

Finally, my PC time is wrong. Always. The BIOS time is incorrect, and it's a brand new motherboard so I know it's not the battery. Every time I log into Windows I have to re-set the internet time. I never had to do this before, it worked all the time!

I think that's it. I really appreciate any help with it guys :)

CursedTitanium 182FF
For the time issue, try swapping batteries from the old board. You never know the battery might be duff.

F82 M4
Apparently it's a common issue with these motherboards with no known permanent fix. Sigh. Guess I'll have to RMA it :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Lol - I literally wipe the dust off my monitor and feel the need to reformat! No way would I replace an entire mobo/CPU/memory trio and not reformat. :)

Though as you say, it could well be a mobo specific issue?

D.

F82 M4
Lol - I literally wipe the dust off my monitor and feel the need to reformat! No way would I replace an entire mobo/CPU/memory trio and not reformat. :)

Though as you say, it could well be a mobo specific issue?

D.

I did reformat mate. In the original post I ment reformat again! :cool:

I've sorted a few things out now. The 4790k apparently really doesn't like Prime95, and that's why it's hot and therefore shouldn't really be used. It maxs out on games at around 65c and that'll do me nicely.

The choppy desktop has also been cured. It was completely down to a Windows 8.1 update called "Update 1" lol :) Basically, explorer.exe ran at 63hz and the update fixes it.

It's only the mobo problem now but appears to be most people with this board. There's a massive thread over on the ROG forums about it :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Good to see it's sorted!

I must admit, I'm a bit reluctant to try out a decent monitor. I'm used to my 27" Iiyama running at 59hz - but I know for sure that in seeing the output from a decent refresh rate would instantly mean a bashing of the credit card! :)

BTW - is it worth messing about with the ROG stuff? I've had it from my Rampage III Extreme, but never really bothered with it.

D.

F82 M4
Good to see it's sorted!

I must admit, I'm a bit reluctant to try out a decent monitor. I'm used to my 27" Iiyama running at 59hz - but I know for sure that in seeing the output from a decent refresh rate would instantly mean a bashing of the credit card! :)

BTW - is it worth messing about with the ROG stuff? I've had it from my Rampage III Extreme, but never really bothered with it.

D.

I'd never go back to a 60hz monitor since having 120+ mate :) The difference is night and day!

Going to be buying the Rog Swift when the 900 series GTX's come out. Hopefully very soon.

As for the ROG features I can't say I've used them often either. I have the Asus ROG front panel though, it's excellent as a fan controller :)