ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Few questions about new clio 197

Renault clio 197
I've had my car for 2 weeks now and wanted to ask the following ......

gearbox ,, I have to allow car to warm up before it allows me to engage gear ! Is this normal on the clio !? I have six months warrenty so I'd rather get it sorted sooner than later if needed.

exhuast ,, I get a crackle sound on high revs when changing gears ! It sounds ok when driving normal and does not sound like it's blowing :-/

juddering ,, in mornings or when car is cold it kangaroos in 1st and 2nd which I'm sure is not my driving lol do I need a service or some thing as it's a pain in the **** !

Sorry bout out all the questions but never owned a renault so want to know its all ok or needs sorting out :)

thanks peeps

S4 Avant
All of that is normal, but the car shouldn't be doing it.

gearbox is alarming, get that checked out ASAP, kangarooing from cold is normal, but I'm fairly sure Renault released a patch to cure that.

exhaust, that could be anything. Vaguer than a vague thing.

Renault Clio 1.2 TCe
Just get it back to the garage and tell them everything you've described. They'll check the exhaust (hopefully) and the kangarooing like dave said im sure Renault released an ECU update to solve that ball ache. The gearbox though is very worrying. Make sure they fix that because that's definitely not normal.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
What years the 197? Later ones should've had the patch done before they were sold.

I found mine just didn't like the first two minutes of starting. It ran rough, notchy box and kangaroo'd but once the fluids were warm it drove great.

Renault Clio 1.2 TCe
Forgot!!!! Ive seen a couple run crap from cold and it turned out to be the washer jets on the bonnet dont have seal so they let rain water drip through, onto number one spark plug and cause it to corrode. Take a look!

Renault clio 197
Thanks guys , I'll call them up today and let you know the out come. As for the patch to prevent it kangerooing on cold start up is this a free patch due to renaults fault ?! S_fell_89 I have looked and to be fair it's spotless under the bonnet but shall look again later !

Renault clio 197
Ok , called warrenty people who was a bit unhelpful but basically said book it in and report back with the fault. So it's booked in next Monday but will need to stay there over night to see the problem in the morning when cold :)

Renault Clio 1.2 TCe
Yeah they don't look like much is going on but best way to check is to check the plugs, or to make sure they're not leaking to prevent a future problem, get a mate to sprinkle water using a watering can or something and you hold bonnet open just a little bit and watch to see if it drips after up to around 30 secs.

As for the freebie from Renault, I honestly don't know. As far as I know they reprogramme the ECU and takes about 30 mins to an hour. Have to ring Renault and see what they say. Worst case scenario is they say no. Life goes on.

Suzuki Jimny
Stick a few tanks of shell nitro+ through it and see if there's a difference. Bet there will be.

Renault clio 197
Cheers Matt I give that a go , I read about turning t/c off until it warms up and must admit it does help a little !