ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Few small problems (Speedo, overheating, gearbox)

Jap Box
Got a few small bits to fix shortly, hopefully their all cheap but looking the one up it seems to be the water pump.

1. The speedo dies randomly, revs, temp, fuel etc all work fine but the speed needle just drops to 0mph. Could this be a speed sensor or some sort?

2. When stationary pushing the gearbox into 1st, 3rd or 5th you can rock the entire gearbox it seems. Am I right in thinking gearbox/engine mounts are shot? Nothing happens when going into reverse, 4th or 5th. Havent tried rocking it when moving incase it causes some massive problem.

3. This has only happened once so it might just be a one off.

After doing 10miles I noticed the temperature needle had gone straight from the middle level to the red, which caused the STOP and tempterature light to pop up on the dash. The headgasket isnt gone as this has been checked, which is why im thinking it could possibly be the water pump thats going? To sort it I just put the heaters on full at hot so it cooled down to the right temperature again, it hasnt happened since.

Thanks for any help

1 - Quite possibly the Speedo Sensor yes :)

2 - Check the Dog Bone mount (The twisted bar, bottom - center of the car) might be worn through (and check all the other mounts)

3 - Are you loosing water? Is the water tank full? Is the thermostat stuck shut possibly? So when it's up to temperature its not opening to allow for cooling?

Nick

Jap Box
1 - Quite possibly the Speedo Sensor yes :)

2 - Check the Dog Bone mount (The twisted bar, bottom - center of the car) might be worn through (and check all the other mounts)

3 - Are you loosing water? Is the water tank full? Is the thermostat stuck shut possibly? So when it's up to temperature its not opening to allow for cooling?

Nick

Would putting it on the clip show up if the speedo sensor was faulty?

Ah thanks for that one, their pretty cheap too AFAIK :)

No idea if it is yet, might well be as upon bringing it home I filled the coolant up again as it was below the minimum but before then id forgot to check it. Where can I find the thermostat to see if its working properly?

Thanks

HBT 172 Cup
Will be the speedo sensor, mine was exactly the same, used to just go up and down as it pleased. Bought some cheapie one from ebay for £15 and it works perfectly.

I would keep check on your water if it is going down its your water pump leaking probably (behind the drivers wheel on the engine on the right. As for the thermostat the only real way is to locate it (mine was on the right hand side of the block under the throttle body) has a pipe in and out. Unbolt it and take the unit out the housing and bolt the housing back on that way the thermostat is constantly open of it stops over heating there's your problem if it continues I would look elsewhere (radiator for leaks and water pump)

I've had 2 water pumps go in 3 years so it's a common thing it seems as they have plastic impellers on them and wear and break easily

Hope it helps

Nick

Jap Box
I would keep check on your water if it is going down its your water pump leaking probably (behind the drivers wheel on the engine on the right. As for the thermostat the only real way is to locate it (mine was on the right hand side of the block under the throttle body) has a pipe in and out. Unbolt it and take the unit out the housing and bolt the housing back on that way the thermostat is constantly open of it stops over heating there's your problem if it continues I would look elsewhere (radiator for leaks and water pump)

I've had 2 water pumps go in 3 years so it's a common thing it seems as they have plastic impellers on them and wear and break easily

Hope it helps

Nick

Yep will keep an eye on the water level, if it happens again then I will simply take it to the garage down the road and get him to have a look over it to try find the source :)

Jap Box
Yeh especially if your not too confident on diagnosing things

Well done a 20 miles trip today and temperature was spot on, water level hadnt changed and there was no signs of water under the car :)

Bad point is, the immobiliser has started playing up :( guy told me about this when I bought it, said it sometimes arms itself and to fix it you simply lock the car when inside, unlock it then open and close the door and it starts first time. Been fine for days with no problem but today it immobilised itself, didnt try his trick though and just turned the key again so all was fine, hopefully its not too bad a problem :)