ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FF182 quater mile times......what's yours....HONESTLY!

None
Just wondering if it's realistically possible to get much better than the 15.9 i got last monday at york, no stripped out racers though guys, i'm only intersted in almost standard full fat 182's and 172's cheers

Italian 3.2 V6
When my 172 was standard bar from alloys (budget tyres tho) I got 15.6@86mph (1st go at quaters aswell.)

PH1 172 Sport
Get it out on track. It's not a drag car IMO.

Agreed.

I've never got drag racing myself and why anyone would do it in a clio is beyond me. Hit some good B-Roads and do a few track days and the Clio will make more sense than it ever has.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Mines never been driven hard in 1st, no chance would i even attempt to do this.

182 Cup
Lol! It's a car, a cheap car at that. I know it puts wear on the car, but in my opinion it's a better way of finding out how much real world pace your car has, much better than sticking your car on a rolling road to get a guestimated power figure you can boast about down the local.

My 182 cup in factory standard trim got a 15.077 at Santa Pod, and that should only be 20kg lighter than a full fat, so there or there abouts should be achievable.

PH1 172 Sport
I sometimes drive mine hard in first but very rarely as I usually just short shift into second and use the torque of the engine to accelerate through the gear.

None
Drag racing will not break your car, it's no worse than setting off from a roundabout onto a dual carriageway and flooring it to get up to speed, if something does break then it was going to happen out on the roads anyway eventually!, probably much less likely to break something on a dragstrip than on a trackday.

182 Cup
probably much less likely to break something on a dragstrip than on a trackday.

Sorry mate, don't think I can agree with that! Hard standing starts put the most strain on clutch, gearbox and tyres. I do both though and not broken anything. Yet.

Golf GTD Mk7
Drag racing will not break your car, it's no worse than setting off from a roundabout onto a dual carriageway and flooring it to get up to speed, if something does break then it was going to happen out on the roads anyway eventually!, probably much less likely to break something on a dragstrip than on a trackday.

You obviously over estimate the quality of clutch and gearbox on the clios mate. Slipping the clutch on fast starts will not do it much good.

EDIT: sorry Inferno, just noticed you've said the same:eek:

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
End of the day stop being pussys, they are made to be driven, if it breaks...fix it. Clios are better round tracks but there is nothing wrong with going down the strip as well is there!!

Anyway, when my car went down Pod the other year I got 15.5, standard everything apart from a cat-back system and panel filter.

182/ 172 Cup
End of the day stop being pussys, they are made to be driven, if it breaks...fix it. Clios are better round tracks but there is nothing wrong with going down the strip as well is there!!

Anyway, when my car went down Pod the other year I got 15.5, standard everything apart from a cat-back system and panel filter.

+1

White Evo V
My 172 when it was running 162.9bhp (just decat and filter fitted, probably losing power through the filter) managed a 15.01 at york. Will be interesting to see what it does now!

Lionel Richie
15.9? were you in reverse? 1.2 16V clio's do 18.0's if they're quick ones!

a "fast" RS should be 14.5-14.9

Stagecoach Ticket
My 1.2 16v can do 19's doubt you will get a 18 fred lol but RS's are very random down the strip
mid 15s is the bench mark really? 16 ish for the slower ones 14s for slight mods ?

Dodgy one
15.7s my best at York inbetween snow with just over a second reaction time lol, On ditchfinders completly standard last year in April.

Hoping to go middle of month on the pug vs VW and do the RWYB then to see what it runs now after a few small mods and good tyres, Guess it'l easy break into 14s witha good start

I ran times between 15.7 and 16.2 throughout the day FF 182

None
Another thing i forgot to mention was that i didn't burn out either as i didn't want to ruin my tyre's and as a result i got quite a lot of wheelspin off the line so i probably lost anything up to half a second there. I'm happy with the 15.9 as a starting place, bearing in mind i wasn't prepared to kill my clio breaking any records as i did go to have fun in the first place.......and that jet car doing the quarter in 7 seconds was amazing :)

53 Clio's & counting
Its like every sort of activity you do it your car - it's down to the driver if anything breaks!

Iv done many track days and 1/4 sprints over the past 10 years, drag racing does put more stress on the drive train, but track days put alot of pressure on other conponents too, iv never ever broken anything on the drag strip, because i dont let the 'red mist' get in my way and i concentrate on launching properly

Iv not taken the 172 down yet, my standard 160k 1.8 16v Clio ran 16.03 and my old mk1 hybrid ran 14.0

Lionel Richie
My 1.2 16v can do 19's doubt you will get a 18 fred lol but RS's are very random down the strip
mid 15s is the bench mark really? 16 ish for the slower ones 14s for slight mods ?

i know of 2 x 1.2 16V's that have both done 18.0's down york, mine was one of them, the other was BamBam's

Nippy white cup
As above..they vary soo much...std 172 of Kevs with just rears out got a 14.6..Scotts with exhaust/decat filter etc struggled to get into the 14's.

Chris

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
I would be suprised to see a standard clio 1*2 to get under 15s tbh a good 172 cup might just break into the 14s low 14's and the clio would have to be pulling nearly 100 mph if not more surely???

Nippy white cup
Yeah they aren't common but defo know of 2 172s and a Cup getting 14.7/6's. Mine with minor mods got 14.17 at 97.5 and more recently 14.2 @ 98.5

Chris

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Minor mods Chris LOL, behave! Your car is stripped, 182 manifold, decat, remap and air filter!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
If stromba was still here he would be laughing at you all with his williams....lol

Nippy white cup
lol my 14.17 was with just the rear seats out, a cone fliter with no cold airfeed and exhaust/decat and rsport chip and about 1000miles on the clock.....the more recent time was with a 6700ish limiter hence the the time was similar but the terminal speed was a fair bit more

Chris

TVR Cerbera
it's all down to the launch. I've had a 15.6 from a valver, 14.7 from my standard cup and 13.6 is my fastest in the cup's current spec. Tbh it'll go faster, but i have trouble launching it! Lol.
High 14's is doable with a good launch in a standard 1*2
Nowt wrong with drag racing, track days are awesome too, i do both as they are so different from each other and they are safe enviroments to have fun.

Last edited:
  R26

Agreed.

Discounted 1*2 parts
best i could get at the pod was 15.64 and was with 40 degrees track temperature so would hope for a slightly lower time with cooler air