ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fiesta ST Mountune MP215 acceleration

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Tell me why they are better then. *awaits all the race car drivers replies*

They're not driving boots at all. They're a day to day 'trainer' that's designed and built with driving in mind...rounded heel, reinforced edge to the right shoe, soles that while robust still allow you to feel everything.

Just LOL at the reaction to them.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Correct, over boost f**king rules!

mark - is 3rd gear also the best in the fezza? 3rd in the focus is rather special

Third's nice but I'm finding fourth's enough to lose traction at the moment. I'm getting the chance to play with and feel the eTVC working around empty damp roundabouts at the moment. Learned a lot so far. Can't wait until it dries out and gets warmer.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
They're not driving boots at all. They're a day to day 'trainer' that's designed and built with driving in mind...rounded heel, reinforced edge to the right shoe, soles that while robust still allow you to feel everything.

Just LOL at the reaction to them.

Haha I was just on the wind up mate. Never driven a track in my life so I've not got a clue about any of that. Just trolling

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh, I didn't know about the overboost thing at all :eek: Yeah it's a good way to make the insurance less.

Not sure how they calculated it though!

Simply what it would give if it gave a lower boost figure at full throttle.

I've been trying to capture it dropping the boost back down...but it's not easy to hold any gear on the road for the 15 seconds full boost it gives.

Lol at the arguing over book figures. Only Renault over quote by about 30bhp. Everyone else knows how to build engines.

The 1M is quoted at 335 but they tend to push 360+

Absolutely no doubt the ST is pushing 200+

Simply what it would give if it gave a lower boost figure at full throttle.

I've been trying to capture it dropping the boost back down...but it's not easy to hold any gear on the road for the 15 seconds full boost it gives.

Ah right! I want to go out in one at some point!

Lol at the arguing over book figures. Only Renault over quote by about 30bhp. Everyone else knows how to build engines.

Wouldn't really class it as arguing Munson, but whatever floats your boat.

Poopensharten

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
At standard power (even though turbo charged cars tend to over read) it would have around the same bhp/ton as a 172 Cup.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

might want to check the current meggy outputs ;)

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Does it feel quicker than your old 172? It certainly doesn't look any quicker but it's obviously difficult to compare.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Before Mountune, it felt a quicker than both my 172 Cup and 200...but in reality was probably only just quicker than 200 and just behind or on a par with the Cup.

Now, it feels a LOT quicker, and I'd say is ahead of the Cup no question.

Around Goodwood I was 1.5 seconds quicker in the Cup, at its fastest/lightest and with sticky rubber, than I was, first time out, in the standard ST.

Confidence and learning the car will have given me a chunk of that time back, and Mountune will have more than covered the remainder.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I understand the overboost gives the car extra power for 15-20 seconds (not sure how long it actually is) but does anyone know how long you need to be off the throttle before you can use the overboost again?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Doesn't look very impressive but videos never do them any justice unless they are brutal quick.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I understand the overboost gives the car extra power for 15-20 seconds (not sure how long it actually is) but does anyone know how long you need to be off the throttle before you can use the overboost again?

As far as I'm aware, the instant you lift from full throttle the full overboost is available again. So a momentary lift would restore it.

As said though, I'm struggling to find anywhere that allows you to hold any gear for 15 seconds. In the lower gears you're on the limiter well before it would run out...and in the higher gears you'd need a couple of miles of clear road and immunity from prosecution to be able to get the overboost to cancel.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
So at full throttle in any gear it will over boost for 15 sec then after that drop down to what ever boost PSI/BAR and make 185 BHP and not the 200 odd ?

Is this correct ?

Alan

Over boost seems a bit of a ploy. A trick to massage emissions and insurance targets? To my mind, it just means that maximum boost is limited...when you're not using it. In other words the car is more powerful than the official figures.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Agreed Roy, how would the overboost ever go off? You would more than change gear in 15 seconds! It's constant BHP in every gear in reality.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Absolutely, marketing at it's best making it appeal less 'hot'.

What confuses me is why the insurers don't see it and rate it as a 180PS warm hatch. Over on STOC the 17 year olds are queuing up to take delivery...they appear to be quite insurable at that age.

It has pace on a par with any/every RS hot-hatch over the last few years...but I don't recall ever seeing an influx of 17 year olds with brand new RS cars as they just weren't insurable.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
From Evo test...

device.
EVO

NEWS
CAR REVIEWS
DATA
VIDEOS
FEATURES
CARS FOR SALE
BUYING GUIDES
TRACKDAYS
COMMUNITY
WIN
5 ISSUES FOR £5
SHOP
ROAD STORIES

Search Car Reviews

REGISTER LOGIN
Free Newsletter
Car Reviews:
Car Group Tests
Ford Fiesta ST v Peugeot 208 GTI v Nissan Juke Nismo v Mini Cooper S JCW v Renault Clio 200 Turbo: on track
How the cars feel on the road often doesn't translate to how good they are on track. Here's what we found out after a day at Bedford
Follow @evomagazine
Text: Henry Catchpole / Photos: Dean Smith
August 2013
Ford Fiesta ST on track

We put all five cars to the sword around the Bedford Autodrome’s West Circuit and four of them were remarkably close on time. However, slowest by over 5sec with a lap of 1:38.7 was the Juke Nismo, which struggled to do any two things at once. This meant that turning and braking, and turning and accelerating, were strictly off the menu, unless you wanted to tie the Nissan in agonising knots. In fact, I can’t remember driving any car with less traction on the exits of corners, and that includes any over-endowed AMG you might care to mention.

Next up, the Peugeot, Clio and Mini all came within 0.3sec of each other. It’s such a negligible margin that I’ll happily admit that they could have swapped places with a smidgen of driver error or inspiration anywhere in their laps, but extracting a fast lap was quite a different proposition in each one. The Clio (1:33.6) had the best chassis balance and brakes, but also felt the heaviest and had the least steering feel. And frustratingly, through a couple of the tighter corners second gear felt too low and third gear felt too high.

Meanwhile, the kart-like Mini (1:33.3) felt the fastest of all the cars with its pointy demeanour, but it couldn’t make the most of its punchy engine until the front wheels were pointing dead straight, being left scrabbling for traction until it was well clear of the corners. It was a lot of fun though.

The Peugeot (1:33.5) definitely felt the softest of the group on track, but it had a better front end than expected and surprisingly found decent drive out of the corners, even on the occasions when the front wheels were over-rotating.

And then came the Fiesta. Quickest by 0.4sec with a time of 1:32.9, it also felt the most fun and the most fluid. It made the best use of the power that it has, finding remarkable traction out of the corners, while also having beautiful feel and balance on the way in. You could trail-brake or just carry speed, and the Ford’s front end seemed willing to turn in, while the stiff rear end was enjoyably mobile. It also had the best-judged ESP system here, allowing plenty of slip in Sport mode.

It's not slow.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
ive passed overboost on the focus, its just like hitting the soft limiter

wont mention how quick i was going

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
no doubt soon the insurance companies will clock on to the overboost as most cars seem to be using them and getting more extreme as time goes on!

my twingo has it but only an extra 5bhp and 5lbft (0.2 bar of boost) over 4500rpm in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear for 45 seconds, id rather have it between 2500 and 3500rpm where its actually useful though im very rarely over 4000rpm even when im pushing on!

RWD isn't the be all and end all, despite what the heroes claim. It's quite often a real pain the ass for traction. In the wet I think I'd prefer FWD. At least then you can play with the available traction with rather less risk of smashing backwards into a tree at 12g

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Yes not as safe and more skill and planning driving RWD .

Alan

RWD isn't the be all and end all, despite what the heroes claim. It's quite often a real pain the ass for traction. In the wet I think I'd prefer FWD. At least then you can play with the available traction with rather less risk of smashing backwards into a tree at 12g

Yes not as safe and more skill and planning driving RWD .

Alan

Yeah for sure but I was more thinking in terms of pure traction, which I presume was what Mark meant in the context of speedo vids. This time of year especially, five degrees of lock can very quickly become fifty, and you're looking down the road through the side window. It's not the last word in launches. You need 4WD if that's your thing. Just saying.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Agree with the whole fwd v RWD. Much easier to control a fwd, corners can be taken with much more confidence in the wet. I had an e46 m3 with excellent tyres and even then it was twitchy. Great fun, but twitchy.

awesome launch from the m135. That auto gearbox is a peach