ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fiesta vs Clio

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Mk5 Fiesta Zetec has got probably the best steering of any FWD car I've ever driven. If my Clio had steering like that, I'd be like a dog with 2 appendages.

That's not saying the Cup has bad steering. Far from it, it's really, really good. But there's something missing that I can't put my finger on.

Megane R26
Mk5 Fiesta Zetec has got probably the best steering of any FWD car I've ever driven. If my Clio had steering like that, I'd be like a dog with 2 appendages.

That's not saying the Cup has bad steering. Far from it, it's really, really good. But there's something missing that I can't put my finger on.

Totally agree. Awesome gearbox too.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
You do realise plastic wings are a saftey feature?

Sometimes if you front end/side swipe a car, the wings can be pushed into the doors, preventing them to open. Plastic wings will shatter, so will not foul the doors...

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
I only had the 1.25, but it was so nimble, it allowed me to go a lot quicker than I thought possible.

Very broken 172 cup
well done realnumber 1, god star for working it out as i couldnt be arsed.

so there you have it,

in track form the clio is faster.

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.

Sometimes if you front end/side swipe a car, the wings can be pushed into the doors, preventing them to open. Plastic wings will shatter, so will not foul the doors...

Plastic wings = mega.

My Missus reversed into my car a few months back and if it weren't for plastic wings, I'd have a bill for a bent wing and she'd have a sore head!

;)

Very broken 172 cup

go back through the post bud, im talking build quility,not saftey.

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
go back through the post bud, im talking build quility,not saftey.

Compared to Old Skool hot hatches, the Clio is made from granite. Build quality is actually really good, it's just typical anti-French nonsense that makes people think they're crap.

Drive a 205 GTi if you want crap build quality.

Very broken 172 cup
Compared to Old Skool hot hatches, the Clio is made from granite. Build quality is actually really good, it's just typical anti-French nonsense that makes people think they're crap.

Drive a 205 GTi if you want crap build quality.

we aint compairing to old skool hatches though.

Very broken 172 cup
tbf,ford really have been a bit behined the times with their recent 'hot' cars. other manufacturs are miles ahead in my opinion.

the focus st and rs uses a volvo lump!!! come on ford.kiss and make up with cosworth!!

Very broken 172 cup
g reg?? i thought we are talkin about z's and st ranges??
could be my bad as i aint bothered reading through most of the tripe.only the constructive critisms

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
tbf,ford really have been a bit behined the times with their recent 'hot' cars. other manufacturs are miles ahead in my opinion.

the focus st and rs uses a volvo lump!!! come on ford.kiss and make up with cosworth!!

You mean the Cosworth engine that is based on the old Pinto lump from the Cortina and was phased out in 1996 because it couldn't pass the emissions regulations back then?

Nowt wrong with Volvo 5 pots, at least they sound half decent.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
g reg?? i thought we are talkin about z's and st ranges??
could be my bad as i aint bothered reading through most of the tripe.only the constructive critisms

Just pointing out that the design of the Zetec S's that were produced around the year 2000 is an incarnation of the original Mk3 Fiesta that came out around G reg time.

LY 200
Haha...iv not read 4 of the 5 pages as the first was enough but did we even get what the Clio actuallly was as i could tell form first watch it was a 1.6 16v at best!

If were talking modified ST150 aganist a 182 reality is if the 150 is driven hard up to the 90 on the straights and on the corners and the Clio is driven averagely it can keep more within sight than most Clio owners would admit BUT it still doesnt get near enough to claim being bang on in terms of performance - i know this as a mate (whos not shy about driving to the very limits) has had two now and the outcome was a very similar scenrio in my current as to what it was against my minty Williams hybrid!

Was a 197
have u ever seen fiesta St/Zetec S's in hot hatch comparisons, i dont remember any of any note, 1 reason for that is cuz they aint worth it.

Oh and the plastic panels are made of plastic for several reasons, 1. if u bump it, it wont dent/crease, 2. crash safety purposes, 3. lighter, and so on and on

Drive a 182 and a woteva model of fiesta is its comparison, you will know the difference, give the 182 some too, throw it about, give it sum right foot cuz that wot it likes.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Ah, but you stated a Zetec S wouldn't beat a 172/182, no matter what engine it had.

I think it would safe to assume that an RS engined Zetec S would mince a 172/182 off the line, 1/4 mile, etc.

;)
I meant taking everything into consideration it would always beat it as an all rounder, i.e no matter what engine the zetec S had in it, I would still choose a 1*2 over it.

I meant taking everything into consideration it would always beat it as an all rounder, i.e no matter what engine the zetec S had in it, I would still choose a 1*2 over it.

Same here! Even though I enjoyed driving all 3 zetec-s's I've owned, the clio puts a bigger grin on my face when driving spiritedly :)

TBH if you're basing what car your going to buy next on stupid youtube videos with stupid chavs racing in industrial estates you're going to be changing cars a lot......

Fiesta Zetec S
Haha wow my video has started quite the argument :rasp:

The clio was to my knowledge a 182, according to my mate with a clio, I think he's on here actaully. It was white with black wheels, roof, bonnet, boot etc.

Standard engine wise according to the lad driving it. Does anyone know of it? Maybe confirm what clio it is?

My ZS is fully stripped etc. I'm sure in a proper drag race (all things even) the clio would probably win. You can see he doesn't get off the line quickly. The video wasn't posted as a CHECK MY CLIO DESTROYYAAA.

Friendly bunch aren't ya :cool:

LY 200

The clio was to my knowledge a 182, according to my mate with a clio, I think he's on here actaully. It was white with black wheels, roof, bonnet, boot etc.

Standard engine wise according to the lad driving it. Does anyone know of it? Maybe confirm what clio it is?

My ZS is fully stripped etc. I'm sure in a proper drag race (all things even) the clio would probably win. You can see he doesn't get off the line quickly. The video wasn't posted as a CHECK MY CLIO DESTROYYAAA.

Haha and Nigel Mansell appears - wind up much? :cool:

It had a black roof, bonnet and boot also? No white RS's were made anyway - check the renaultsport site under 'heritage' for evidence!

I really cant see how anyone remotely interested in cars would be oblivious to the fact the other car wasnt actually a 182.

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
clio wing panel gaps are so big i dont need to open my bonnet to work on my broken clio

build quality is exactly what it is,quality

how many mercs,bmws etc etc are made with plastic panels?

Erm new beemers are made with plastic wings... x5/x6 for a quick start.

Again have a think before you speak.

Fiesta ST-3

I dont mean to be funny but my 1.6 16v Megane Coupe with straight through exhaust, and filter minced a Zetec S on more than 1 occasion. And im putting a 172 lump in the car not to make it slower ;) No comparison.

Fiesta ST-3
Oh s**t i just realised that ZS was running a carrot on the stick. If you pause the video you can just make it out.

Tav

Clio 197
There's no reason one of these Fiesta's couldn't beat a Clio if it had enough power and a low enough kerb weight. 800kg 1.3 G40 Polo's would have the edge on a Clio 182 with about 130-40bhp...so the same logic would apply to any car. (whooping CTR) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DXCbvNlX5o

As for handling...well on the road it's not really possible to drive at the limit so this evens out the difference. On track there is no reason the Fiesta couldn't be better/faster. It's not really worth wasting breath on some chav's racing in an industrial estate.