ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fifth Gear May 9th Clio vs CTR

Ford Fiesta

bout time that was on, was suppose to be last series wasnt it?

and the winner between the CTR and 182 gets to enter a comp to win the car.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member

Tiffs fav hot hatch was he old CTR. He didnt like the 172 at all when he reviewed if i remember right

Ford Fiesta

Ant he seemed to rate it highly enough in the mk1 172 review?

someone must know the outcome surely, anyone??

no doubt it will be on their super smooth track and that will be it!

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

the race to end all debates...lol

one debate is already won tho, the clio is better looking and more stylish!

Yaris Hybrid

I have driven both and really I can only seperate them on price.

It is amazing though how hard it is to find an unbiased review of a car. It seems as though everyone approaches a test drive with an agenda and a preconceived attitude that good or bad will not change when they drive it.

If they want to like it they will like it. If they want to hate it they will hate.

An example was Clarksons 182 review. He said that at 30mph in 5th gear it was too noisy.

Now a few months back I took out my friend who owns an MR2. He has a grudge because the 182 is quicker than his car. After I took him out in the car he said he didnt like it because it was too refined and this made it boring. He said it was too quiet and he couldnt even hear the engine (despite taking it to 7k) and this ruined the experience for him.

Renault must be asking what the hell they are supposed to do.

I suspect that the CTR will be a faction of a second quicker. Anymore than that this and I think most unbiased spectators will smell a rat. The question Tiff wont ask (he never asked it with the VX v Elise) is whether a tenth of a second is worth paying a few grand for...

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

By chance I test drove an 02 CTR on Saturday.

Was alright, and tbh didnt seem any quicker/slower than the 172.

Steering felt pap, way way too light, but then my last 2 cars have had amazingly nice weighted steering, the old 19 was the best Ive felt yet.

Ok in 5 years tim eit might have less squeaks and rattles, but I paid £5700 for my mk1 172 with all the toys, this Civic was u pfor 12k without aircon.

Not worth it imho, and still not decided on the breadvan looks even when the other half wants me to get one :)

Clio 182 / Lotus Elise S1

Quote: Originally posted by Davehughes on 05 May 2005
what channel is fifth gear on

Channel 5

cock mobile.

It depends what they judge it ok.

The 182 is certainly cheaper, and just as fun.

I think the gear box on the CTR is the only other factor, does feel much better than my 172, would love to see Renault do a similar short ratio 6 speed box in the new RS.

Yaris Hybrid

No the badge/most fashionable always wins.

Last week was a weird one. Far more expensive and impractical Noble v a cheaper everyday Evo. What the feck was that ever going to prove other than giving the presenters an opportunity to rant and rave about something that most people couldnt afford???

Before some muppet says it, yes I know the Evo is expensive too but you can have it as your only car where as the Noble is a second car for most people.

Quote: Originally posted by Sport182 on 05 May 2005

Class cant wait to see the 182 trounce that bread van. Lol I hope im not eating my words!!
you may well be and the bread to put those words in could be delivered in the Civic :p

Clio 200 Cup packed

having painfully watched fifth gear numerous times, i wunt be suprised if the CTR won because "it has a spare wheel" or "its a better family car"

numptys

ClioSport 182

Could some kind person post a link to where I might be able to download this once it has been aired.

Unfortunately, I cant get channel 5 in Spain :(

KnightAzul

with that noble / evo test id have thought itd have been easier for the evo to win but i have reservations on vbh ability to drive. keep the evo in the turbo zone and surely youll be walking away.

Yaris Hybrid

Ok the most important thing tho....does anyone know the result?!?!?!

Someone must have a mate that works for C5?!?!

Black Gold 182

A good mate of mine works for the Seat touring car team - I have asked him to ask Plato if he knows anything about this review so hopefully will be able to find out what was said!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Bit silly to compare the two!

Civics in the wrong class, so the clio does well.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

I always thought the clio should be in the supermini bracket myself,but i guess they are both hatches

ian

DC5

Its on at 20:30 on channel 5, Monday 9th May. Already got Autoview set up on Sky. Not gona miss this

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by ian 182 on 08 May 2005
I always thought the clio should be in the supermini bracket myself,but i guess they are both hatchesian

True, but everyone lumps the clio in with mid size hatches as it would just spank most super minis out there, only other car that really is in the same class as the clio and has some shove is the Cooper S. Othewise what else have you got, 106? C2? Honda Jazz lol?

Ford Fiesta

They are similar cars. All this about different class of cars etc, true to some extent. But at the end of the day if you in the market for a hot hatch you would consider both.

Real short review on 5th gear wasnt it. Seriously think Tiff made a mistake "trying" to get the 182 to oversteer on the last bend like he did with the CTR.

Nothing in the times then...

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by Liam182 on 09 May 2005
They are similar cars. All this about different class of cars etc, true to some extent. But at the end of the day if you in the market for a hot hatch you would consider both.

Yeah you would, cant argue with that. But physically they are differnt classes, Civic a mid size hatch (a la Megane, Astra) Clio is smaller, so when people say "ahh but the clio is a small car, not as much room inside" I just think wtf are they expecing from a small hatch.

Clio Cup

Dont know about fifth gears competance in reviewing. They pitted an evo tuned for reliability against a car that wouldnt make it through one track day. An ecu mod would have made it an even match.

When i test drove the type-r it didnt feel as nimble or as chuckleable or as planted at high speed as my old 172, so i choose the 182 over the type-r.

Golf GTI Ed30

Bloody Motoring programmes. Unfortunatley I sneezed and missed the test, it was that bloody short.

Nice result for the CTR though. (Flame jacket now on). Still miss mine from time to time, must admit..:(

Golf GTI Ed30

Definatly not boycotting it mate. Was on about it to my mate last night funnily enough. Need to give the old barge a run I reckon, see what its capable of. Whens the next one mate?

Gawd, i hate these debates.

I bought my clio over a CTR for two reasons.

A) I thought the 182 was better value.

B) The Clio is nicer looking.

But guess what, the above are opinions. This means that not everyone agrees with me .. lol .

I couldnt care less if the CTR is 10 seconds faster around a track, im happy with my purchase, and im pretty sure the CTR owners are aswell.