ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Filemaker database do i charge for it??

Rusty Cup
My current employer uses excel spreadsheets for stock system and customer database so ive made a neat filemaker system that i will be implementing when ive tied up a few loose ends.

The question is do i charge them for it or... its the first database ive made... my friend has sold a few databases says its 1500 squid all day long

Not sure what to do really :S

Suzuki Ignis
Did they ask you to do it?

How long you been there and how well do you know them? What kinda and how big is the business?

Why would you want ot charge your own employer? I am sure you spent time developing it on their systems using skills you'd learn whilst under their employment.

If I were your manager and you tried to sell me something like that I'd be looking to offload you ASAP. No loyalty.

Last edited:
  Rav4
If you have developed it at work, during your work commitments then defo not.

If you have developed it outside work to ensure you become more efficient, improving your daily routine then still a no.

Rusty Cup
Did they ask you to do it?

How long you been there and how well do you know them? What kinda and how big is the business?

The company im working for got me in as someone that understands the technical side of a the business which in their eyes was checking emails.

Gave my boss a quick glimpse of the system yesterday and he was instantly blown away by what i'd showed him.

At the moment if someone phones up asking about their order we have to take a number find the invoice by hand which could be nearly anywhere and phone them back :S no backup of any kind!!

Ive only worked for the company for 2 months and there are only 6 members of staff.

Rusty Cup
Why would you want ot charge your own employer? I am sure you spent time developing it on their systems using skills you'd learn whilst under their employment.

If I were your manager and you tried to sell me something like that I'd be looking to offload you ASAP. No loyalty.

Lol the only thing ive learn here so far is how to assemble a wardrobe.

I was the store manager at an apple reseller and if one of my staff had come to me with a way of improving how the company was run i would have made it worth his while not fired him!!!

Lol the only thing ive learn here so far is how to assemble a wardrobe.

I was the store manager at an apple reseller and if one of my staff had come to me with a way of improving how the company was run i would have made it worth his while not fired him!!!
Didn't say I would fire you. Just wouldn't do you any favours as it doesn't appear to me you have any loyalty to the company and making a quick buck is your goal. If you ever move on to a bigger comapny you'll learn that its projects like the one you have undertaken that will move you up the ranks and get you recognition. Saying they can use it only if they pay you will just be laughed at.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Just give it to them. They'll respect you for it and it'll most probably benefit you in future, if only to make you a bit more indispensible.

Rusty Cup
Just give it to them. They'll respect you for it and it'll most probably benefit you in future, if only to make you a bit more indispensible.

Yea is true, i dont plan on staying in this line of work for to long im going to start my own business in the not to distant future :)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
So you want them to pay you for something you did whilst they are paying you to be there? ;)

Sadly it doesn't really work like that, plus any employment contract worth anything states anything you create on company time belongs to them, or words to that effect.

This is the sort of thing pay rises/appraisels are for, to reward you for doing things like this that could be deemed over and above your normal job.

Bus w**ker
Ask your manager if they have any sort of recognition scheme in place. If you're improving a business process, saving them money/time and improving customer service then you could make something out of it, but I'd not try to "sell" it to them; especially not with it being such a small business because they will just tell you to f**k off. I would.

I know of someone that was awarded £30,000 years ago for an application they developed for my employer, currently one of the largest in Europe, I've been put forward for the same thing but due to the current climate I don't expect any financial reward, although it would be nice.

TBH though I can't see that something that sounds like a basic Access database is worth £150, let alone £1500.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I wrote a docking window system which behaved (visually and logically) exactly the same as the whidbey docking windows, I did this in my own time and it was a considerable amount of work (It was straight windows API, no C++ or frameworks).

To this day I've not seen or come across a library which does docking windows like that in plain old windows API.

I gave it to my employers for free. I was renumerated with time off. We facelifted a huge application with it.

Clio 172mk2
End of day if you made it, then there more likely to keep you employed should it need any additional work in the future

Rusty Cup
IIRC you used work equipment (i.e. their computers) and did it in work time, then the company owns it.

Been working on my mac not work computer :rasp:

Any who most of you are slightly miss interpreting my question and assuming im doing this to gain financially, im gaging wether people would ask for money for this kind of service. im personally doing this because the current system is a joke and i have the ability to change that so i am doing so.

My system is amazing and ive really enjoyed developing it and showing it off at work, the people at work are really pleased that ive created a system that will simplify their work.

:approve:

Rusty Cup
give it to your employers, sell it to the competition :)

There are 3 other stores that trade under the same name and use the same website but are for all intents and purposes are separate businesses.

I like this idea :) might do some research into how they operate.