ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Filling in the licence plate area

Hey Guys

I recently bought a clio rear bumper, where the licence plate is situated in the bumber. However i currently have mine situated in the boot lid, so i want to fill in that area on the boot lid and smooth it off....dont wanna look like a t**t driving around with 2 licence plate cut outs:rasp:

Anyone know how i would go about filling that area in the boot lid with body filler?

Any help would be appreciated....thanks:cool:

Petrol Blue 182.
ive just filled in my numberplate recess on my front bumper to give it that smoothed euro look :), i fiber glassed it in rubbing it down then filling it with polyfiller and rubbing that down untill it was completly smoothed over, gives a good look once its colour coded to ;)

Clio
leave it to a pro mate..cos i dont think you will prep it perfectly and when you come to paint it, it will look poo!

Punto/Clio GTT
got a pic of the tailgate? id probably suggest welding a plate in.

you can build it up with a load of fibreglass but itll just crack, sink eventually and look shite

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Did you get a Clio Campus bumper?
Why not try and source a boot lid - no number plate recess...

Chocolate Bar™
ive just filled in my numberplate recess on my front bumper to give it that smoothed euro look :), i fiber glassed it in rubbing it down then filling it with polyfiller and rubbing that down untill it was completly smoothed over, gives a good look once its colour coded to ;)

i bet you £50 it'll crack out once you've driven it for a bit.

i bet you £50 it'll crack out once you've driven it for a bit.

Thanks guys:D thats what i was afraid of, it cracking when i get on the road:dapprove: The meal plate sounds like a good idea, thanks for that, think itll be the safes bet:approve:

VX220 Turbo
do not just fill it with filler it'll last for about a week then drop out.

the best way is to weld in a plate but unless it's done to a very high standard it'll never look perfect.

easiest thing to do is to get a clio campus rear boot lid then smooth out the bit that sticks out with the renault logo on.

Petrol Blue 182.
ent cracked yet :) and its plastic so you cant weld in plate, other way is the clio campus tail gate

Punto/Clio GTT
course you can weld in a plate, just cut out a piece of plastic to size and melt it to your bumper, id probably bond it down aswell with sikaflex, then fill to that.

a huge lump of fibreglass/filler combo is never good, especially on a bumper which is vibrated like hell when on the road

lets say i were to weld a plate onto the boot lid....couldnt i just weld it in a few millimetres and then fill the remaining area with body filler or fiberglass to get it 100% smooth looking?:approve:

ibiza cupra
lets say i were to weld a plate onto the boot lid....couldnt i just weld it in a few millimetres and then fill the remaining area with body filler or fiberglass to get it 100% smooth looking?:approve:

yeah that is what you would do but you would havto spread your filler feather than the plate you had welded in so you could feather the edges of the filler into the reast of the tailgate to make it as smooth as possible. dont expect to get it compleatly smooth first time nether, it may take a few skims af filler before the shape is right.

oh and if you mix the filler and fibreglass together for your first skim it makes it easer to apply to the panel and easer to sand down like filler but you still get the strength and bulky build up of fibre glass.