ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Film Thread.

2.2 bar shed.
Just restarted shooting medium format film. No point shooting less imo as its just not worth the pain over shooting digital. I've gone 6x7 which gives me a slightly rectangular image that blows up nicely to 8x10 prints. Shooting black and white and developing at home. Not done any proper scanning yet but with little effort I can get a 50 megapixel image out of the negatives. With a drum scan 120 megapixels or so is possible. Bit of a pain but its a different style of photography which is often alot more relaxing than shooting a DSLR.

Anyway, few pictures. Will be updating this reasonably regularly as I progress.

AWlBCh.jpg

NFVPrh.jpg

y6IMJ.jpg

EU0Bih.jpg

4WQuJ.jpg

6lnpJ.jpg

M49NJ.jpg

Forgive me, they're not the best. Really need to brush up on my street. The lack of noise/grain on the Delta 3200 shots is mad. Need to scan them properly, atm they're just pictures of the film shot through a softbox and quickly run through some free software.

Last edited:
  Cupra
Fair play for giving it a go! I'm not sure I could be arsed going back to film due to cost, time and hassle. Loved the smell in the darkroom though.

What camera are you using?

2.2 bar shed.
Mamiya RB67. Back support is needed tbh. It's certainly not as convenient as a DSLR...

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Cool Shots, and as Tom said well done for giving it ago! I have always wanted to give a go but never had the time or money. A close friend of mine shoots skate boarding with bronica etc and gets some simply amazing shots.

2.2 bar shed.
Got a proper scanner now. Well, a reasonable one. Proper ones cost £2k+... Not developed any colour film yet as its extortionate and im just gonna get the kit to do it at home rather than pay a lab £8 a roll (you only get 10 photos per roll at 6x7). I'll scan some stuff tomorrow and do an update some time, but the detail you can screw out of the negatives is mind blowing. This isnt a great shot but the dynamic range is massive, and the details is insane. This was only scanned at 800dpi, out of a possible 9600. 9600dpi images come out 1.2gb's big, so they're a bit silly for my needs. Anyway...

HGbCa.jpg

Shot with a 90 F3.8 on Ilford Delta 100.

6xXHD.jpg

Shot on a 90 F3.8 on Ilford Delta 3200.

Gonna go shoot some Provia 400X at ISO1600 tomorrow at night for a bit of a laugh along with some Delta 3200 at 12800 or something silly. I'll post up some more stuff as I scan more.

2.2 bar shed.
377298_10152125743970405_577940201_n.jpg

Really need to wet scan them so the dust doesnt show up. Cba to spend an hour + cloning all of the dust out as its a complete pain.

Some nice examples of street photography, having used film extensively myself though I can't see any reason why digital wouldn't at least equal if not better these images. I suppose I'm saying nice pics but no why the need for film, bar quirkiness?

2.2 bar shed.
Some nice examples of street photography, having used film extensively myself though I can't see any reason why digital wouldn't at least equal if not better these images. I suppose I'm saying nice pics but no why the need for film, bar quirkiness?

Sold off all my digital gear to pay rent for when I was jobless in London. Slowly gonna start collecting stuff starting with a new 5D around Christmas :/

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Great shots Sam.

I really like film but it just got so expensive to get developed (I didn't have the space to set it up at home)

Some from my very first camera, a Canon eos 30, taken with a Sigma 70-210 or Tamron 19-35 around 2001/2.

pop.jpg

macba.jpg

still_bar_by_tin_tin.jpg

over_the_rail.jpg

Might even take it out with me again soon.

2.2 bar shed.
If you're shooting black and white all you need is a small generic developing tank? It's so so so easy to do at home.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I couldn't imagine a better way to shoot street stuff. You're getting some fantastic results mate.

Been spoiled nowadays by 'free shots' that digital offers, how many keepers do you tend to get when shooting film mate?

2.2 bar shed.
10 shots per roll, probably 4 keepers and 1 I like? Not great odds tbh but I dont mind. If I went out and shot on digital I'd shoot 300/400 and I'd still have the same amount of photos I liked.

Have only shot film with a Lomo a couple of times, nothing spectacular! The store in Carnaby street does events where you sometimes get to take a camera out for a couple of quid.

21100008copy.jpg

21100009copy.jpg

21100006copy.jpg

18370011copy.jpg

This is exactly what I want to be doing Sam, hence the thread I started.

Excellent photos. What sort of cost/time is involved in developing at home?

2.2 bar shed.
You forgot to flip the images ;)

I do it every f**king time, I need to write it into my export script :(

This is exactly what I want to be doing Sam, hence the thread I started.

Excellent photos. What sort of cost/time is involved in developing at home?

Depends if you want to shoot colour or black and white? Black and white is childs play, mix out some chemicals shove them in a tank and come back in 30 minutes. Colour however is a totally different bag, the E6 stuff I've been doing has to be kept at 38c else you end up with funky colour casts and under exposed images. Then its agitation every 15 seconds and takes about 35 minutes of sitting there to do it.

It's certainly nowhere near as easy, but its not difficult if you can follow instructions? Colour negative is much easier than slide film though, and can be done almost as simply as black and white.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
I loved doing the developing at college. Had to get it right otherwise it just sucked. Wouldn't mind doing it again.

That doesn't sound too bad. I'd only be developing b&w images if I were to do it at home.

I'm completely new to "film" cameras and developing images, so know really very little about how to even use older cameras!

2.2 bar shed.
It's not hard. If you've got a spare couple of hours it can be quite enjoyable. It's not however when you've got 20 rolls to do :(

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Love these Sam. Without sounding proper bent, film really brings out the emotion in photos.

Would like to give it a go at some point!

I know next to nothing about photography. Unfortunately.

But there's something really cool about blatently really modern stuff photographed with a film camera.