ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finally decided...

Black-Gold 182
OK, decided which Clio I'm getting... The Trophy!!!

At the end of the day I'm spending alot of money on a car I might as well get the best!! :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
unless your going to track it, and i mean seriously track it, then a 172 ff will be enough. The price hike for a trophy just for everyday use is not justified imo.

S-Max
172 cup all day long. Similar price to FF 172 but with a better driving experience. Not worth the extra for the Trophy unless you are taking on a track as mentioned above.

VaVa
I'd say FF all day long - Similar driving experience to the Cup but with all the luxuries. Horses for courses! :D :approve:

And you just know, deep down, that you neeeed xenon headlamps. lol :eek:

And outside of the tarnished world that is CS the Trophy will be seen by the majority as a Clio with a garish red paint job.

If you want instantly recogniseable exclusivity get a Williams 1.

Define "best" I'd say the 172 Full fat was one of the best realy.

Trophy would be bottom of my list of prefered models.
Cue all trophy owners and a thread on cliotrophy.co.uk :cry:

Yep so so true. Each to there own preference though. Then again noone listens anyway to me.

Not worth the extra for the Trophy unless you are taking on a track as mentioned above.

Even on track I'd not pick the trophy if you did that much track work get a Cup racer.

RS Clio 200
I've just gone from 172 Cup to a Trophy. If you can justify the extra cost of the Trophy over the Cup I'd say go for it - but obviously it's a big price difference.

In a straight line the difference feels minimal. Around corners the Trophy feels more solid.

Ignoring anything else - the inside of the Trophy feels more "special" (a bit like my old Gti6) probably due to the seats.

On top of that I'm hoping that being a limited edition will give better resale when I come to sell it.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
You could say this about a large volume of cars, it was the same when the williams came out - although admitadley it also had more power and better suspension but that age old debate of whether its worth an extra couple of k will always be asked.

I think somewhat it comes down to your own desires, i was always a fan of the williams and wanted one for years - so for me at the time it was worth the 'extra' it was one of those iconic cars i always wanted to say i owned.

If your keen on the trophy and want a ltd run to be a bit more special then go for it, if you are a little more blase i would go for a 17/82 FF/Cup dependant on what options you wanted and budget constaints. The only advice i would give is if the intention is to buy a car to track then it HAS to be the 172 cup for value for money - cant beat it.

Mk4 .:R32
10k plus is a lot to spend on a clio. I know they are limited edition, but I would only get one as a weekend car as I wouldn't wanna put loads of miles on it, which would cause it to lose value. Best value for money would be 172 FF. Could easily get an 03/53 minter for around 6k and then spend 2k making it better, and you still save yourself about 2 grand

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
If I were to buy another Clio, it would be a Trophy. But I'm not, coz I have no need to. But if I was, then etc... ;)

clio 172
if your going for a trophy gareths(funky monkey) area rep is up for sale clean example and an hour down the road in bedfordshire

172 Cup
few more winters/wet days/noobs unable to drive and they'll be less 172 cups than trophys ;)

A red missile
OK, decided which Clio I'm getting... The Trophy!!!

At the end of the day I'm spending alot of money on a car I might as well get the best!! :)

Good choice :)

Car preferences are a uniquely personal thing, who cares what anybody else thinks, if you can justify the cost - go for it i've had mine for 2 years now and im still loving it. Every time you slide into those gorgeous recaros it'll make you smile, oh and every time you have to make an emergency stop you can mash the brake pedal like you've found a cockroach sat on it safe in the knowledge that it wont slide into a wall or fling you into a ditch.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
"THE BEST" is in the eye of the beholder. but i think 172 FF

Slowest ;) Also xenons are well overrated. My cup had much better optics. The xenon lamp clutsers the clio uses are poor. The beam pattern is poor, sooooo much scatter.

Trophy is nice, there is no doubt. I had the money for one, but i dont like the 'limp' pink colour. I opted for a 182 with both cup packs, then lowered it on H&R coilovers. I also have the Recaro seats.