ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finally, One of my own

VW ID.3
Yes, finally I have purchased a Clio Sport I've had it about a month sitting on my drive just getting in better shape before I put it on the road and now it's on the road I can write up a Project Thread because I've enjoyed reading some great build threads on here.

I've got no photos from when I got it because I forgot but the bodywork has a few dents and a load of stone chips and the paint needs a machine polish once I've sorted the chips.

First of I replaced the Dephaser pulley because it was noisy (thanks to Tom at West's for sorting the pulley) and fitted a new timing belt kit and auxiliary belt, while the car was on axle stand I got down to cleaning the wheels swell.

Some befores of the wheels

DSC00390.jpg

DSC00391.jpg

DSC00392.jpg

DSC00393.jpg

DSC00394.jpg

Got to work on them with some AS Smart wheels and a swissvax wheel brush and they looked like this then

DSC00395.jpg

DSC00396.jpg

Still not perfect with all the tar and left over wheel weight adhesive, so some AS Tardis was required

Tardis at work
DSC00397.jpg

After the tar was dissolved by the Tardis all that was left was the weight adhesive which took ages to remove but looks so good once removed.
Now all that was left to do was apply some wheel sealant or wax, in the past I've used Poorboy's Wheel Sealant and FK 1000P both which are really good but the end of last year I ordered some GTechniq C5 Wheel Armour that is so easy to apply and remove and the protection and beading it provides is the best I've seen.

DSC00398.jpg

DSC00399.jpg

DSC00400.jpg

DSC00401.jpg

DSC00402.jpg

And now for some beading shots

DSC00403.jpg

DSC00404.jpg

I only took photos of this wheel but the process and result was the same for the other, I even did the spare too while I was at it.
The wheels do need a refurb but that can wait until summer.

With the wheels done I did give the car a wash and a layer of Swissvax BOS wax just to protect the paintwork and 3 layers of GTechniq G3 on the glass (which is another great product from GTechniq) but no photos of this as I've still got to do the stone chips and thought that photos of the whole car can wait until they are sorted.

After winning an auction for some phase 2 rear lights on EBay they arrived and were in great condition, a quick polish with Meguiars PlastRX and a couple of layers of Chemical Guy's Jet Seal 109 I decided to fit them one night after work.

A few befores
DSC00406.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

And with the help of the guide on here it was a lot easier than expected

DSC00409.jpg

and a photo to compare the difference between the two
DSC00408.jpg

even fitted Silvervisions to the new light
DSC00410.jpg

and all that was left to do was to do the other side
DSC00411.jpg

Now I know that not everybody likes phase 2 lights on a phase 1 but I think they do brighten up the rear of the car.

Now it's time to sort the front lights they had started to fade around the top so some wet-sanding then a polish was on order, I did do these once but wasn't too happy with them cause I hadn't sanded all the oxidation out of them

As expected some befores
DSC00412.jpg

DSC00413.jpg

You can just see the haze around the top of the headlight in the photo, so a going over with 600, then 2000 and finally 3000 I was happy with then but they both looked like this

DSC00418.jpg

DSC00419.jpg

Time to polish them up so I broke out the UDM and Meguiars PlastRX and it started to shine again

DSC00420.jpg

DSC00421.jpg

DSC00426.jpg

It was looking a lot better and now time for another comparison photo

DSC00424.jpg

Looking a lot better now to do the other headlight

DSC00425.jpg

You can see in some of the photos all the stone chips but they are on the To Do list.

The Clio sat like this for a couple of weeks until I won a Clio phase 2 boot lid of EBay which was a bargain and was only a couple of streets from where I live, that was collected and all that was left to do was fit it,

As normal a before photo
DSC00428.jpg

Removed the interior boot trim and plugged and extracted the wiring loom unbolted the boot lid and now I'm left with a rather large hole at the back of the clio

DSC00429.jpg

DSC00430.jpg

And just like that the new boot lid was fitted along with the loom

DSC00431.jpg

I also know that some people might now like the look of a phase 2 boot lid on a phase 1 clio but it was a bargain and it's now got a nice shiny Renault diamond on it, and I took the clio badge off to clean it but it has started to pit in a few places so I'm in 2 mind whether to refit it or buy a new one.

Thats how it's sitting at the moment I have fitted a Sony HU with a Steering wheel control adaptor but no photos of that yet and I have a few parts to fit this weekend.

Well if you have made it this far,

well done and thanks I will keep this up to date as I go.

sorry if theres any spelling mistakes and I hope the photos work.

Reece.

VW ID.3
Cheers guys, I've just gotta sort the stone chips then a good machine polish then I will get some photos of the whole car.

CLIO PH1 172
ohhhh i was talking with someone else on here about putting a ph2 boot lid on my ph1 looks so much better and no stupid holes !! nice work

VW ID.3
The Clio does look best in black I think, luckily ph2 black clios are the same colour as the ph1 sport so it didn't need painting.

I have got a few parts that I will fit this weekend and will get photos, also expecting another parcel from Cleanyourcar next week to sort the paint out.

Just need to decide whether to get some Eibach Sportline springs or not.

VW ID.3
I'm going to order some next week when I get paid, I've got some AST top mounts to fit as well, does anyone know how much they will drop the ride height?

VW ID.3
Thanks for the comments, the paintwork is looking 10 times better than when I brought it cause I gave it a quick machine polish with some Zaino Z-PC after I washed and clayed it a couple of weeks ago. I'm looking forward to getting the paintwork as close to 100% perfect as I can then applying multiple layers of Zaino Z-2pro, which is the same I did to my Megane that I used to have and that looked great after.

VW ID.3
UPDATE

Well a small update anyway, received a few parcels last week and I've been dying to get them fitted this weekend,

Cup spoiler time!

A before
DSC00434.jpg

This next photo was taken by my Iphone because my camera battery died, so unsure of quality
IMG_0148.jpg

No during photos cause I was just getting on with it and I kept getting dragged away by my Dad wanting help every 5 mins.

But now for the afters

DSC00435.jpg

DSC00436.jpg

The car looks so much better with the cup spoiler fitted, there are a few small bits that need sorting with the spoiler but they will get tidied up in the next few weeks.

Now for 4 very small changes

Before
DSC00438.jpg

After
DSC00439.jpg

I like them, they bring a little colour to the wheels and look great especially when the tyres are dressed

DSC00440.jpg

Anyway they were the only bits I got sorted this weekend, might get it washed tomorrow so keep an eye out for some more photos.

Reece.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Really really liking the detail you're going into with the ph1 mate, my next steps would be coilovers and a nice exhaust system

VW ID.3
Thanks guys, the suspension is next on the list but got to wait until I get paid next so it will be the next couple of weeks.
Might give it a wash today but it's a bit too windy to use snowfoam today :(

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You're doing this one hundred percent right.

Ph2 bootlid - Winner
Ph2 Lights - Winner
Cup spoiler - Winner
Silver wheels - Winner
Tidied up the headlights - Winner

Dust caps - Remove
Lower it

VW ID.3
Cup spoiler was of eBay, it came pearl black so I didn't need to paint it.

What's wrong with the dice valve caps?

Eibach springs are on order and will hopefully be fitting them at the weekend if I'm able to use a ramp at work.

VW ID.3
SMALL UPDATE

Did this a few weeks ago but only just got round to posting.

Got fed up of the inlet manifold looking crap so got some Halfords silver high temp paint and got cracking taking the inlet manifold off

before shot
DSC00476.jpg

Got the manifold off and was to eager to paint it so didn't get any pictures off the car before painted but heres one of it painted

DSC00478.jpg

and fitted back on

DSC00480.jpg

DSC00481.jpg

It looks really good but now the fuel rail guard looks crap, so i painted that too

DSC00482.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

Also decided to clean the engine cover and even applied a layer of Zaino AIO and refit it, (has been sitting in the boot since I changed the Dephaser Pulley and Timing Belt)

DSC00485.jpg

DSC00486.jpg

Well thats all I've done to it lately, the weather has stopped play whenever I've got spare time to work on it. But, I have got this week off work so expect a few updates soon.

To Do List.

Finish sorting the stone chips,
Change oil and filter,
Fit coilovers,
Fit De-cat,
Fit HID kit (once delivered)
Fit a new Idle control valve (again once delivered)
Also got a Phase2 sport steering wheel that I might fit but that depends if a few issues get sorted with it.

Anyway thats it for the time being, thanks for reading.

Reece

VW ID.3
Small Update,

Got chance to work on the car the other weekend, only got a few jobs done, got the HIDs fitted and gave the headlights a bit of a polish again to clear them up a bit more.

Standard Headlight Bulbs
DSC00491.jpg

DSC00492.jpg

After the bumper, radiator grill and the headlights removed I fitted all the kit for the HIDs then test fitted them and checked that everything was working ok before I refitted everything.
Passger side HID fitted, drivers side still standard
DSC00493.jpg

You can just tell the difference in the day between the two,
DSC00494.jpg

Then cracked on with the drives side, after everything was checked to be working ok I refitted the grill and bumper.

I have fitted the Weitec Coilovers but I can't go much lower than standard ride height or I won't be able to get out of the driveway, so I'm refitting the standard shocks but with Eibach springs.

Haven't been able to do anything else due to being signed off work to rest my wrist.

Thanks Reece