ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

first 10.000 km in my 197 - long read

Renaultsport Clio 197
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] so 2 days ago the "SERVICE DUE" warning light came on and the magical 10.000 km figured was on my trip computer.
so a little write up can do no harm.
The car was run-in not according to the books but not far off.I always let it warm up 2 minutes in the garage, then 5 or 6 minutes slow driving and then floor it. First 200 miles were under 4000 rpm, then I gradualy went all the way up to the rev limiter but not too often untill the 600 miles mark.
I ALWAYS drive it hard (the way it's meant to be driven)..had a few quarter mile races with some surprising results
1st surprise was a race with pug 106 gti (the clio had about 3000 miles on it) ...I started bad but caught up and won by maybe a car and hall.
2nd was a mk 3 golf gti 16v, and after 100 mph it started gaining on me and won by a bumper (the golf wasn't stock)
then last week a alfa gtv 2.0 v6 turbo. I got off the line quicker and was in the lead to about 110 mph and then the alfa went past like I was standing still (i know it's turbo but still)

anyway...the pros and cons
Handling - perfect
brakes - perfect
looks - perfect (a headturner and the girls love it for some reason)
noise - could be a little more deep but new exhaust will sort it out

as said a milion times, it lacks torque low down (bad in town) but it just makes driving more fun and not everyone is good behind the wheel of a high reving NA engine so it boosts my ego a bit LOL
icon_smile_wink.gif

cons - fuel consumption ( about 30 Euros worth of fuel EVERY week - and even more this last couple of days being holidays and all) but who cares - it's worth it
Then theres the awfull noise from the gearbox when I lift off the throttle (heard it was differential whining) but it can't be fixed so I ALMOST learned to live with it.
Yesterday it started snowing for the first time and a little ice came along so...I tried the car and - it is sh1t in those conditions. The tires aren't for that weather I know but still..and every touch of the brake send the car sliding a few metres.If it wasn't for the ESP I don;t know how I would start moving

Anyway...great car, my first proper hot hatch, well chuffed with it.After the holidays it's going to have a new exhaust and decat, ITG maxogen and a dastek unichip or some other remap and I'll think it'll be perfect after that.
It's going in for service in two days, I'm putting Motul 300V in it.
I just hope the engine will loosen up more with the miles cause I KNOW (deep down) that it will and it can go faster.
Cheers and happy new year !
[/FONT]

Last edited: