ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First effort at long shutter shots

Caterham 1400 Supersport
I bought a new Canon Powershot S3 IS last month, and thought i'd have an experiment this evening with long shutter settings, together with our pump cup and double ball tilt head mount. It was getting dark, I set it to a 1 second exposure, pressed the 10 second delay shutter and hopped in the car and drove!
It was a bit of a race to get in, drive to 10mph or so and then cut the engine before the photo was taken.

I need some practise, but got to start somewhere, please share any tips -

motion1.JPG

motion2.JPG

motion3.JPG

motion4.JPG

Cheers, Dave :)

I spotted that car in Trowbridge town centre a few weekends ago, looked fantastic.

Haven't got a great deal to add to be honest, 1 second looks perfect in that light and without some kind of remote shutter release I can't see how you can rectify the 10 second delay problem.

How about playing around in full darkness with longer exposures? The S3 can do 15 seconds if I remember correctly so that should be plenty long enough. Also roof mounted shots could look great with headlights on...and I've alwys wanted to try shots with the camera mounted facing forwards inbetween and just behind the front seats, Evo magazine have got some fantastic night pics from that angle before.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
looks cool dave...very nice shots...like the first one

would you be interested in the breakfast meet mate.....would be good to see you there

Caterham 1400 Supersport
Freebone said:
looks cool dave...very nice shots...like the first one

would you be interested in the breakfast meet mate.....would be good to see you there

I shall do my best.... :)

ukaskew - Was I driving at the time when you saw the car? I always make a point of waving at other RSs, although don't often get a wave back. :dapprove:
Thanks for the compliments, the car is looking better since I had it back from the bodyshop yesterday (for the third time!).

Thanks all for the comments and tips, i'm going to see if I can find a few minutes tonight to try some night time shots. :cool:

R

Rebecca

Never done this before but the photos look really good. I will have to have a practice with our camera.

FF Blackgold 182
Nice shots Dave. Especially the 1st one!:D U into photography then, or just having a dabble?

Caterham 1400 Supersport
Thanks again :)

I've never been into stills very much, this is the first decent camera i've owned tbh. I bought it specifically for this type of shot though, having seen some really good photos online.
As posted above, we sell and work with video equipment, almost always using bullet cameras in and on car.

I've just been out for half an hour and have taken a few more random shots, some have worked, some haven't....i'll post them up in a minute.

Cheers, Dave

Fishy Dave said:
I shall do my best.... :)

ukaskew - Was I driving at the time when you saw the car? I always make a point of waving at other RSs, although don't often get a wave back. :dapprove:

I was on foot so I didn't like to wave ;), but yes you were driving. I always wave at other RS' in the area, get funny looks usually though!

I'm thinking about getting one of those flexible tripod things (I want to call it a gorillapod, no idea why) for some interior movement shots, always fun experimenting with different things.

Caterham 1400 Supersport
Ah, that explains it (the not waving) LOL

Take a look on my site, let me know if I can help with the mount. :)

First attempt at night shots, so again, be as critical as you like, i'd like to learn.

night1.JPG

night2.JPG

night3.JPG

night4.JPG

night5.JPG

night6.JPG

night7.JPG

night8.JPG

night9.JPG

night10.JPG

night11.JPG

I like 5, 8 and 10 personally. Cheers :)

al

ST on the way...
Amazing pics fella!!! :D

Can get some really good results, might have to get our SLR slapped on the hague mount ;)

mini-PICT0486.jpg

Lovely night shots, really hard to fault them. So surreal and different from many pics I've seen. I like the first few of the road in particular.

Will take a look at your site for sure.

1.8 Civic EX
looks very cool mate...

how did you do the day ones? everytime i use the slow shutter speed on mine at daytime the pic just comes out blank/white ??!

I've done a few nights shots but no movement ones, just static...gonna have to persuade my bro to come out at take the pics while I drive by! haha