ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

first oil change on new motor

when is the best time to do a first oil and filter change on the new motor. I am on 2200 miles now and renault recommend a service at 12000 but i see a lot of posts recommending doing a change after 1000 or so. Why is this as renault say nowt about it.

111s

I assume most people get it changed that early to do away with the running in oil. Mine didnt go in till 12k though. At the end of the day youd hope renault know what theyre on about.:D

172, Tiguan

Change the Oil and filter after about 3000 miles if you want to look after the engine, as a lot of crap will be in the filter after the running in period. Though it isnt compulsary!

And Reno knowing what there doing....LMAO!

Focus ST3 + proper Mini

I had mine changed at 1500 miles. Cost me £50 but as said before theres alot of crap floating around. Up to you though at the end of the day.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

They dont use running in oil anymore, so no real need to drop the oil after the first 1000 miles like you used to do.

Mines on about 2500 miles now and I might just change it soon as there will be cr@p in there from the engine running in, but after that you can go to "normal" oil change intervals.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by garyross on 03 October 2003

plus i put in synthetic slick 50 after 500 miles.
Oh...

Well, thats gonna take ages for the engine to bed in properly now & loosen up!

It does protect your engine, but its that good that it can stop the engine from cutting in fully.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

New engines basically cut metal and bed in, which is why theyre tight and less powerful as new, then they gradually loosen up.

With Slick 50 its that good at lubricating & protecting the engine that it can prevent the engine bedding in properly, so youll have to cain it extra hard! ;)

mmmm interesting, who knows, will do an oil and filter change soon but i know the slick 50 will stay there. It cant be bad for your car or it wouldnt be on the market.

Other than that ill just have to thrash the f**k out of it from now on :devilish:, hee hee only joking

2012 WRX Waggon

i am sure slick 50 states on the bottle, not to use below 3000 miles, or something like that.

not that Id be stickin any o that $hite in my car!

just cause you think its sh*te doesnt mean it is, saw nothing on bottle stating 3000 miles but may be mistaken, f**kin hope so

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by visceral on 03 October 2003

i am sure slick 50 states on the bottle, not to use below 3000 miles, or something like that.
Thats what I thought, hence why I went searching...

just went to halfords and checked, says nothing about mileage but says you can put in at any time, looks like im safe, so no worries

Clio 1.6 16V

I have used Slick 50 engine and gearbox treatments on all my past cars without problems. On new cars (last five Clios) I have run the car in till about 3-3.5K before changing the engine oil/filter and adding Slick 50. On the original instructions it was NOT recommended to add this product during the manufacturers running in period. Also originally you had to add the engine treatment whilst the engine was idling .... no longer! You will generally notice most difference in the gearbox after treatment with a much improved shift.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by garyross on 03 October 2003

Never thought about the gearbox additive but may do.
Could be a good idea seeing as the gearboxes DO go on the Cup & 172

Volvo S60 T5

Change my oil and filter every 2500 miles using Renault oil and filter (Dont forget to change ya sump bung washer).

And I would recommend getting ya gearbox oil changed every 10000 miles as we all know Renault do not specify changing of this oil, trust me it needs to be changed.

;)

2012 WRX Waggon

Renault Oil - is that from the 10,000 gallon tank at the back of the dealership that goes in everything??;).

I would much rather do my own changes....just so I know exactly whats gone in.