ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First Race!!

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

I just finished doing my 625 mile run-in and not looking for a race (just getting back from my parents, delivered a birthday card from myself and David Coultard, she is a fan of his, his card got pride of place) when an old man in a BMW 330ci decides to hang on my bumper. We get to a set of traffic lights leading onto the A45 and on green he floors it, he beats me away from the lights as I am of two minds as to whether I want a race or not. He beats me onto the dual carridgeway but I manage to catch him up and over take him, just as I do that a CTR joins the fun and also takes the 530Ci and stays with me until I turn off. Pretty good fun a most excellent little car (172 not CTR thought it was a people carrier at first).

Plus I saw my first 172 since owning mine, a black one on the A43 heading towards Oxford at about 3.30pm.

A very good day all round. Off to London tomorrow to do some shopping with the girlfriend so any more race action will have to wait.

mk2 172

was it a 530 ci or 330 ci mate?, and did you say you overtook it?, cos us little reno cant overtake a floored 330 ci. good to see other people are gettin races though cos i get em all the time

craggy

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Hi Craggy

Yeh because before I overtook it I got a good look at its badge 530Ci, I believe the fastest he was prepared to go was about 80mph, but he did have the legs on me too that speed, wife probably told him to slow down.

Lots of potential races around here people own fast cars but get frustrated with all of the cameras. Went out for a ride on the A45 two nights ago I got overtaken by a Viper, Tuscan, XKR, few golfs, Astra GTE, a Chaternham style car racing a ninja bike, and about 21 performance bikes having little drag races. All just after a sign saying "Red road zone 74 casualties in the last year 40mph enforced". I did not join in due to not having the engin beded in and also not in the mood on a dangerous road.

On the way back from Donny (back in April) I raced a 530i. He booted it onto the motorway from a side road and I just let him in, thinking if youre going to drive like an idiot, then thats your business!

Anyway, he preceded to stick like glue to the bumper of a poor old Vectra in fairly heavy traffic. I just couldnt see why - and moreover, felt sorry for the Vectra dude. I had a weight disadvantage as I had a passenger at the time, but thought Id give it a try anyway.

So I hung back until I could see the Vectra was about to move out of the 530s way - then I booted it and went right up the arse of the 530i. Ive got to say that I think tailgaiting is terrible, but I was just paying this guy back (oh dear, "red mist").

To my utter amazement, I was actually accelerating faster than the 530i as we got up to the ton. I was well impressed!! I thought that that was where a car like that would have me. Anyway, he moved aside and I quite clearly got ahead.

Once I proved my point, I rejoined the inner lane and the slower traffic. But for some reason this guy (as he passed) "lunged" at me with his car from the other lane. He basically swerved at me and then away again. Some drivers (and they usually drive BMWs in my experience) just cant handle being beaten!

So the moral of the story is that BMW may come close to building the "ulimate driving machine", but theyre not piloted by the "ultimate" drivers.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

530i = Slower
330i = Faster

You should have had not bother with a 530i.

Greeper in your first post you said 330i and 530i so what was it!

I dont know all the figures, but the 530i is listed in Autocar with a 0-60 of 6.8, 0-100 in 17.6, 30-70 through gears of 6.4 and a top whack of 150mph. I dont count that as slow!!!

The 530i is listed as having a power-to-weight ratio of 155 bhp/ton in Evo. The 330i Coupe is, incidentally , listed as having 154 bhp/ton.

Not sure the 330i Coupe is that much faster as has been suggested - if at all. Probably different gear ratios though.

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Thanks Ben

Just had a little fun with an Audi A4 1.8T (not sure on this ones performance) and a Z3 (unknown engin size), they were racing each other, when they went passed me, my acceleration from 70 to 90 in 5th surprised me and I caught both of them in seconds. I was constantly backing off so as not to get too close as I am still getting the feel of the car. The 530ci was a hell of a lot faster than these two.

I am really beginning to like the 172 , it is by far the fastest car I have ever driven. VA VA Voooooommm!!!!!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Ben - Never said it was slow just "SLOWER" than a 172 146bhp/tonne according to BMW literature. 0-62 in 7.4secs

Its the 330s that are really fast!!!

Had a race with a Mitsubishi 3000GT a while back and he could shake me off his rear bumper He didnt take it too well either, giving me the finger as he turned off.....charming! Bet he wasnt best pleased at his Jap crap being pursued by a humble hot hatch

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Maybe he was pissed off at having someone sitting on his ass making him feel unsafe as should he have braked youd have gone into him.

Remember, different drivers react differently to people driving close to them, some accelerate, some slow down and some...slam on anchors

Clio 197

Guys,

I dont want to sound like an old fart here but these races are anything but. Sure a little fun here and there with another car is OK provided the way is clear but there is no way you can call it racing, especially when you dont really know what frame of mind the other driver is in. Is he a doctor or emergency worker on his way to a serious incident? Is he just a daydreaming commuter on his way to or from work? Either one is likely to be unimpressed by your "challenge" or possibly even be aware that they are in any sort of "race"!

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Eddd

You are quite right, I never get close to bumpers, I dont undertake under any circumstances. They are the as close to a race as I want on public roads. I was having some fun, and learning what my car is capable off. The 530CI started the first little race by flooring his car away from lights after giving my little car a disdainful look. The Audi and the Z3 were racing each other I just tagged on the end to see if I could stay with them. I had to keep braking to stop getting too close (five car lengths+).

I think we are old enough to work out when someone wants to have some fun and also experienced to know when not too. I wont race in a 40mph Red Road area with 74 casulaties in 12 months however, tell the 30 odd cars that were overtaking and racing on that road. They are the reason for the 74 casualties.

Age also has very little to do with racing. In my experience a lot of BMWs are driven by idiots and they are often over 50. The three drivers of the cars I played with were all in excess of 50.

CTR EK9 turbo

I got toasted yesterday by 530d in my 1.2 16v courtesy boat. He really badly cut me up, without using his indicators. I held my lights on full beam and held the horn down, he still came out into the road and after driving in front of me for about 100 yards, flicked his indicator on!? nob end!

Greeper - well said that man!!

viceroy - I was a safe distance off his read bumper....I too cant stand tailgaters, so he had plenty of time/space to brake if he had needed it.
Try not to jump to conclusions!

clio 20v

ahhh the tailgater, worst 1s are busy motorway tailgaters who really believe that by driving up really close to the car in front so they move out the way, this will get them to there destination twice as fast! numptys. however people who slam there brakes on to tailgaters obviously have a deathwish and could cause a serious accident, imho these r bigga numptys! (and want beating with a big stick!)

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

"Had a race with a Mitsubishi 3000GT a while back and he could shake me off his rear bumper"

This gives the impression you were within 2 car lengths...at highway speeds, that is too close...you should be travelling at least 2 seconds behind for it to be a safe braking distance.

"He didnt take it too well either, giving me the finger as he turned off"

More indication that you were uncomfortably close to his rear bumper.

Im simply commenting that I cant stand tailgaters even if they think they a safe distance, they might not be in the opinion of the driver in front

"Had a race with a Mitsubishi 3000GT a while back and he could shake me off his rear bumper"
This gives the impression you were within 2 car lengths...at highway speeds, that is too close...you should be travelling at least 2 seconds behind for it to be a safe braking distance.

>> Just shows you shouldnt jump to conclusions!! I try to use the 2 second rule when travelling on a m/way....

"He didnt take it too well either, giving me the finger as he turned off"
More indication that you were uncomfortably close to his rear bumper.

>> Not necessarily! Again, try not to jump to conclusions!! There are a plethora of reasons why he could have behaved like this...

Im simply commenting that I cant stand tailgaters even if they think they a safe distance, they might not be in the opinion of the driver in front
>>
Ahh, we agree on something!! I remember being tailgated by a huge Safeway lorry on the M25 who left it too late to brake and slewed onto the hard shoulder behind me cuz he couldnt stop in time....not a pleasant sight in your rear view mirror