ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First Renault Sport

Clio 200 Silverstone
Hey like it says on the label, Im getting my first renault sport tomorrow and was wondering if there is anything i should be aware of? like anything that is prone to go?

It's a Blue clio 197 Lux

Thanks

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Ajcman have a search matey. I'm really not up to speed on the 197 but am aware of lower ball joints going. Standard things like checking if the belts have been done as they are expensive to fix.

If it's got recaros they are prone to wear on the bolster.

Minimum info but hope it helps

Clio 200 Silverstone
Yeah i did have a look on t'internet and any advice is more than helpful buddy

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Gearboxes, belts/servicing, swivel hubs are the same as the 200s and meganes i think so check them. (If your driving the car and you turn the steering wheel, it should come back to the centre on its own, if it stays turned then they are faulty i believe.) Recaros.

Where are you getting it from mate? Down this way?

Westfield, 182, 200
Yep, bottom swivels, best way to check them is with the wheel off the ground, but not easy when you view a car.
Track rod ends and inner track rods fail too. Make sure cambelt is done, aux belt not as important as it doesn't run next the the can belt on the 197. Make sure gearbox synchros work and there is no crunching. Handbrake cables stick, mainly driver's side. Check air con if fitted as they can slowly leak gas. Seat and steering wheels wear (not just recaro seats). All bargaining points!

Good luck!

markerboy2002

East Of England - Norfolk
ClioSport Area Rep
  Liquid Yellow 182
mostly gearboxes. the few my mates have, have all had gearboxes made of cheese :p

Clio 200 Silverstone
Not getting it anymore, Traveled to Elgin three times for this car "being ready" phoned them twice before collecting it, allways saying it's ready and when i get there. it's not there the first time, the mechanic has to do a safety check the 2nd time and I can't remember why the 3rd time. NEVER buy from Arnold Clark Waste of time and money!