ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

first sign of trouble

right had the 172 for a couple of months now - 1700 miles, filled up last night (was just below quarter of a tank) with super unleaded, went in paid came out turned her over and that was all she did - just span over after about 3 secs stopped, tried again and she started no problem. Left to go to work this moning and exactly the same happened, got to work turned her off and she started up fine (3 times), any ideas, looks like I may be experimenting with my warranty soon! Anyone recommendations for dealers in Kent (import), specifically Maidstone, Medway way?

has happened to quite a few 1.2 16v owners, sometimes happes when you stop at a junction as well

reno keep saying there is no problem, yet you know there is

put it in for a diagnostic check, may just be an ECU problem and they need to update the software

Yep, get exactly the same problem.

Ive found that if you turn the ignition on and wait for the dash light to go out then turn to the starting position it seems to start first time. There was a thread about this a long while ago. It is quite a common problem on 172s.

I remember someone saying it was something to do ith the immobiliser?

Quote: Originally posted by chris_leic172 on 25 July 2003

Ive found that if you turn the ignition on and wait for the dash light to go out then turn to the starting position it seems to start first time. There was a thread about this a long while ago. It is quite a common problem on 172s.

Yeah, I have to do the same with mine. Not had a chance to take in in to be looked at yet

Quote: Originally posted by chris_leic172 on 25 July 2003

erm.....isnt that what it says to do in the handbook???? I always start cars like that. All modern cars with immobilisers are the same.....:D

VivJ, I dont agree, my wifes VW Lupo has an immobiliser and you can turn the key straight to the starting position and it will start every time, no messing around waiting. This is the first car I have come across that has this problem, and I have driven many cars with immobilisers.

Subaru Forrester

Mine will not start every time if I try and start the ignition before the lights have gone out. If I wait until they go out it starts 1st time every time.

Patience... ;)

2012 WRX Waggon

yep, same here - wont fire first time from cold, but no probs second go.

thank god its not just me!

only started happening last couple of months

CTR EK9 turbo

yeah its the immob. Mines even worse. When my engine is hot and ive turned it off, and then on straight away, well it wont turn on unless i open the bonnet, wiggle the starter motor/immobiliser wires and trial and error as to when it starts. An AA man showed me the "trick". Its in soon for its monthly niggle, but a few weeks back they couldnt find a problem with it despite them temporarily fixing it before!

Clio 172 Mk2

Mine is doing the same its been in the garage 4 times now and is going in for a 5th soon. Am hoping to get the problem sorted, but who knows. Its put me off the car a bit now as the clowns at the garage keep saying its fixed but it is the same old story nearly ever morn when I turn that key.:mad: