ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First wedding...done

I mentioned to my sister about a year ago how much I enjoyed designing all the stuff for my wedding, and that if she needed anything for hers to let me know...

So, save the dates, invitations, place names, seating plan, menus, signs, setting up on the day, and wedding photos!

I didn't really give it any thought or research as I was so busy leading up to it, my prep consisted of stocking up on memory and batteries and hoping it went ok, not ideal but I also didn't really want to shoe-horn into standard wedding stuff, they trusted me on my instincts (even though I've never shot people) so it seemed silly to follow a 'rule-book' of wedding photography. All they asked for was a short list of group shots, and to make sure I was in some photos (!)

On the day I was at the venue at 10am setting up all the bits and pieces, then I headed to the hotel everyone was staying at, checked everyone in etc, finally arrived at the venue just in time to get a shot of the grooms party before it all started.

The wedding itself was an utter whirlwind, loads of moments when I was just enjoying the fact it was my sisters wedding, then realising I should be taking photos as well! I set up the formals that needed me in them and handed over to one of the best men, so that covered off that potential issue. I 'officially' stopped taking photos after the first dance at 9pm, but I knew my sister would love some video, so I shot a bunch of video in the evening through till midnight...at 10am the next morning I was back at the venue clearing out as they shot off on their honeymoon!

From a technical view, I had with me a D600, D7000, Sigma 35mm 1.4, Nikon 80-200mm 2.8 AF-S and Nikon 85mm 1.8. The D7000 and 85mm were back-ups, the D600/80-200 combo covered the ceremony and speeches, the D600/35mm combo covered everything else (formals, details, evening etc). I was tempted to play it safe and buy a 24-70 2.8, but I'm really pleased I stuck with my much loved 35mm, some of the shots would have been near impossible without it. Going forward I would be more than happy with a D600/35mm 1.4 and D600/135mm set-up, but as Sigma/Nikon don't currently make anything around 135 that appeals (and 85mm alone is a bit short), the 80-200 will do just fine.

A few samples here...

http://www.chrisharrisonphotography.com/blog/2014/6/5/kim-john-may-30th-2014

Delivered 252 photos in the little package you see at the end of the blog post exactly a week after the wedding (when they got back from their honeymoon), 12 prints, 3 photo CDs, 3 DVDs with slideshow, and 2 memory sticks (one with all high-res pics, the other with all the video), to say they were pleased with it would be an understatement!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Awesome photos! Was at my cousins wedding on Saturday and the photographer was running about like a maniac all day! There was also a camera man recording the whole thing!

BG DCI
Awesome photos! Was at my cousins wedding on Saturday and the photographer was running about like a maniac all day! There was also a camera man recording the whole thing!

Where did he get married?

We went away this weekend and saw a wedding at Torthworth Court Hotel...

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Nice work! You did a good job of capturing the day, not to mention being a guest always makes things harder. Weddings make 12 hour day fly by in an instant!

You going to shoot any others?

I shoot weddings with one camera (d800) and a normally 5 lenses - 35mm f.14 / 85mm f1.4 /16-35mm f4 /105mm f2.8 macro / 70-200mm f2.8

Normally the 35mm and 85mm cover everything I need. the 105 is great for candid portraits and detail shots and then 16mm for wide etc. I barley touch my 70-200 but it is there if I need it.

Nice work - also did my first wedding using D600 too. Although nearly every shot was taken using the Tamron 28-75mm. Couldnt fault it TBH!

Nice work - also did my first wedding using D600 too. Although nearly every shot was taken using the Tamron 28-75mm. Couldnt fault it TBH!

It made it very easy to concentrate on taking photos, Aperture Priority, Auto ISO with a minimum shutter speed of 1/100 with no upper limit on ISO, job done, I just then had to concentrate on which Aperture to use.

I was a little worried considering I was informed by a pro that the venue is the worst he's ever experienced (for light inside the main room), my sister then informed me she had only asked for one single light to be on in there! We didn't have any sun all day, but I didn't find it too bad overall.

Chris I've just been through the first link and it's really good photography, a great twist to the norm and some innovative candid sand posed shots. They have that full frame 'look' too! nice!