ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting an NT5 faceplate

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Ive currently got an old style BT socket with no removable bottom half.

Ive had an NT5 faceplate for a while and with me having real bad internet problems im gonna give this a try.

problem is ive got no idea what im doing.

ive just taken the old socket off and currently have it wired as so:

Main line ( i think)

BLACK- 2
GREEN- 5

Extension

ORANGE/WHITE- 4
WHITE/BLUE- 5
ORANGE- 3
BLUE- 2

On the NT5 socket ive got A and B on the main part and on the removable faceplate 2,3,4 and 5

Can anyone tell me which wire goes where on the new socket as ive not a clue....or even better a little diagram.

Also do i need the special tool at all to connect the cables?

Thanks

nte5.jpg

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Before i try this....Ive found out the 2 orange on he extension are not needed.

Only the 2 blue is this right?

Thanks

172 Cup
2 and 5 are the only wires needed.

3 is the bell ring wire and 4 is a spare/ground for PABX.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
2 and 5 are blue ...thats the extension sorted.

Its just the black and green which are the main phone do they go to the 2 screw posts A and B

nte5-1.jpg

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Remember your not supposes to fit an NT5 yourself as its part of BT's network still. The demarcation point for you is currently any extension after this main (old) socket!

172 Cup
An NTE5 filtered faceplate is designed to be used with a BT Master socket aka NTE5.

Sounds like you're trying to "bodge" it as you've got an old mastersocket. Also the colours you're describing are old BT colour codes so I don't really want to say anything incase you end up with no working phone line mate.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Ok no problem...Thanks griff

Ive just disconnected the 2 orange from the extension and the phones still working ...i might try this for a few days.

I was told the orange bell ring could be causing the slow speeds.....So ill leave it for now with the old socket and see how it goes.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
An NTE5 filtered faceplate is designed to be used with a BT Master socket aka NTE5.

Sounds like you're trying to "bodge" it as you've got an old mastersocket. Also the colours you're describing are old BT colour codes so I don't really want to say anything incase you end up with no working phone line mate.

Yup it seems like he has old school wiring into an old Master Socket with a non-removable panel.

The panel you have J will only work with a new style Master Socket, which is only available and fitted by a BT Openreach Engineer.

The existing line will have the 2 wires attatching to the back panel of the new NTE5 Master socket. A + B.

The positive cable (50v dc) should connect to A.

Again your wiring maybe different, should really only be done by an engineer with suitable testing equipment as its against the law to tamper with BT wiring before the demarcation point.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Ok no problem...Thanks griff

Ive just disconnected the 2 orange from the extension and the phones still working ...i might try this for a few days.

I was told the orange bell ring could be causing the slow speeds.....So ill leave it for now with the old socket and see how it goes.

Yes removing the bell wire should help. I removed them from all my extension in the house and it gained me an extra 975k on my broadband sync!

Its the ringer wire 3 (normally orange) you should remove) Leave the other intact.

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
Yeah it is an old style plate without the removable faceplate.

With just removing the orange wires im now syncing at 1mb more than before.

Ill leave it for now and see how it goes.

Thanks guys

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Yeah it is an old style plate without the removable faceplate.

With just removing the orange wires im now syncing at 1mb more than before.

Ill leave it for now and see how it goes.

Thanks guys

Good stuff!

Make sure you have soem decent quality filters and you should be sorted. Also unplug anything you dont really need/use.

I got rid of old extensions and unplugged my sky box. Made a much better syn and never had problems since.

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Shouldnt need filters with that setup.

He hasnt fitted the new NTE5 so no pre-filtered panel in his setup.

Seeing as hes not fitting it, he should use some good quality filters in his case.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Sorry i didn't read the thread and assumed he'd fitted it to the master.

(as you would, or its pointless)