ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting new disc and pads.

Just a couple of questions as I've attempted to fit mine today.

I couldn't fit my discs because those torque screws that hold the disc to the hub have rounded off, what's the best way to remove them? drill the head?

I've fitted my pads (Ferodo DS2500) but there's an issue, I took the car out got the brakes up to a decent temperature then started pushing the brake pedal firmly at higher speeds, they faded really quickly and when I got back home there was smoke pouring from the calipers. What have I done to cause that?

E87 118d M Sport
pushed the brake pedals firmly at high speeds i imagine.

have they completely rounded off, or could you hammer an allen key in?

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
drill the heads, then the discs will come off and you'll be able to get the screws out with a set of grips. and new pads pads often smoke when thy've have just been fitted, have you fitted the new discs to your old pads though?

drill the heads, then the discs will come off and you'll be able to get the screws out with a set of grips. and new pads pads often smoke when thy've have just been fitted, have you fitted the new discs to your old pads though?

No, my new discs haven't been on the car yet as I couldn't remove the old discs so I've only fitted the new pads.

Another thing I noticed after fitting the new pads though was, if you press the brake pedal they seem to lock the disc up, it takes some force to get it spin again but once you have it'll spin freely until you press the brake pedal again.

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
your old discs will be lipped so your new pads will have to be bedded into the old discs (which is probably why your brakes are poo), your new pads will have a sort of chamfer on them now. This is why you shouldn't really put old pads in with your new discs. Your Ferodo will be bedded into the old discs so when you put your new discs in they wont wear evenly and you'll get a lip on them very quickly

your old discs will be lipped so your new pads will have to be bedded into the old discs (which is probably why your brakes are poo), your new pads will have a sort of chamfer on them now. This is why you shouldn't really put old pads in with your new discs. Your Ferodo will be bedded into the old discs so when you put your new discs in they wont wear evenly and you'll get a lip on them very quickly

Ahhh I see. I've not covered much mileage with the current set up, maybe 3 miles at the max, or will it still be to late?

LiquidRich

ClioSport Club Member
  LY R27
Ahhh I see. I've not covered much mileage with the current set up, maybe 3 miles at the max, or will it still be to late?
You need to check the pads when you remove them, if you haven't driven them hard you should be ok. Otherwise you could just machine the top few mil off if you have acces to a milling machine

There was a slight mark in the pad along the top edge where it's been rubbing against the lip on my old discs.

Managed to get everything fitted anyway, thanks for advise.

Skoda Fabia vRS
your supposed to go easy on new pads for a good few mile before you start doing high speed heavy braking