ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting number plates

Clio Expression 1.2 16V
Bit of a random question but how do you go about drilling a number plate, if its done wrongly could my number plate crack?

Its stuck on with adhesive patches but theyre currently falling off so want to drill them.

Also, Im presuming Halfords sell like a screw kit with the yellow/black/white caps to put over them?

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
i wanna know about this too .. last month someone stole my front plate which was on sticky tape too. woke up yesterday outside my gfs house someone decided to put loads of grass and wheat grain looking things all on my bonnet and all over the car then ripped the plate off and put it upside down. w*****s

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
just drill a pilot hole and if need be use a bit bigger drill bit! just go slow! but pads look a lot better!

Petrol Blue 182.
some people i know use velco, i used screws, just drilled in lol, didnt give any thought wether it could crak tho :S woops lol, its alrite tho,

Excuse the other holes, they were already on there when i got the car

DSC00342.jpg

clio 1.5 dci
when fixing number number via screws, turn the number round so the reg is facing down, get the old one tape the too together to get the correct hole position, and using the correct drill bit make hole(slowly- to avoid cracking), job done

ive done this many times and i haven't had a number plate crack on me yet.

Punto/Clio GTT
start off by drilling 2 holes in your plates where you want the screws to be. drill them BIGGER than the screws, so the screws just fall in. best to put it on a piece of wood or something so you can drill straight through, dont drill them on the floor

then put your plate to your tailgate, tape it on with masking tape and allign it so youre happy. measure it with a tape measure so its perfectly central, then use a drillbit smaller than the screw youre using (usually 1/8th) and drill straight through. then just screw in your screws.