ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FK System B Spacers - Wrong Bolts?

Ph2 Clio 172
I've just got some 20mm FK bolt to hub spacers, but I'm not sure they have the correct bolts? The spacers have tapered holes that look like they are designed for tapered head bolts, like standard wheel bolts. However what came with them are the squared headed allen key type bolts? Its also a pack of 10 that's been opened and had 2 removed?

For those of you with FK spacers, what bolts did you get?

I also thought the FK spacers has steel threads? Or is that just the H&R ones?

172 Flamer
There should be 8 holes in each spacer, the tapered holes are for your actual wheel bolts, which you may need to shorten with a hacksaw if they foul the hub when you tighten them up, the other 4 holes are for the allen key type bolts.

Ph2 Clio 172
But then I'd be using squared bolts in the tapered holes in the wheels themselves?

The bolts should be to bolt the spacer to the hub. Looking at pictures it looks like the 15mm bolt to hubs use squared holes and the allen bolts, while the deeper kits use tapered bolts in tapered holes. The pics of my kit show tapered bolts.

It looks like I've got the bolts from a 5 hole 15mm kit in my 4 hole 20mm kit.

Ph2 Clio 172
I know how to fit them, I'm saying the shape of the counter sunk holes doesn't match the shape of the bolts.

You can see in that thread the holes are counter sunk at a constant radius to a point, and then the rest of the hole is at a smaller radius making a step, which creates a flat surface for the squared head of the allen bolts. My spaceres are counter sunk in a cone creating a tapered hole like a normal wheel bolt uses on a wheel, but the bolts I have aren't tapered.

The fact its a set of 10 that's been ripped open and had 2 removed is enough to suggest their wrong too.

Fair enough if they were sold as "with fasteners."

Finding an actual shop with a decent bolt collection is annoyingly difficult these days, but shouldn't be too hard to find some M12x1.5 capheads with a tapered washer face. Easy enough to measure the countersink angle with a straight edge and protractor.

Ph2 Clio 172
Fair enough if they were sold as "with fasteners."

Finding an actual shop with a decent bolt collection is annoyingly difficult these days, but shouldn't be too hard to find some M12x1.5 capheads with a tapered washer face. Easy enough to measure the countersink angle with a straight edge and protractor.

I could, but I've paid for spacers with bolts. I've got back to the seller about it but not heard from them yet.

Ph2 Clio 172
New. Apparently.

The paperwork is in German but I think it gives specs on the bolts for each type. Ill translate it tonight.

Regardless of if my kit should or shouldn't have bolts, the ones that have come with it are wrong.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Will you just take a picture? I think I see what you're saying, but it seems so unlikely, as the bolts that fix the spacer to the hub are normally specially made and quite a specific part of what makes the kit worth it's money.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
im running these too, my bolt to hub bolts are square headed and the holes on the spacer are also squared so that the bolts counter sink into them and sit flush

Ph2 Clio 172
Will you just take a picture? I think I see what you're saying, but it seems so unlikely, as the bolts that fix the spacer to the hub are normally specially made and quite a specific part of what makes the kit worth it's money.

I've been at work all day. Ill get a pic up.

Ph2 Clio 172
The spacers with sloped holes:

IMG_20140529_205224_zps28xkbmfx.jpg

Square headed bolts:

IMG_20140529_205301_zpsyjedctzk.jpg

The problem (I've got number 3):

IMG_20140529_205856_zpsziwcqzos.jpg

The bolts in the hole, not fitting flush and looking far to small:

IMG_20140529_210055_zps5ghvzzez.jpg

What I was expecting:

51QIYoyTqsL._SX300_.jpg

Rob, sorry but this is just not the case. They're just standard "caphead" bolts in a standard metric size "M12 fine."

The bolts provided are designed to sit in a counterBORE ("square"). The spacers have been machined with a counterSINK (tapered). Clearly there are only two possibilities:

1) They've simply put the wrong bolts in the box (they should be "countersunk capheads") - believable.
2) The bolts are correct but they've accidentally machined an entire batch (it'll be CNC'd, not done by hand) of spacers with a countersink instead of a counterbore - less believable.

Edit: Opened reply before Skeeter posted - but spot on exactly what his pictures show!

Ph2 Clio 172
I'm going with option 1. The pics show tapered bolts, but the pack was open and states 10 bolts but only has 8, so I expect the seller (rather than FK) have chucked the wrong bolts in the box.

They were bought from Amazon but so far the seller hasn't responded.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Rob, sorry but this is just not the case. They're just standard "caphead" bolts in a standard metric size "M12 fine."

The bolts provided are designed to sit in a counterBORE ("square"). The spacers have been machined with a counterSINK (tapered). Clearly there are only two possibilities:

1) They've simply put the wrong bolts in the box (they should be "countersunk capheads") - believable.
2) The bolts are correct but they've accidentally machined an entire batch (it'll be CNC'd, not done by hand) of spacers with a countersink instead of a counterbore - less believable.

Edit: Opened reply before Skeeter posted - but spot on exactly what his pictures show!

When I got mine, the heads were "shallower" than a standard tapered wheel bolt. Like the actual hexagonal head.

I'm going with option 1. The pics show tapered bolts, but the pack was open and states 10 bolts but only has 8, so I expect the seller (rather than FK) have chucked the wrong bolts in the box.

They were bought from Amazon but so far the seller hasn't responded.

100% incorrect though, your diagram explains it perfectly so I'd be tempted to send that over.

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep. Those bolts aren't right for those spacers.

Everytime I've seen bolt to hub spacers, they've been flat though. Like this:

vazehegu.jpg

Clio 182
Wrong bolts 100%
Send them back or ask them to send you the correct locating bolts. Do not use the untapered bolts they will be dangerous.

Ph2 Clio 172
This is such a ball ache. This is the second set I've bought. The first set were from a place that listed them as in stock when they weren't and then after 8 weeks they hadn't had any more from FK. Cancelled and bought these and now there wrong. Grr.

I've asked twice for the correct bolts from the seller. If they don't respond today then I'm getting a refund.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
But H&R spacers from Euro car part's, best spacers ive seen.

Even have steel inserts for the wheel bolts.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401431183500.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401431183500.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 106
  Ph2 Clio 172
Standard wheel bolts have a head that is too big so would prevent the wheel sitting flush. The bolts the kit should have are short headed.

Ph2 Clio 172
I'm sending them back, if the seller ever responds to anything I've sent on Amazon.

Does anyone know if the H&R ones come with bolts?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I ordered mine from Larkspeed, they came to me with a Euro Car Parts label on the box and where sent direct from ECP.

If id of known then id have ordered direct from them as i have a trade account.

Ph2 Clio 172
Any idea where I could buy just the bolts? The seller has offered a 30% refund and I keep them, which I might do providing I can find some bolts somewhere.

And before I end up stuck again, can someone confirm that the standard wheel bolts are not to long to fit OZ F1s to 20mm spacers?

Last edited:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Any idea where I could buy just the bolts? The seller has offered a 30% refund and I keep them, which I might do providing I can find some bolts somewhere.

And before I end up stuck again, can someone confirm that the standard wheel bolts are not to long to fit OZ F1s to 20mm spacers?

They are to long but only need a few mm taken off of them.

Im sure you wont be able get the bolts as they are shallow headed.

Standard Renault bolts hit the hub.

20140526_121018_zpsd4c7fb82.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
Tell him to stuff his discount and get some proper ones. This is something you don't want to be p1ssing around with.. Up to you of course.

I know what I would do though.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Tell him to stuff his discount and get some proper ones. This is something you don't want to be p1ssing around with.. Up to you of course.

I know what I would do though.

This 100 %.

They are the only things holding your wheel on.

Buy the H&R and be done with it.

Ph2 Clio 172
There going back.

But now I'm wondering if 20mm is too thin to use my standard wheel bolts? I'm not keen on taking a hacksaw to things, but don't need massive stance, hence going for the thinnest bolt to hub ones. Should I jump up to 25mm to be safe, or am I risking rubbing issues using F1s on a 172?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
25mm is fine I just like a little bit of tuck on my ph1.

It's like 2mm needs to be taken off the bolts for 20mm spacers

Ph2 Clio 172
I'm worried 25mm will be too much? It looks like 20mm will be pushing it but I want bolt to hub as its a track car.

Gotta refund on the ones from Amazon, so I'd like it if my 3rd attempt at buying a set resulted in success :p