ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flapping noise coming from engine bay?...Please god no!!!

Flame Red 172!
Yesterday I started hearing a really quiet sort of squeaking noise from the passenger side of the car (i think?) when pulling away with low revs - got home and opened bonnet and i'm sure there is a sort of flapping noise coming from the engine somewhere again on the passenger side.

The sqeaking (sort of sounds like something needs oiling?) doesn't happen when I rev the car when stationary but almost alway does when pulling away and then goes away.

Really worried that something's going to snap soon and scared to drive really, don't want to blow up my new car - its a 51 plate 172 and I only got it a week ago!

Will it be blatently obvious if something has gone or going, will lights flash/bells ring, etc?!?!

Can anybody help me please, pretty desperate here!

Thanks. :(

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
both.. just that the passenger side has no drive belts ect... so if it does it at idle then the only moving parts are the g.box.

so if it goes when the clutch is down then will be the release bearing

or somthing to do with the box

if not and it only happens when you move then id say the wheel arch is rubbing on the wheel

Flame Red 172!
Right, i'll check that on my lunch break...only thing is that the car is not lowered at all and it's got pretty low profile tyre on it so there looks like there lots of room.

Noticed also that when I put full lock on the steering wheel, there is a much louder sqeaking noise? - is this normal?

This is doing my f**king head in!...only had the thing a week...starting to fall out of love with it pretty damn quick!

Flame Red 172!
Progress?!...

Have checked where the Aux belt is on the drivers side and it doesn't look frayed or anything...Then thought, hold on a minute, i've just had a new powerflow exhaust fitted and I wonder if it has anything to do with that?

Checked under the car whilst it was running and noticed that there is fluid spitting out at the flange (love that word!) where the cat meets the new pipe...maybe it has something to do with that? - sorry i'll re-phrase, PLEASE GOD TELL ME IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THAT!!!!

Alsp there is little fast-paced ticking noise coming from the engine but I assume this is normal?

Can anyone tell me where the cambelt is located in the engine bay so I can check it?

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
The ticking noise is normal.

I believe it might be the carbon canister. The noise comes from the drivers side front of the engine, I had it replaced under warranty as it got more louder.