ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flashing oil icon and stop on dash

Wasnt sure where to put this but;

When the engine is warm when i come to a stop the oil icon flashes like mad, a little blip of the throttle it goes, start moving it goes. Until I stop again. When i start the car up it says oil ok and I checked the oil level on the dip stick it was full.

What could it be? Anything I should be concerned about?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Oil light (IIRC) normally means 'no oil pressure' .. could be no oil (you've checked this), duff pump, duff sender, or just a bit of Frenchness coming into play.

Good luck :S

53 Clio's & counting
As said

Oil pressure sender
Wiring fault
Low oil
Oil pump fault

But as you say is goes when driving id say low oil pressure on idle could be (putting it basic) engine wear :(

What oil do you have in there now? Too thin and it could be letting the pressure go too low

I have no idea what oil is in as it hasnt been serviced since I bought it... in May, been fine up until now.

Engine wear? Doesn't even have 90k on yet, looks liek it's had a hard life.

Looks like things could get expensive :(

53 Clio's & counting
Id start by getting the fault codes checked and changing the oil for some 5w40 - then see how it is

Right so it's still doing this, it seems to stop doing if you rev past a certain point, which increases as the car warms up. I've just drove to Leeds and back without a problem.

But I'm beggining to think it is electrical since noticing this problem I've also had/noticed;

One headlight gone
One foglight gone
Automatic door lock not working
Door double locking/ unlocking. I.e trying to lock car as im walking away the car locks then unlocks straight away

That seems to be a rather long list and all seems a bit coincidental to me, to all happen at once.

Battery going maybe?

Any help will really be appreciated, im getting desperate.

Lou

I had this and what it turned out to be was the wires on the oil pressure switch were touching something and shorting out. This only happened after a certain RPM! The wires were moved and never had the issue again!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds very much to me like you don't really give a toss about your car - This is a very important light and it will not be a battery issue so ignore the warning of a potential oil pressure problem at your own peril (and that of your wallet)!

It could turn out to be something as simple as wiring or a duff oil pressure switch BUT that doesn't mean you should be blasé about the situation. It could also be a genuine oil pressure problem due to:
  • Oil Pump worn/faulty
  • Pickup blockage
  • Low Oil level
What I can't understand is why you've not taken the advice above in post #3 to physically check the oil level via the dip-stick as this will take you all of 1 minute and could potentially pin point the problem and save your engine from death. The electronic gauge may be saying all is well but they're unreliable at the best of times which is why the manual clearly advises you to do a weekly check with the actual dipstick.

Mick

Don't take this the wrong way but it sounds very much to me like you don't really give a toss about your car - This is a very important light and it will not be a battery issue so ignore the warning of a potential oil pressure problem at your own peril (and that of your wallet)!

It could turn out to be something as simple as wiring or a duff oil pressure switch BUT that doesn't mean you should be blasé about the situation. It could also be a genuine oil pressure problem due to:

• Oil Pump worn/faulty
  • Pickup blockage
  • Low Oil level
What I can't understand is why you've not taken the advice above in post #3 to physically check the oil level via the dip-stick as this will take you all of 1 minute and could potentially pin point the problem and save your engine from death. The electronic gauge may be saying all is well but they're unreliable at the best of times which is why the manual clearly advises you to do a weekly check with the actual dipstick.

Mick

Fistly thank you for the advice it is appreciated.

But of course I give a toss about the car, otherwise I wouldn't be asking and I have checked the dip stick ( As I said in the OP), the problem is money, I'm broke at the moment and any costly repair is just not going to be possible. Driving it may seem silly but its the only way I can have any income, however small at the moment.

Looks like i'll have to bite the bullet and see what the garage say, but just feel if it is something like wiring or a dodgey oil pressure switch theyll have my pants down, cars arent exactly my forte and I wouldnt know if they were.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Then appologies, I didn't see that - Most likely cause if the oil pressure switch itself as its very common.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
fairly cheap at around £20 I believe or you can use one off any other Renault as they've never really changed the design on the petrol engines.