ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flat Battery Last Night.

Last night at around 8:30 before I set off to a friends house a few miles away I did the secret diagnostic/fault check and proceeded to start the ignition. I then switched off and tried to switch back on again but the car didn't like this. Tried again and it started fine. So drove about a 6-7 mile round trip to pick up a friends and chillout at a different friends last night.

As we go to leave I unlock my car via the fob which works fine, get in and start the ignition to be met with a car struggling to turn over. What looks to be a reasonably flat battery. A few signs of life with the clock & climate control screens dim. I found it odd that I wasn't even able to lock it via the key-fob so it must have been really flat!

So we jump start it and I drive my friend home. When we get there I decided to see if it was retaining any life so switched off and couldn't even lock the car again let alone get it to fire up. Thought it may have been something to do with the keyfob so was driven back home to pick up my spare key and still no luck.

So, as I need to get myself to the station this morning I called the RAC out for them to confirm a flat battery and to be told to 'take myself home and get a new battery'. However as I need my car this morning I got him to fit a new one for me for £68 :dead: ( I used to work for Halfrauds but no longer have a trade card :dapprove:) Was still a few issues with it turning over but the voltmeter on battery was reading fine 12 volts cold. So it was boosted again from the RAC van and giving out just over a healthy 14 volts.

Gave it a quick run around for 10-15 minutes after it had been sat there running for around 10. It did lock fine ( I should hope so to!) when I got home.

Fingers crossed it starts in half an hours time!

I do quick short journeys to work just under 2 miles either way and have been in London every weekend lately on training courses so haven't really been able to drive the car much. I had no idea I would be working this close to home! So he has recommended around once a month to just disconnect the earth and trickle charge it over night which seems logical.

He did however mention that the size and rating of the battery (420A) seemed very small for the size of the engine and is a similar size battery to what he'd fit into a 1.2 or 1.6. The cold air feed pipe for the air box stops you being able to fit a larger battery.

It did have the original Renault battery from when it rolled off the production line in 2005 so was near the end of it's life expectancy, so I'm told.

I did have Autoglass come and repair a chip in my windscreen yesterday at work too where they used my cigarette lighter socket for power for their devices but the car started fine when I left work.

Anybody had any problems starting a 182 after a battery change?

Thanks

Ben