ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

fli sub

clio billabong 1.2 16v
i just bought a fli sub with built in amp ive noticed that after been on pretty loud for 1 hour it turns itself off and goes into protection mode as the amp is too warm im guessing is there anyone on here with the same sub that has managed to get around this problem

MK3

Dynamiqueee
Shouldn't be over heating mate. IIRC the built in amps are only 150 watts or so, so size of power cable could have something to do with it but i wouldn't have thought so. Where have you mounted the ground wire to?

clio billabong 1.2 16v
the sub is 1000 watts and i think the amp is 250 or something the ground wire is mounted to the rear of my seat underneath the torque screw bolt in the boot and not sure on the gauge wire before though i had a different amp and sub and that ran ok but this one seems to turn it self off after an hour of constant use and bass going through

MK3

Dynamiqueee
The sub is 1000 watts max, 300 watts rms

Dunno then mate, im far from an expert. Could be something to do with your gain being set too high? How did you set it?

need more info from you,what gauge cable,what settings is everything at,running from low level or high level output?youve mentioned the earthing point

clio billabong 1.2 16v
tbh i dont know much about sound systems i have my frequency set just after half way and my gain just before half way probs no help ill just have to have a mess around with the amp gonna try putting a computer fan on the heat sinks to keep them cool and then if it still does it then i konw its not an overheating issue

MK3

Dynamiqueee
If you've got an active sub, doesn't that mean the amp that is built in is matched to the sub, so its unlikely to be settings?

Not all of the time mate. Im pretty sure the amp isn't going to be 300 watts RMS. According to the user manual the subs 'minimum input' is 150 watts RMS, so it's more than likely going to be around that.

clio billabong 1.2 16v
im certain its overheating now as when it overheats in an hour it goes off for a few mins and then comes back on for 15 mins then goes back off for a few mins then back on 15 mins again unless i leave it turned of for half an hour to cool down so im going to wire a fan to the heat sinks this weekend and see if that helps it a little bit

clio billabong 1.2 16v
also when it cuts out once even if i have it on a low volume it still seems to cut in and out every 15 mins even if im on 10 volume which is not very loud i can barely hear the music

BMW 330ci Clubsport
As has been mentioned, are you using high gains? This could cause the amp to be "pushing to hard", so you could just turn that down and turn up the bass via your headunit

clio billabong 1.2 16v
im not sure what gauge wire it is but its the standard one that came with the sub so i cant see that been the problem

Iceberg 172
I doubt it's over heating mate...

Are you running an aftermarket head unit? ie using the sub out put on the HU?

Do you have Sub controls on your head unit? What level is that at?

TBH it's probably more down to you abusing it... It's a cheap sub so it's not going to be a great sub... If you're hammering it for a hour the voicecoil in the Sub is probably getting abused so the amp will go into safety mode to stop you from blowing it up!

clio billabong 1.2 16v
I doubt it's over heating mate...

Are you running an aftermarket head unit? ie using the sub out put on the HU?

Do you have Sub controls on your head unit? What level is that at?

TBH it's probably more down to you abusing it... It's a cheap sub so it's not going to be a great sub... If you're hammering it for a hour the voicecoil in the Sub is probably getting abused so the amp will go into safety mode to stop you from blowing it up!

that is probably most like it i just like my bass i have the bass on full most time on the hu but even if i have the bass half way on the hu it still cuts out if say i have it at volume 15 and 20 which isnt that loud when you get to about 30 that is loud my other freinds have fli subs but theres dont cut out