ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fluid change

Golf GTD Mk7
Having ordered a full brake change all four corners, i'm looking at changing the fluid to castrol. I want to clear the resevoir as the current fluid is full of crap. I know you're not supposed to fully bleed the system and i'm not too keen on pumping all the crap through the system really.

Is there any way to remove the dirty fluid without running it through the system to the nipples? Sounds stupid, but turkey baster or something like that?

baster or large syringe from a chemists to remove the fluid from the res, then top up with new fluid and go from there. it's a good idea to make sure the bleed nipples are free before starting

sorry - as in, not seized. basically, just go round each wheel and make sure you can slacken all of the bleed screws before starting (don't leave them free - just check they're not seized).
only suggested as, if any are seized, it can take some time to free them off and there's always the very real danger that they'll snap whilst doing it - sometimes better to leave things be (in that scenario) as you'll need much more time (and possibly a new caliper) to complete the job

Golf GTD Mk7
ah ok. with you now. They weren't bled that long ago, so I presume they wont be siezed by now. Will check that first though thanks henry.

Audi TT
I need to put my braided lines on and change fluid soon when the weather's a bit more dry.

Any guides on here with pics? Not done it since my 205GTi and that was about 10 years ago!

Golf GTD Mk7
i'm doing mine with fuel_slut this weekend so will get try and remember to get some pics up mate. Might do a little guide.

Golf GTD Mk7
Sorry mate, not done it yet. Didn't finish it all last weekend as the rear discs didn't arrive. Finished off rear dics/pads today. Might be doing the lines also. I'll get it up asap though. Was just going to put it all into one big guide :)

Audi TT
Nice one mate. Want to do mine this weekend if poss. :)

Can you get a decent brake fluid that's coloured from halfrauds or the like?

Golf GTD Mk7
I've posted it now, but it need to go through the moderators, so not sure when you'll be able to see it. Not sure about the coloured fluid. Put some food colouring in it ;)