ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

fogs!!!!!!!

Jon1978 said:
It's an ever increasing problem. I find that offering them the choice between a £30 ticket and switching them off tends to work.

there was a story on the local news recently where and old codger got done for £30 and then claimed he "left them on by accident" and the fine was "outrageous". TV news made out that it was all the fault of the police and he should of got away with a warning.

I was like hang on 1 its illegal and 2 the bif F**k off extra green/orange light on your dash gives you a clue numpty!

Astra SRi T
inferno cup said:
Fogs lights do not improve visibilty, you want to see what possible hazzard or corner is in front of you. Not whats 2 metres in front. Fogs are useless, they dont really work in the fog and they certantly dont improve visibilty at night. They might about 2 metres in front and maybe a bit to the each side of the car, but as I said. You want to know whats down the road and be able to stop in the distance that is seen to be clear!

well they do for me- so there:rasp:

wxmlad said:
You cant see other cars coming on narrow bk roads if u have main beam on!!

You can. You look for shadows and lit spots your lights can't light up. Plus when your main beam croses with another cars mean beam, you'll see the cross path of beams.

Plenty of country lanes around me and I've never had a problem spotting another driver at night whilst both have main beam on

clio 182 black /gold
I use mine not in the fog because a mate lives on anew estate and there are no street lights and the road is 100% finished yet. So am i a muppet?

^^^ I find I can drive much faster on a particular backroad near my house at night time, purely because it has a lot of completely blind bends where in daytime I car could be just around a corner. But at night time you can tell if anyone's coming by looking out for their light beams. All you've got to do is look for the shadows like Nightfire says.

Of course, I'm just waiting to run into the idiot coming the other direction with their sidelights and fogs on, not lighting up the road in the distance... :)

C

Cupster

I have my fogs and dipped beams on a night sometimes when there is rubbish steet lighting. Does make a difference as you get more light on the road. If I had HIDs I would never have my fogs on. When I do get HIDs I will be swapping the fogs for inlets :)

Astra SRi T
Nightfire said:
You can. You look for shadows and lit spots your lights can't light up. Plus when your main beam croses with another cars mean beam, you'll see the cross path of beams.

Plenty of country lanes around me and I've never had a problem spotting another driver at night whilst both have main beam on

well good for u, i prefere not to use main beam ok

Astra SRi T
Leeshez said:
I use mine not in the fog because a mate lives on anew estate and there are no street lights and the road is 100% finished yet. So am i a muppet?

i dont think u are no mate, but u'll get called on e just for the sake of it on here , i think some people on here have to much time on thier hands if fog lights cause this much of a prob:S god knows wot would happen if anything serious were to happen

E36 323i coupe
wxmlad said:
i dont think u are no mate, but u'll get called on e just for the sake of it on here , i think some people on here have to much time on thier hands if fog lights cause this much of a prob:S god knows wot would happen if anything serious were to happen

If you deal with the small crimes, a lot of worse ones can be avoided. In other words come down heavy on, fog lights, silly neons in the wrong place, and hopefully people will avoid the heaftier fines that come with other offences, the heaviest fine of all, being death.

E36 323i coupe
M1TCH said:
I flash people with full beams on that have fogs on, or turn my rear fogs on if someone following me has theres on.

Timmay said:
same here

Me too, but it rarely makes the slightest bit of difference. The drivers of the car in front or behind with fogs on is either stupid, incompetent, or simply an ignorant tw@t, and they'll either start tail-gating, or slam on, or just look baffled.
But hey, I do live in Hull, a town high on the list of stupidest in the country!!

E36 323i coupe
wxmlad said:
however driving out on country roads i think they improve visability!

inferno cup said:
Fogs lights do not improve visibilty, you want to see what possible hazzard or corner is in front of you. Not whats 2 metres in front. Fogs are useless, they dont really work in the fog and they certantly dont improve visibilty at night. They might about 2 metres in front and maybe a bit to the each side of the car, but as I said. You want to know whats down the road and be able to stop in the distance that is seen to be clear!

Well, I thought I would give this kid's theory a trial tonight.

So, on the way home from visiting my cousin, who lives in the countryside far from anything so modern as a street lamp, I flicked off my main beam that was lighting up the road (and hadn't caused me not to see the approach of other cars, because I could see their full beams cutting through the darkness from miles off) and making driving easy.

I then replaced my full beam with my front fogs, which are both brand new, with newly replaced glass fronts, and to be fair are a damn site brighter than any front fogs I've ever had on any car before.

Oh dear! My visibility of the grass verge and the centre of the road became magnificent. However, all of a sudden my frontwards visibility had become less than half of what it had previously been, and I found myself focussing on the little tiny bit of road illuminated by my fog lamps, and slowing down, and very rapidly SWITCHING MY FOG LIGHTS OFF AND MY MAIN BEAM BACK ON.

Jon1978 said:

So, on the way home from visiting my cousin, who lives in the countryside far from anything so modern as a street lamp, I flicked off my main beam that was lighting up the road (and hadn't caused me not to see the approach of other cars, because I could see their full beams cutting through the darkness from miles off) and making driving easy.

I then replaced my full beam with my front fogs, which are both brand new, with newly replaced glass fronts, and to be fair are a damn site brighter than any front fogs I've ever had on any car before.

Oh dear! My visibility of the grass verge and the centre of the road became magnificent. However, all of a sudden my frontwards visibility had become less than half of what it had previously been, and I found myself focussing on the little tiny bit of road illuminated by my fog lamps, and slowing down, and very rapidly SWITCHING MY FOG LIGHTS OFF AND MY MAIN BEAM BACK ON.

which was my original point 173 messages ago, fogs give no forward vision, so to turn your main lights to half lights (never know what the term is! one turn of the stalk), is just mental, you cannot see ahead of you when there are no street lights, so anyone who does this is plain crazy..

Astra SRi T
Jon1978 said:

right i said this was personal prefrence, not a rule you and others had to follow, and ill say it agian i prefere using dipped lights on bk roads with or with out fogs, fair enough?!?!?! im always driving on bk roads due to the location of where i live and i certinally prefere it- so to be honest i cant see the problem, im not doing any harm, prehapes my eye sight is better than yours i dont know, but this is just getting a bit petty now!

Astra SRi T
which particular bk roads are you driving on? the ones i drive on are very narrow lanes with hedges very high hedges and numerous bends you cannot see cars in the distance due to height of the hedges!

Astra SRi T
Jon1978 said:
If you deal with the small crimes, a lot of worse ones can be avoided. In other words come down heavy on, fog lights, silly neons in the wrong place, and hopefully people will avoid the heaftier fines that come with other offences, the heaviest fine of all, being death.

ffs, because i occasionally use fog lights on the bk roads doesnt mean im going to kill pensioners and regualrly break the law - i think your taring everyone with the same brush - believe it or not i consider myself to be a responsible citizen, im certianlly not going to be breaking the law big time as i work for a government dept and wouldnt risk loosing my job!!

E36 323i coupe
wxmlad said:
right i said this was personal prefrence, not a rule you and others had to follow, and ill say it agian i prefere using dipped lights on bk roads with or with out fogs, fair enough?!?!?! im always driving on bk roads due to the location of where i live and i certinally prefere it- so to be honest i cant see the problem, im not doing any harm, prehapes my eye sight is better than yours i dont know, but this is just getting a bit petty now!

Well if you start talking eyesight, then who's being petty now, but since you're asking, I am one line better than 20:20 - that's perfect vision.

Granted it is your choice, but it is still bizarre, barely credible, illegal and above all else, BLOODY DANGEROUS. If it was me who stopped you, however unlikely, I'd be thinking about "driving without due care", never mind a £30 ticket, and I'm not a traffic bobby.

For information, the roads I am talking about are in East and North Yorkshire. Many are no more than a car's width, and the hedges - while not being 20' high, are at least twice the height of the BM.

My advice: (take it or leave it, as it is as you say, personal choice) try losing the FOG lights, putting on full beam, and knocking 10-20mph off your speed. You'll see the oncoming cars, I promise you.

RenaultSport clio 182 cup
wxmlad said:
well they do for me- so there:rasp:

How can fogs improve visibilty? Where on the road do fogs shine? 100 yards down the road or right in front of you. If your fogs improve visibilty then I suggest you turn on your main beams!!

Astra SRi T
Jon1978 said:
Well if you start talking eyesight, then who's being petty now, but since you're asking, I am one line better than 20:20 - that's perfect vision.

Granted it is your choice, but it is still bizarre, barely credible, illegal and above all else, BLOODY DANGEROUS. If it was me who stopped you, however unlikely, I'd be thinking about "driving without due care", never mind a £30 ticket, and I'm not a traffic bobby.

For information, the roads I am talking about are in East and North Yorkshire. Many are no more than a car's width, and the hedges - while not being 20' high, are at least twice the height of the BM.

My advice: (take it or leave it, as it is as you say, personal choice) try losing the FOG lights, putting on full beam, and knocking 10-20mph off your speed. You'll see the oncoming cars, I promise you.

ok fair enough, all this from me prefering to drive with dipped lights ,also i think ur missing the point along the line somewhere - i dont regualrly drive with my fogs on i said OCCASIONALLY on bk road, and if u stopped me and fined me for not using main beam i think i may have a good complaint through the police complaints commision. knocking 10 - 20 mph off my speed id be doing about 2mph then, i drive safetly along bk roads. I think you'll find a lot of people prefere not to use main beam . whats the big deal ?

Astra SRi T
inferno cup said:
How can fogs improve visibilty? Where on the road do fogs shine? 100 yards down the road or right in front of you. If your fogs improve visibilty then I suggest you turn on your main beams!!

as other reply, i prefere not use use main beam:rolleyes: slightly confused here how me using dipped instead of main beam and occasional fogs makes me a crazy person????

What i would do is do what i have done to my 182 cup. I put the phillips gt150 light bulbs in and osram +50% brighter aswell. These improve the lighting by almost a further 30 metres. Plus it lights up the road in front of you aswell. I like you do a lot of driving down back roads and country lanes (40 miles a day) and they are excellent. They may be expensive, but well worth the cost. I would def. get some mate!!

I bought mine from Autobulbs Direct Ltd on the net. They gave me a really good discount and arrived next day.