ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

follow on of Steering problems

Hi all,

This is just a follow on of steering problems I have been having with my car (following a minor accident last year) and no one is accepting responsibility of the problem. So Ive been trying to sort this myself.

I went and had 4 wheel alignment recenly to check camber & castor etc - no problem was found to my amazement with either the front or rear wheels! So it doesnt look like anything is bent in that respect(?). But this follows on from something BRUN was saying in a recent thread. Could the following probs be anything to do with the steering rack, rather than a suspesion problem:

Major tramlining, car drifts to left, "light feel" to the steering, floatyness at higher speeds, back end kinda twitchy, and general unsteadyness to steering (wandering etc).

I was looking at selling the car, but I love it so much I would rather try and sort the problem! Any help appeciated :)

Andrew

Had similar thing on a mk 2 172 and it turned out to be bottom ball joint, would follow slightest rut in the road and at speed on a right hand bend car felt totally unsafe. Maybe of some help ( car had only done 10k ).

Cheers - I can look into that. How was it diagnosed it was the ball joint? (mines only done 5k!). Did you by any chance have a rumbling sound coming from the side of the dodgy ball joint?

siroldvolks long time no hear, off sh btw richsVTR

have u checked that both ur front tyres have the same pressure about 32ish i think and both got roughly equal tread on them, for somwe reason the 172s dont like having uneven tread depths makes them pull more, so many times we had to fit new front tyres at work for them to sort out pulling and floaty steering!

Got the car on a jack and got a bar between the lower part of the front hub and the ball joint, by levering the two apart slightly you could see loads of play in the ball joint. Dont make any noise though ( unless its really shot ) and i dont think yours would be that bad unless youve hit something.

Quote: Originally posted by richy on 07 March 2004

siroldvolks long time no hear, off sh btw richsVTR

have u checked that both ur front tyres have the same pressure about 32ish i think and both got roughly equal tread on them, for somwe reason the 172s dont like having uneven tread depths makes them pull more, so many times we had to fit new front tyres at work for them to sort out pulling and floaty steering!

Hi matey how goes things?

Yeah Ive checked tyre pressures - normally run about 33 front, 30 back. Did them again today to make sure they were correct! Dont get any uneven tyre wear though. hmmm. oh I wish I could sort this prob!

I keep taking it to renault, but they never bloody sort it.

Cheers Simms. Ill have a look and check anyways when it aint raining!

Skoda Fabia vRS

when you find out what it is mate, let me know, mines getting worse

sorting it on Tuesday tho, booked in first thing

if we cant find anythin i think i might get the rack replaced