ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

For 1.2 16v owners !

1.2 16v Dynamique.
While reversing, I was often getting the electrical pulse type warning light coming on on the dash which also made the revs fluctuate and sometimes cut out. After a few hundred yards or so it would clear.
I took the inlet manifold off last weekend to have a look and not only found the throttle body to be quite dirty, but also found some dirty oil (maybe with a touch of water in as these are prone to condensation with having a plastic rocker cover) in the base of the plastic housing where the ecu is. This along with the throttle body has been cleaned and since, I have not had the problem occur again.
I think that when reversing, the contaminated oil has been moving forward and into a sensor which leads to the carbon canister (if I remember correctly, hence the ticking noise) and its been taking a few hundred yards, sometimes more, to clear the system.
If this has happened or is happening to your 1.2 16v then do the above before taking it to a dealer, its an easy job to do so I thought I would share this ;)
Ps Last week it also started doing it (sometimes) going forwards, in busy traffic but once back to normal driving conditions, it cleared itself.

mx5
Not sure if its the same.
But if a few times recently, ill start the engine and the electrical fault/preheating warning light stays on, and when its on my revs just bounce and then it stalls itself.

if i give it lots of gas i can pull away(but it cuts out if you put the clutch down etc), and then after a minute or so of driving, the warning light goes out, and it goes completely back to normal

not sure if thats the same thing but its well annoying!

1.2 16v Dynamique.
It could be related to the same issue. I bet your throttle body is dirty. How many miles on yours ? Mine has 79k. Take the inlet manifold off. Its a bit tricky but only 4 star bolts and about 8 x 10mm manifold bolts then 2 milti plugs on throttle body itself. 4 star bolts hold the body to the manifold then pull it off. Inspect for dirt/contamination and clean it inside, as well as the buttuerfly with a rag and some petrol (which will out of the manifold) I even used a really soft tooth brush.
Dont forget to check for any oil lying inside the plastic base, if there's some there, clean it up and get it really clean.
Hope this helps !