ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Forged .... Running in....

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Anyone tell me what the scroll is for running in an engine with new rods in?

Just had some new forged rods in my mazda and am curious to know whats the best best/safest way to run the new rods in?

Due to get the car back very soon and possibly a few local meets..... But not much point in meets if i have to stay below 3k for 2000 miles!

Lionel Richie
loads of theories on this, i prefer doing it with "running in oil" and giving the engine load, none of this "keep it below 2000rpm for 1000miles"

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Ive been told to keep ot under 3k for 300 miles but not long motorway journeys but more little runs so cars gets to heat up fully and cool back down.
But i thought there would be many different theories to this.

When u say load... Do you mean wot in short bursts from 1k revs to 5k?
I guess different engines have better/worse ways of doing it

Lionel Richie
2nd gear and nail it to about 6k

none of this fully syn oil from day 1, cheap mineral oil, bit of load for half a day, drop the oil and put proper stuff in, done

HBT 172 Cup
Its had new rods (and presumably bearings), not rings... Drive it as you usually would, there is nothing to "bed in".

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Yeah just rods bearings arp bolts etc
Nothing to bed in but surely the new metal will need to adapt fully to the new/different heats changes?

Lionel Richie
they'll be heat treated at factory, they'll only ever see, what, about 2-300degC inside an engine, they'll have seen higher than that being heat treated

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
Just spoke to garage and he has just told me he has it on gentle map for 300 miles using half synthetic and have to go back when done a tankfull and will adjust map and change oil to fully synthetic. So all is good!

Yozza'd RB cup
Ive always kept the revs low (don't rev the tits off it) but load the engine up ie. low revs full throttle to medium revs. And also use engine braking too :)