ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Forged + supercharged as a daily

Ph1
What does a forged supercharged combo run like as a daily?
Is it all rough idling, dodgy cold starts and heavy clutch ?

Reason I'm asking is I feel a freshly built lump has a better chance if longevity where as throwing boost at my standard high miler lump is just asking for problems.

SQ5
Fine running as a daily as long as it's getting warm, so anything over 10-15 minutes your fine.

My forged supercharged one was a bit dodgy on cold but that was due to still running standard ECU with 330bhp!

Ph1
Fine running as a daily as long as it's getting warm, so anything over 10-15 minutes your fine.

My forged supercharged one was a bit dodgy on cold but that was due to still running standard ECU with 330bhp!

What clutch were you using at 330 Danny ?

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I use my forged Megane R26 as a daily. No issues with oil consumption so far after 12k miles. It's all going to depend on how tight your tolerances are though.

I think issue with an F4R engine is forged pistons are made of different material so don't expand and contract at same rate as the block.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
I've had no troubles whatsoever with my supercharged Trophy! Just ticked over 105k [emoji6]

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Ph1
Only thing that could be missing from the kit is the main pulley. Do you know what size Clios are running mate?

In the process of gathering the parts so for a stock engine:

Charger
Charger Brackets
Injectors
Intercooler / pipe work
Slim rad
225 keyd pulley
ECU

Have I missed anything lol ?

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Only thing that could be missing from the kit is the main pulley. Do you know what size Clios are running mate?

In the process of gathering the parts so for a stock engine:

Charger
Charger Brackets
Injectors
Intercooler / pipe work
Slim rad
225 keyd pulley
ECU

Have I missed anything lol ?

You don't need a slim rad, I just used the original. (I had little brackets that re-position the radiator to accommodate)

*Rotrex C30 supercharger and bracket
*Supercharger oil cooler and filter
*Engine oil cooler
*Pipework/hoses/filter
*Gen90 ECU or simmilar
*Forced induction MAP sensor
*Megane 225 injectors
*Megane 225 spark plugs
*Megane or 197 key-wayed crank pulley
*ARP conrod bolts (if you're going forged obviously these are irrelevant)
*The idle pulley is relocated and has a little washer that's sits behind it to guide the aux belt better
*I'd highly recommend a LSD it transforms the way the power gets delivered!

There might be bits and pieces I've forgotten...

Just a heads up though my entire supercharger kit from the Trophy will be up for sale soon which pretty much is all of the above, the only issue is that we're not sure about wether the charger has suffered any internal damage... So it will be going up for sale as a sold as seen potential bargain of the year! Or will require a replacement charger!

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
I don't see the fear factor with running a forged build as a daily, as long as it is built correctly with the specified tolerances it wont be an issue. I used my Mr2 Turbo that was fully forged as a daily and racked up 20+ thousand miles on it with zero issues, made the same power 4 years later and the engine was as healthy as ever

Ph1
Cheers for the advice.

Can't decide on the forge part yet. What puts me off is potential poor drivability, crap cold starting, juddery heavy uprated clutch like a on off tap, just generally hard to drive but is fresh and up to the job VS buying a second hand most likely high mileage engine with worn rings but drives with the ease of a stock car.

Does anyone know the size of the rotrex main pulley?

Ph1
You don't need a slim rad, I just used the original. (I had little brackets that re-position the radiator to accommodate)

*Rotrex C30 supercharger and bracket
*Supercharger oil cooler and filter
*Engine oil cooler
*Pipework/hoses/filter
*Gen90 ECU or simmilar
*Forced induction MAP sensor
*Megane 225 injectors
*Megane 225 spark plugs
*Megane or 197 key-wayed crank pulley
*ARP conrod bolts (if you're going forged obviously these are irrelevant)
*The idle pulley is relocated and has a little washer that's sits behind it to guide the aux belt better
*I'd highly recommend a LSD it transforms the way the power gets delivered!

There might be bits and pieces I've forgotten...

Just a heads up though my entire supercharger kit from the Trophy will be up for sale soon which pretty much is all of the above, the only issue is that we're not sure about wether the charger has suffered any internal damage... So it will be going up for sale as a sold as seen potential bargain of the year! Or will require a replacement charger!

Would you be splitting the kit mate, pipework, ecu etc?

Ph1
Forged would be fine but the charger won't last 20k

Do you mean with the extra boost or just in general mate?
Is the difference between stock lump charged and high boost forged acceleration like night and day? Looking at straight line speed forged seems to be a second quicker on a 1/4 mile.

SQ5
Do you mean with the extra boost or just in general mate?
Is the difference between stock lump charged and high boost forged acceleration like night and day? Looking at straight line speed forged seems to be a second quicker on a 1/4 mile.

In general, the rotrex isn't great reliability wise and don't last long at all. I've had 2 x 240/250 Bhp and a 330 Bhp one and it would definitely be more than a second.

But it's seems to be the Clio group that are having snags with them, the pug boys are running them for quite decent amount of miles around 40-60k

I think the key here is not over speeding them and monitoring the fluid temps of the s/c oil