ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FOUND A NEW car closer to me

bog standard unabused clio 172 in slver, air con etc, 35,000 m iles on a 52 plate for £5,700 does this sound like a good deal??

Plan on going to see it in a hour or so but want to get your opinions first.

trader garage....gimmie some tips on getting further discount

cash buyer.

Matt

does a cat D always me a car is totally fooked?

Im thinking I may give it a really good test drive and have a good look over it etc????

Matt

use the CAT D to knock the price down a little lower, but all it means is it was written off as it was damaged beyond economic repair

ive bought and sold loads of these cars, never had one problem with them either, so long as the work is completed to a satisfactory level, there will be no issues

get the price nearer to 5k and youll be laughing

insurance is no extra (well i havent noticed anyway)

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Quote: Originally posted by Bryan on 22 July 2005

use the CAT D to knock the price down a little lower, but all it means is it was written off as it was damaged beyond economic repair

ive bought and sold loads of these cars, never had one problem with them either, so long as the work is completed to a satisfactory level, there will be no issues

get the price nearer to 5k and youll be laughing

insurance is no extra (well i havent noticed anyway)
Yup bang on B !

My sisters car was recently written off (some daft lady hit her from a side street)

We got a good deal from insurers to get it back.... needed a new wing and door then was in at the bodyshop.

Got it back and was tested by VOSA and all was ok.

It made no diff on insurance..... apart from the car had a Cat D against it (big deal since its a £1400 car which now cost us £400) hehe

deff worth a look mate.....

LOL, I just presumed a cat D meant that the car definitely musta had a 4 grands worth of crash or something, it really can be as simple as a wing or so etc??

Matt

I wouldnt bother if I was you too much hassle, remember 36k is a big service. Could cost about £400 not sure when cambelt change is needed

Quote: Originally posted by scoobytyper26 on 22 July 2005
LOL, I just presumed a cat D meant that the car definitely musta had a 4 grands worth of crash or something, it really can be as simple as a wing or so etc??

nope damage equates to 60% (iirc) of trade value of the vehicle, extremely easy for cars to be written off now

Quote: Originally posted by Mark_Petty on 22 July 2005
I wouldnt bother if I was you too much hassle

no hassle at all buying a fully repaired CAT D, all the work has already been done

Ive got a Cat D registered mk2 172 with just over 20k on the clock. Paid less than £5k for it though. Done 19k miles since it was written off at the grand old age of 3 weeks! Nothing wrong with it so far apart from the exhaust rotting through which happens on just about any 172. Certainly dont pay £5.7k for it though.

And that car at £6k is a MK1...worth less than a mk2 of a similar age if only for the better interior and extra toys in a MK2.

Drop me a PM if you want any more info on Cat Ds....did my homework before buying the one that I have ;)

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

Quote: Originally posted by scoobytyper26 on 22 July 2005

Matt
Yup....

sisters car is a

1999 Pug 106 Zest3

Not a bad lil car.... very smart etc and lots of toys.

The only damage sustained was the wing, most of the passanger door, and a few scuffs on front bumper and back bumper.

It was the cost of respraying the side of the car that put the insurance company off.

so yes the damage CAN be as little as a door and a wing.

Dont forget... an insurance company gets its prices from Renault etc... Hardly competitive pricing is it ;)

Cat D can also be Stolen/Recovered. If the insurance company pay out on it, then its a car D forever! Might not have had any damage at all. I had no problems insuring mine btw. Told Tesco and it wasnt an issue.

thing is when you come to sell it (if you did get it) some people would be put off by the CAT D.
I would never touch a car that was recorded.

right then lads....found a 2003 clio 172 excellent condition, black 52 plate 40k, for £5,900.

HPI clear...1 previous keeper from new.

gotta travel 3 hours on train to get there, so does it sound like a good deal?

Matt

[Edited by scoobytyper26 on 23 July 2005 at 2:52pm]

[Edited by scoobytyper26 on 23 July 2005 at 3:00pm]

Quote: Originally posted by scoobytyper26 on 23 July 2005

right then lads....found a 2003 clio 172 excellent condition, black 52 plate 40k, for £5,900.
HPI clear...1 previous keeper from new.
gotta travel 3 hours on train to get there, so does it sound like a good deal?
Matt
We cant say if it will be or not (well i for one cant) as to be honest it could be a dog !
Just because the seller claims its in excellent condition doesnt mean that it is.
I have seen plenty of cars described as excellent or mint when i have got there i have been annoyed that they have lied to get me to see it.
Remember as well, pictures dont show up everything on a car.

My advice would be to look at it & then see if you want to buy it.