ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FRED, DANNY etc *HELP* Pass side shaft Boot replaced and still leaking gearbox oil.

Me and a friend have just replaced the Passenger Side Inner Driveshaft Boot on a Ph2 172 as it was leaking gearbox oil as i believe its a wet shaft setup..

I sourced a new gaiter and it came complete with the metal retaining plate and bearing seal.
The retaining plate is the one with the 3x 13mm bolts go through and screw into the gearbox casing and hold the gaiter on the gearbox.
I also fitted a new boot clip (on the smaller diamater) and tightened it up.

Upon fitting the new gaiter assembly to the shaft along with the new bearing seal fitted to the car no leaks were found after topping up the gearbox.
It was fine for a half hour of driving and then after an hour or so the oil started to drip out again.

The driveshaft O.D was free of dirt as was the new boot in the I.D prior to refitting it to the gearbox.
The gearbox sealing area (where the white nylon seal inside cv boot sits) was spotless too.

I'm stumped what it could be as the bolts are torqued up as per the Renault Service Manual for the 2.0 F4R engines.

Could it have been a bit of s**t on the seal area i have missed ?
Or is it a bigger problem.

I would have posted pics but dont have any to hand :(

The shaft would have been replaced but the outer cv boot was fine, and cv boot kit is cheaper from Renault.

Lionel Richie
Re: FRED, DANNY etc *HELP* Pass side shaft Boot replaced and still leaking gearbox o

how did you press the bearing on?

clio 172
Re: FRED, DANNY etc *HELP* Pass side shaft Boot replaced and still leaking gearbox o

The metal seal was damaged , ordered a new driveshaft, less hassle lol

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50

It is sometimes possible to incorrectly seal the gearbox when changing this shaft.

I find the trick is to do up x3 13mm bolts finger tight then spin the gaiter by hand a few times before finally putting them in tight. This ensures that there are no kinks in the CV Boot and that its sat flush with the mating face of the gearbox.

Mick

Problem solved.

My mate bought a new shaft with new white nylon seal in inside of the boot at the gearbox end
Seemed to do the trick :)