ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Freeview recorders ?

As Virgin Media have lost some channels which are still available on Freeview, I'm going to have to record them from another TV, so I want a Freeview recorder. Nothing fancy (probs would like HD, but not a must) just something to record on to.

What's good ? and quite cheap ?

It is a smart TV, but it's just a spare one so we only use it as a normal TV (plus going online with it is a PITA!)

What's the BT box called ? I want one that records, some of the ones I just saw on ebay are just players.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I bought a 1tb Bush one, it's nice and compact, basic AF but that's what I wanted. £90 delivered happy days. I just have to get the old surround sound to work.

Land Rover
As already said above, but was seemingly skipped over, a BT Youview box will work and they cost next to nothing on Ebay
They are a good quality unit as well, unlike some of the cheap tat on sale in supermarkets.

As already said above, but was seemingly skipped over, a BT Youview box will work and they cost next to nothing on Ebay
They are a good quality unit as well, unlike some of the cheap tat on sale in supermarkets.
Yeah I didn't want one.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Can someone explain this BT box to me a bit more please?

Is it just a freeview recorder/player no subscription etc??

Land Rover
Yeah I didn't want one.

Why not? I’ve installed dozens of Youview boxes.
They are the same as all the others, same method of recording, similar HDD, nice remote and all for about £30

Entirely up to you in the end of course, but l can’t see any disadvantages in fact the operation is more intuitive than many including Humax.

I wanted something small as we don't have much room. I worked out that the one I got would fit nicely under the TV.

Land Rover
Ah OK

The earlier Youview boxes were fairly large but the later ones such as the T4000 are fairly small

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
My parents have the new version box, works just fine??

Can someone explain this BT box to me a bit more please?

Is it just a freeview recorder/player no subscription etc??

Yep pretty much.

Land Rover
If a Youview box was “pathetic” it means either the signal was poor, the broadband (if connected) was not working properly, or it was a dud.
They are pretty much as good as it gets. Well, the later ones are anyway.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
If a Youview box was “pathetic” it means either the signal was poor, the broadband (if connected) was not working properly, or it was a dud.
They are pretty much as good as it gets. Well, the later ones are anyway.
Presumably a dud then. But it was woeful, 100%.

Land Rover
It does happen, although it’s rare. Most of the big name (BT Sky Virgin) boxes are made by major PVR players such as Humax.
I must have installed 2,000 PVR’s of various makes since they came out. The only really bad ones were the TVonics ones that were sold during the digital switchover in 2009.
Even the manufacturer couldn’t fix those.

And the first LG DVD/HDD recorders became increasingly glitchy as they got older.

On the whole l have found Sky, Virgin and BT boxes to be very reliable and most issues are caused by installation, signal feed (poor signal or in the case of terrestrial, water in the down lead) or telephone line connections.
Heavy rain caused an increase in phone calls “my Sky has gone off” but the new dishes/LNB’s are better and don’t drop out so easily.
Oh and customer misuse, although it’s always “the box” that’s defective.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
It does happen, although it’s rare. Most of the big name (BT Sky Virgin) boxes are made by major PVR players such as Humax.
I must have installed 2,000 PVR’s of various makes since they came out. The only really bad ones were the TVonics ones that were sold during the digital switchover in 2009.
Even the manufacturer couldn’t fix those.

And the first LG DVD/HDD recorders became increasingly glitchy as they got older.

On the whole l have found Sky, Virgin and BT boxes to be very reliable and most issues are caused by installation, signal feed (poor signal or in the case of terrestrial, water in the down lead) or telephone line connections.
Heavy rain caused an increase in phone calls “my Sky has gone off” but the new dishes/LNB’s are better and don’t drop out so easily.
Oh and customer misuse, although it’s always “the box” that’s defective.

I’d say that the BT box we had would’ve been from about 5 years ago. Can’t remember the brand, but it was awful - took nearly 10 minutes to load, and the TV Guide was pathetically slow and clunky. We got rid of it for Sky, and the HD box we had was a lot, lot better. We’ve got a 2TB Sky Q box now, and it’s flawless.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Can you use a FreeviewHD/YouView box without internet connection?

I guess you just miss out on extra functionality but can still make use of the extra channels, pause live tv, record etc etc?

Land Rover
You can record and playback and also pause live TV as long as the unit it set to instant record.
The guide will work but not for catch up of course.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
There seems to be a couple of versions of the Youview box... which is the one to get?

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
You won’t go far wrong with a DTR-T2100 or DTR-T4000
Just installed a DTR-T2100 for my folks following your recommendation. Paid £40 on eBay and it’s pretty decent compared to the 2010 Sony HDD recorder they had previously.

Not hooked up to the internet yet - I’ll give them some time to adjust to the new UI before bamboozling them with catch-up and on demand options.

Thank you

How smart is your smart tv?

On my Samsung you can plug an external hard drive in and record/schedule recordings to that.

Never done it, mind.