ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

French lump of s**t!!! More problems.....

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Ok,

So in line.with my usual luck with the car, i went to go to work today, didnt check that it was in neutrual.and went to.start the car...

it.jolted forward, was.in 5th, not sure how.or.why.

put it in neutral, went to start, nothing. i hear a click, it doesnt try to turn at all.

try over and over and it doesnt always click. battery light comes.and.goes but it doesnt try to.turn.

battery is 9 months.old max ...

done.a search which suggests starter motor but not tried jump/bump as im at work. will try when.i get in.

any other thoughts?

sorry for.the.formatting... typing.over vnc.on my phone and the space bar is.tiny.

The starter could be stuck on the flywheel ringear. With ignition off, put it in 4th & push it back & forwards a bit. If that's the problem you should hear the starter click off from the gear. Hope that helps

Clio II 1.2 16V
On the older Renault that I've owned R19,meganes there a white wire, that likes to work it way off the starter motor. Not sure if the newer renault are the same, But if there are , then it's a simple, push it back on job. Simple spade terminal

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Well, tried rocking it, it sounded like something disengaged but no go.

It finally got going with a bump start, drove fine.

Got it home and it wouldn't restart :(

Here's what it's doing after the short run that I gave it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio 182
My Corsa did exactly the same with a dead battery, but it should of charged it with a short drive, unless your alternator has packed in too

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Ok, It's a dodgy earth.

Just jumped -ve on the battery to the engine block and it fired up first time.

Does anyone have a list of earth points on a ph2 172?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
main ones are from the box to the body in the passenger wheel arch, and from the battery to the body next to the headlight. there's another from the ecu loom to the gearbox just above the passenger driveshaft

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
What gauge is the wire, Dan? Is it sourceable from a local motor shop?

Also, how do I test? I'm pretty handy with a multimeter.

Are the 2 to/from the box easily accessible with the airbox / feeds out ?

Obviously a bit late to go checking now.

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Will it glaringly just not be making contact? I mean, a continuity test with a multimeter isn't really going to tell me the strength of the connection.

Also, wheel off job? as my friend still has my locking wheel nut key and I lost his phone number!

At least I can start the car now though.

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Yup it was box->chassis, hanging on by a couple of strands of braid :O

Garage wanted £55, I got an earth cable for £9.01 and 99p for a new larger terminal.

45 minutes later and it's working a treat.

Thanks all, especially Dan for giving me where to look.